No announcement yet.

Munster v Leinster x 2 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will CJ and Clote be able to get back from SA?

They’ll need 2 week’s isolating, already 1 week into 3 week off season, so should be returning this weekend?
    Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Originally posted by ScrummieMan View Post

Yes, though I doubt he will come straight back into side.

and yes.
      Whats the story likely to be with Joey and Tadgh?

With Jonny the loop playing so badly, JJ playing so well, the new boys in place and hopefully CJ back and able to go - could be a bit tricky for Leinster.
      ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
      AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post

Whats the story likely to be with Joey and Tadgh?

With Jonny the loop playing so badly, JJ playing so well, the new boys in place and hopefully CJ back and able to go - could be a bit tricky for Leinster.
        In Beirne’s interview on HOR, he said that he was originally set to be back for the final pro14 regular season match, so you’d imagine he should be in the mix for the Leinster match.
        http://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/tadhg-...r-rugby-211927

Comment

If we have everybody fit and available, then on paper anyway, there shouldn’t be much between the teams. Player-for-player, the only position I think Leinster have a significant advantage in is at tighthead - where we really need Ryan to have a big season:

1. Killer vs Healy - Equal
          2. Scannell vs Kelleher - Advantage Leinster
          3. Ryan vs Furlong - Advantage Leinster
          4. Kleyn vs Ryan - Advantage Leinster
          5. Snyman vs Toner - Advantage Munster
          6. Beirne vs Fardy - Equal
          7. O’Mahony vs Van Der Flier - Advantage Munster
          8. Stander vs Doris - Advantage Munster
          9. Murray vs McGrath - Advantage Munster
          10. Carberry/JJ vs Sexton - Advantage Leinster
          11. Conway vs Kearney - Advantage Munster
          12. De Allende vs Henshaw - Advantage Munster
          13. Farrell vs Ringrose - Equal
          14. Earls vs Lowe - Advantage Leinster
          15. Haley vs Larmour - Advantage Leinster

In terms of continuity, you’d imaging Leinster will have significant advantage with both personnel and game plan.

Comment

Originally posted by Mumhain View Post
            If we have everybody fit and available, then on paper anyway, there shouldn’t be much between the teams. Player-for-player, the only position I think Leinster have a significant advantage in is at tighthead - where we really need Ryan to have a big season:

In terms of continuity, you’d imaging Leinster will have significant advantage with both personnel and game plan.
            Joey before Jonny for me and Fardy before Beirne.

Winnable for Munster - their season rests on it and will be more up for it..

Comment

What is the story injury wise? has there been any updates in relation to Klyen, Beirne, Carbery etc.
              "The PRO12 is our domestic league, it's what you earn your bread and butter from; it's what pays the bills. We need to broaden our emphasis and get an understanding in Irish rugby that the domestic league from now on is most important and that's what qualifies you now for Europe.'' Garrett Fitzgerald, CEO Munster

Comment

My memory of it is that Edinburgh were expected to field their strongest team. Overall Van has taken risks and selections have been good - with this one however (hindsight not required) - I think he just got it wrong..
                You may well be right- my memory is different- in that it was surprising their selection looked full strength, while the expectation was both would protect stronger players for later games. In the event, despite selecting a lot of inexperienced players we got close- had we won it would have been a master stroke of selection- blooding younger players, resting senior players and getting the points. The margins are very tight, losing to anyone else cost 4/5 points, losing to them was 8-10. In hindsight, wonderful, isn’t it, looks like a bad call. Another way of looking at it is whether the younger players who played that night advanced more than they would have done given a crack at a home game against Kings. Unfortunately we do not have Leinster’s strength to be able in introduce new players when being fairly assured of the result (but note 3-0 win in Zebre), so a weakened election, if you are going well o hold the points, needs to factor in the opposition. Against direct rivals- just a bad decision I think.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

You may well be right- my memory is different- in that it was surprising their selection looked full strength, while the expectation was both would protect stronger players for later games. In the event, despite selecting a lot of inexperienced players we got close- had we won it would have been a master stroke of selection- blooding younger players, resting senior players and getting the points. The margins are very tight, losing to anyone else cost 4/5 points, losing to them was 8-10. In hindsight, wonderful, isn’t it, looks like a bad call. Another way of looking at it is whether the younger players who played that night advanced more than they would have done given a crack at a home game against Kings. Unfortunately we do not have Leinster’s strength to be able in introduce new players when being fairly assured of the result (but note 3-0 win in Zebre), so a weakened election, if you are going well o hold the points, needs to factor in the opposition. Against direct rivals- just a bad decision I think.
                  Agree with the point about selecting specific games for introducing young players, but not entirely sure that Edinburgh defeat was down to introducing young players. Ben Healy and Shane Daly were the only starting players that didn’t have at least three seasons played in professional rugby. The pack was fairly experienced, but lacked a bit of power.

There is definitely merit in the argument that JJ should have been starting over Healy, but I would be reluctant to criticize Van Graan for that selection as Munster were in the middle of a set of crucial champions cup matches and Hanrahan was the only fit senior option at fly-half. Edinburgh also had the advantage of being able to field a full team, because they only had the challenge cup to contend with.

