Financial repercussions of Covid-19?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wallyman View Post

You really should read up the thread. I posted a link to the statement from WR last night.(a mere 6 posts above yours)
    Very fair point... if, perhaps, a little testily made.

Comment

All points here are testily made :)

Comment

It seems pretty clear that rugby is going to have to quickly adapt to a 'new normal' at different levels in a variety of ways.

E.g. tweaking of the rules at underage & amateur levels to reduce potential needless extra virus infection transmission opportunities at a minimum e.g. no scrum resets, etc, etc . This could even be extended further to reduce or even perhaps eliminate close contact altogether e.g. rugby could have to evolve along the lines of the tag game say!?

Social distancing in the clubhouses & bar areas, changing rooms, major modifications to the game's laws, team training, preparation & coaching.

On the professional side , in addition to the kind of changes listed above, the 'new normal' may entail carving out a new, improvised business model derived from playing, possibly new competitions, to 1/3 full stadia, (due to infection prevention regulations), whereby the majority of revenue must be derived from tv & advertising.

Things like inter country travel for teams & supporters may be effectively be out for ~2 years, or longer. This may radically effect competition structures (e.g. 6Ns, Lions, Wcups) ,competitive fixtures, if they are allowed at all that is!!

This is all going to be massively challenging. It may result in a very slimmed down, rationalized version of the pro game we have currently (less clubs, less international fixtures & competitions and resulting tighter funding, etc)

Worse, depending how long this aversion to infectious diseases continues, e.g. if it goes on for 4-5 years say, it may even threaten the sport existentially.

E.g. contact sports like rugby, boxing, wrestling , etc could in that kind of scenario, become things of the past. Or even if they are retained in some form, or other, it may not be possible because of public health guidelines &/or concerns to justify a full professional sport set up, like we have become accustomed to. The income will have fallen so significantly as to not make the professional sport viable. It's all quite concerning tbh....

Of course, it may be manageable in the interim, and in ~2 years a vaccine, or other developments, will allow things revert to trend say. But if that doesn't transpire, and maybe sports are mandated to proactively protect against future similar strands of flu virus, and potential pandemics, etc then we could be looking at a different outcome.....
        Last edited by Daithi; 28-May-2020, 20:13.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Sex Workers Can Get Back to Business in Switzerland, But Sports Remain Prohibited
          https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...irus-reopening

I think it might give us an idea where sports rank on the priority scale of governments, when they're only possibly allowed back well after prostitution!!!

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Originally posted by Daithi View Post
            Sex Workers Can Get Back to Business in Switzerland, But Sports Remain Prohibited
            https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...irus-reopening

I think it might give us an idea where sports rank on the priority scale of governments, when they're only possibly allowed back well after prostitution!!!
            Whats wrong with prostitution you dirty old bastard
            My computer thinks I'm gay
            What's the difference anyway
            When all the people do all day
            Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post
              While I agree that getting things back on track is the sensible thing to do, that doesn’t address the major losses all/most unions have suffered.
              The losses are already lost in my opinion, you just have to adjust and try to limit the cost. The major expense in Irish rugby is player wages and there will need to be solidarity across the board, particularly with the higher earners on the field as well as the boardroom, when wage cuts come on the table.

The IRFU is totally dependant on matchday gate revenue and that's not coming back and I can't see TV money plugging the gap for any tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by sewa View Post

Whats wrong with prostitution you dirty old bastard
                Welcome back sewa
                "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

It looks like more SA teams joining the pro 14. Quality opposition but you'd have to ask how feasible it is https://www.ultimaterugby.com/news/s...-report/627556
                  When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

Originally posted by B.A. View Post
                    It looks like more SA teams joining the pro 14. Quality opposition but you'd have to ask how feasible it is https://www.ultimaterugby.com/news/s...-report/627556
                    Would certainly be good to improve the quality, but that would mean more SA teams than any other nationality- which - if that means voting rights etc- isn’t something our Celtic cousins, or Italy, would welcome. Similarly, I’d have thought that the drive to align the international calendar will mean there won’t be any more complexity added in the short term- this would almost certainly mean extra fixtures and substantially more travel. Perhaps four ‘national’ conferences- (Scotland and Italy combine) each team playing home and away within the conference- top two to go through to home and away knock out quarters- might be fun. Alternatively another couple of sides and we’d be in two division territory (cue chorus of complaint from everyone except Irish and SA team).

Comment

Munster, (and Leinster) cancel their kids summer rugby camps as well as 'schools of excellence' (week long residential for youth players) All are good income earners for both.

Combined with no season ticket sales ... another big hole in finances for the provinces
                      Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

SBP article yesterday, mainly focus on expected €8million deficit expected in Leinster

IRFU talking about permanent wage cuts, staff on 4 day weeks, IRPU not too happy.

Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

With the proposed Rugby Club Championship (16 clubs around the world) it might bring more funding to the club game assuming the money goes to the IRFU to distribute a I suspect only one Irish team will be involved

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                          X