Salanoa to Munster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salanoa to Munster

Dunno much about this guy but it looks like the brainstrust mean business next season. I wonder where this leaves Keynan Knox? https://www.the42.ie/roman-salanoa-m...ypJ7-VXkNU4myw
    Last edited by B.A.; 13th-May-2020, 20:53.
    When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Very interesting
    "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Surprising but I think Knox is safe as he has great potential. Is Parker staying? Both Archer and Ryan are 32 so maybe they are preparing for their retirements over the next few years. Knox, Parker and Salanoa might be the options for the future?

Comment

More diluting of Munster's identity, and not really fair on Leinster either, who've invested the time in developing a great athletic talent who only had one year of rugby under his belt when he came to Ireland. It's slowly becoming like New Zealand and their franchises.

I could understand this but John Ryan, Archer and Keynan Knox are all available. Salanoa had become fourth choice at Leinster (ahead of Abdaladze and Aungier), so why the push from the IRFU for him to instead become fourth choice at Munster? The original Connacht angle might have made more sense as he'd probably have challenged Robertson-McCoy to be Connacht's second choice tight-head behind Finlay Bealham.

Comment

Very strange.
          Scott has had an awful time with injuries, and on the (fairly safe I’d imagine) assumption that this guy is getting some form of a senior deal then that’s Scott and Parker getting released this summer.
          Maybe this guy is on the cusp of making a real impact, but with Ryan out of the Ireland squad his game time could be very limited.
          If it’s game time he needs then he’s much better off at Connacht, if he still needs training up then why leave Leinster?
          Very strange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          \"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane\"

Comment

Originally posted by Crazyemerald View Post
            Surprising but I think Knox is safe as he has great potential. Is Parker staying? Both Archer and Ryan are 32 so maybe they are preparing for their retirements over the next few years. Knox, Parker and Salanoa might be the options for the future?
            Think the article says a lot too, IRFU pushing a move and looks like player didn't fancy Connacht. With Ryan and Archer both 32, I think we would be looking next year as question Marks over Scott and Parker.

Comment

Seems Nucifora-ley in nature. Murray would not go to such lengths mentioning 'IRFU led' so much

John Ryan and Archer are not international standard it is deemed, maybe the mothership wants Knox and one other to be pushing for irish caps in 2 years time?

You can never have too many prospects, well........ You can, but we don't have that problem. The conveyor belt provides once more
              I am the million man.

Comment

Munster starting to put together a serious looking pack now. Not a big fan of the amount or standard of some of munsters recent signings, but Salanoa is an excellent signing.
                Two great prospects at TH now. Munster are developing a lot of talent elsewhere in the pack. Wych*2, Ahern, Hodnett, Coombes, O’Sullivan - I would expect some to get into European 23s next season.

Comment

Disappointing that our three best prospects at TH are likely to be an Englishman, a South African and a Hawaiian.

Seems we’re still struggling to develop quality players in that position.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post
                    Disappointing that our three best prospects at TH are likely to be an Englishman, a South African and a Hawaiian.

Seems we’re still struggling to develop quality players in that position.
                    Do you mean Parker? With 4 other tight heads on the books surely he’s gone now?

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                      Seems Nucifora-ley in nature. Murray would not go to such lengths mentioning 'IRFU led' so much

John Ryan and Archer are not international standard it is deemed, maybe the mothership wants Knox and one other to be pushing for irish caps in 2 years time?

You can never have too many prospects, well........ You can, but we don't have that problem. The conveyor belt provides once more
                      Hardly the conveyor belt, unless it extends to Hawaii. U20 cap at 18 in probably the most physically demanding position on the pitch shows that the guy was most of the way there when he trialled with them- ok there was and is still a lot of finishing to do, but doing that under Rowntrees beady eye is surely better in his, Ireland’s and Munsters interest.

Archer and Ryan will have to work harder with Knox and himself snapping at their heels, and if they cannot dominate two guys ten years younger, then that’s not in anyone’s interest. It makes life harder for Parker and Scott, both of whom I have a lot of time for- and I hope both will still be with us, developing in the slip stream over the next couple of years. By then with Archer and Ryan close to mid thirties, we won’t look at all shabby. Would I prefer he was Munster born? Of course I would, but this is a no brainier for Munster and Ireland.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

Hardly the conveyor belt, unless it extends to Hawaii. U20 cap at 18 in probably the most physically demanding position on the pitch shows that the guy was most of the way there when he trialled with them- ok there was and is still a lot of finishing to do, but doing that under Rowntrees beady eye is surely better in his, Ireland’s and Munsters interest.

Archer and Ryan will have to work harder with Knox and himself snapping at their heels, and if they cannot dominate two guys ten years younger, then that’s not in anyone’s interest. It makes life harder for Parker and Scott, both of whom I have a lot of time for- and I hope both will still be with us, developing in the slip stream over the next couple of years. By then with Archer and Ryan close to mid thirties, we won’t look at all shabby. Would I prefer he was Munster born? Of course I would, but this is a no brainier for Munster and Ireland.
                        Ah yeah three years professional coaching in the leinster academy for a player new to the game, i'm sure he learned nothing and barely improved. Thank god munster are their world-renowned prop development setup can get their hands on him now.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

It makes life harder for Parker and Scott, both of whom I have a lot of time for- and I hope both will still be with us, developing in the slip stream over the next couple of years.
                          6 senior tight heads on contracts in a post covid 19 world? Not a snowballs chance in hell. With Ryan out of the Irish set up and likely to have another 3 years in him I’m amazed we got approval for 4

Comment

An Englishman a Scotsman and a Hawaiian walk into a bar........ ah never mind.

Comment

Munster have had a some decent TH props come through system but none have got academy offers:

Dylan Murphy(U23/Bantry Bay-Roscrea/Cork Con) - irish u18/u19, key member of best team in the AIL
                              James Kendrick(U23/Rockwell/Cashel) - irish u18, played Munster A this season.
                              Peter Kelleher(/U23CBC Cork/Cork Con) - irish u18, recently returned to senior rugby usually as bench prop for Con.
                              Bryan O'Connor(U22/PBC Cork/UCC) - irish u18/u19, starting 3 for UCC.
                              Luke Masters(U21/CBC Cork/Cork) - irish u18/u19/20, joined Cork Con after being based in Limerick for a season due to sub-academy.

Look like they are trying to convert academy prop James French(U22/Bandon/UCC) from LH to TH.

Beyond that Mark Donnelly(CBC Cork) was starting TH for last seasons irish u18's, but given his size is more of a LH at pro level. And Darragh McSweeney(PBC Cork) was involved with irish u18 squads this season.

No one from Limerick springs to mind.
                              Last edited by ScrummieMan; 14th-May-2020, 08:25.

Comment

Working...
                              X