I think Munster have a great chance to replicate what Leinster have been doing in the pro14, by pairing two world class players ( Fardy + Lowe at Leinster and Snyman + De Allende at Munster ) with inexperienced players. We have probably had the stand-out Irish player at the last three under-20 six nations ( O’Sullivan, Casey, Ahern ), so we have no real excuses not to give our young guys opportunities. With all due respect to Sweetnam, R. Scannell, Archer, Holland, O’Donnell and N.Cronin, I think we know at this point what these guys offer, so it would seem like a wasted opportunity if we were to partner them with Snyman and De Allende against the likes of the Southern Kings and the lower placed teams in the pro14. A nice blend of experienced guys pushing for the starting XV and youngsters that look like being future Irish Internationals should be the priority in the pro14 matches against the weaker teams, in my opinion.

The following team could have a nice balance of both and should have too much for the majority of pro14 teams:
                  1. Loughman, 2. Marshall, 3. Salamona, 4. Snyman, 5. Ahern, 6. Coombes, 7. O’Donoghue, 8. O’Sullivan, 9. Casey, 10. Hanrahan, 11. Daly, 12. Goggin, 13. De Allende, 14. French, 15. Flannery

Comment

Agree with the point about selecting specific games for introducing young players, but not entirely sure that Edinburgh defeat was down to introducing young players. Ben Healy and Shane Daly were the only starting players that didn’t have at least three seasons played in professional rugby. The pack was fairly experienced, but lacked a bit of power.

There is definitely merit in the argument that JJ should have been starting over Healy, but I would be reluctant to criticize Van Graan for that selection as Munster were in the middle of a set of crucial champions cup matches and Hanrahan was the only fit senior option at fly-half. Edinburgh also had the advantage of being able to field a full team, because they only had the challenge cup to contend with.

I think Munster have a great chance to replicate what Leinster have been doing in the pro14, by pairing two world class players ( Fardy + Lowe at Leinster and Snyman + De Allende at Munster ) with inexperienced players. We have probably had the stand-out Irish player at the last three under-20 six nations ( O’Sullivan, Casey, Ahern ), so we have no real excuses not to give our young guys opportunities. With all due respect to Sweetnam, R. Scannell, Archer, Holland, O’Donnell and N.Cronin, I think we know at this point what these guys offer, so it would seem like a wasted opportunity if we were to partner them with Snyman and De Allende against the likes of the Southern Kings and the lower placed teams in the pro14. A nice blend of experienced guys pushing for the starting XV and youngsters that look like being future Irish Internationals should be the priority in the pro14 matches against the weaker teams, in my opinion.

The following team could have a nice balance of both and should have too much for the majority of pro14 teams:
                    1. Loughman, 2. Marshall, 3. Salamona, 4. Snyman, 5. Ahern, 6. Coombes, 7. O’Donoghue, 8. O’Sullivan, 9. Casey, 10. Hanrahan, 11. Daly, 12. Goggin, 13. De Allende, 14. French, 15. Flannery

IIRC it was McCarthy's poor opening pass that put us 7 behind at the start and may have been the difference between the sides that day, Healy's performance was excellent. Not sure starting JJ would have won that game.

I agree I would not blame Van Graan for this selection. We always want to see gametime for our promising young and this loss, though costly, will stick to them. Would love to see Healy get more starts!
                    Good things happen to those who wait, though mostly much too late.

Comment

was it "hey you're looking a bit trimmer" or something a bit more subtle?
                      Ag,
                      as you probably gather from my postings , I don't do subtle very well....

in reply, he just said they didn't have much else to do at the moment except fitness, so if Stephen is anything to go by, I'd say the players will be in really great shape when they return.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Originally posted by ephileth View Post

IIRC it was McCarthy's poor opening pass that put us 7 behind at the start and may have been the difference between the sides that day, Healy's performance was excellent. Not sure starting JJ would have won that game.

I agree I would not blame Van Graan for this selection. We always want to see gametime for our promising young and this loss, though costly, will stick to them. Would love to see Healy get more starts!
                        Also have an abiding memory of that- McCarthy absolutely skewered Healy with that pass- and I was really impressed with how Healy gradually got his game back. But that wasn’t against Edinburgh. We lost that error strewn game after conceding in the opening 2 minutes after a poor kick reception and ragged defence on the line. Their second try was a cross field kick over badly placed Wootton. Very costly 2 point loss in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

Also have an abiding memory of that- McCarthy absolutely skewered Healy with that pass- and I was really impressed with how Healy gradually got his game back. But that wasn’t against Edinburgh. We lost that error strewn game after conceding in the opening 2 minutes after a poor kick reception and ragged defence on the line. Their second try was a cross field kick over badly placed Wootton. Very costly 2 point loss in the end.
                          Healy had a bash on the nose either in the warm up or right at the start of the game.

He played very well.

Comment

If everyone is fit etc you would have Fardy at 4, Ryan at 5, Ruddock at 6, Leavy at 7

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Comment

I predict that there will be supporters in a reduced capacity. Hottest tickets in town.

Comment

Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post

If everyone is fit etc you would have Fardy at 4, Ryan at 5, Ruddock at 6, Leavy at 7

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
                                What a bizzare question. I'd pick their U12's if possible
                                Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                                Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Working...
                                X