Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Financial repercussions of Covid-19?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Financial repercussions of Covid-19?

    Just wondering where do people think we stand financially. I know the provinces are heavily backed by the IRFU but Munster rugby have to generate a good portion of the finance themselves. Most seasons we have over 10,000 pre-sold season tickets. Those tickets would be on sale now.. Obviously that can't be done with the possibilities being, no games, games behind closed doors or games with a very limited crowd..

    Are there any 20/21 season tickets being sold or are we paying refunds on the 2019/2020 season tickets?

    The wage bill must have expanded with the 2 new SA lads coming in.

    I don't think the IRFU make much from touring Oz (open to correction on that) our cash cow is the November internationals? I wonder how badly do we need those to go ahead.

    I see the president of the GAA taking what looks like a very noble approach in saying saying that there will be no games as long as social distancing is in place and that restarting games would not be worth it if even one of the associations members lives were cost due to restarting too early. I must say I agree but I was surprised to hear John Horan stating that given the the GAA are facing losses of 40+ million this year if the championship is cancelled or even behind closed doors with little TV money for domestic sports.

    Does the GAA, stance put pressure on the IRFU to take a similarly honorable stance? Given the close contact in rugby is higher that most other sports and the fact our league requires international travel they will nearly have to.

    So many questions. Of course I am aware that sport is just a small consideration compared to what people are going through at the moment. I hope my mussing about the financials don't come across as insensitive. My sincere apologies if they do.

    #2
    I know ROG was saying in his Examiner column that La Rochelle were really grateful to their fans who said on social media that they didn’t want a season Ticket refund. Every little helps https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...re-998329.html

    It’s obviously a personal choice, but I’d be fine with Munster keeping my ticket money from this season if it helps the club be more financially secure. The money is a sunk cost at this stage. I’m lucky that my job hasn’t been overly impacted by Covid so far, and many are not that fortunate, but I’d like to hear other opinions on this
    "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

    Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

    Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

    Comment


      #3
      I would be happy if they gave us the option Waterfordlad. Like you, I would be happy for them to keep this season's money even if the season is abandoned as for sure this is when they need it most. Of course not everyone would be in that situation. If they offered a season ticket for next year I would buy it now. Vital we keep this squad together over the next few seasons
      Last edited by Crazyemerald; 13-May-2020, 18:58.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Crazyemerald View Post
        I would be happy if they gave us the option Waterfordlad. Like you, I would be happy for them to keep this season's money even if the season is abandoned as for sure this is when they need it most. Of course not everyone would be in that situation. If they offered a season ticket for next year I would buy it now. Vital we keep this squad together over the next few seasons
        Same here. But then again I am in a very fortunate position in France having been able to work from home and not take any pay cut!
        Good things happen to those who wait, though mostly much too late.

        Comment


          #5
          As someone living in the UK who cannot get to all the games I’d want to, I buy a season dual season ticket every year to give me the freedom to make last minute decisions- and have done so for years. I realise that I am in a fortunate position financially, and am in a similar position to those above, working from home on full pay.

          I think it would be wrong of Munster to put the hand out and email all season ticket holders- but if they promoted an email address that would allow us to voluntarily sacrifice the remainder of our season ticket- I’d happily do so. I know I will also continue to buy my season tickets as usual, without hoping for a reduction because of lost games- again perhaps it would help Munster if their marketing people were to get on to arranging such a sacrifice/ new season ticket arrangement.

          Comment


            #6
            Crowd funding is clearly the answer here. Pass the bucket!
            Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
            Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

            Comment


              #7
              same for me as waterfordlad

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post
                I know ROG was saying in his Examiner column that La Rochelle were really grateful to their fans who said on social media that they didn’t want a season Ticket refund. Every little helps https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...re-998329.html

                It’s obviously a personal choice, but I’d be fine with Munster keeping my ticket money from this season if it helps the club be more financially secure. The money is a sunk cost at this stage. I’m lucky that my job hasn’t been overly impacted by Covid so far, and many are not that fortunate, but I’d like to hear other opinions on this
                Same I have 2x five year tickets ,, it is wat it is an ,, and we buy to make sure the club is supported financially


                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                Comment


                  #9
                  I thought we are a Province

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post
                    Crowd funding is clearly the answer here. Pass the bucket!
                    Not yet required but as mentioned elsewhere this seasons ticket has been already being paid for so if the season does not go a head I've no problem not getting a refund we support a club but also a commercial enterprise that needs the revenue that we the supporters help provide.
                    Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Couple of interesting articles here on the finances -
                      https://www.the42.ie/irfu-philip-bro...05720-May2020/
                      Reading between the lines there I'd say the IRFU are trying to keep the 27m from the Newlands Cross sale in the bank and survive on reduced salaries and govenment subsidies during Covid. Don't know it that is going to fly though. Lots of demands on government coffers, sport could be down the pecking order.

                      https://www.the42.ie/leinster-cancel...06871-May2020/
                      We sell over 10k season tickets too, this is going to hurt you'd think.

                      Aside from getting the game back on and getting people watching rugby I'm not sure hos the idea of interpros in August. If players need to be rested and isolated for a week before games is this going to be loss making. I presume this is just an Irish inter pro championship and not part of the pro14 season. No spectators and probably not a lot of TV money.

                      With our new SA signings going ahead though it does seem like the IRFU have some financial reserves or backing that we are not aware of.



                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by hayeser View Post
                        Couple of interesting articles here on the finances -
                        https://www.the42.ie/irfu-philip-bro...05720-May2020/
                        Reading between the lines there I'd say the IRFU are trying to keep the 27m from the Newlands Cross sale in the bank and survive on reduced salaries and govenment subsidies during Covid. Don't know it that is going to fly though. Lots of demands on government coffers, sport could be down the pecking order.

                        https://www.the42.ie/leinster-cancel...06871-May2020/
                        We sell over 10k season tickets too, this is going to hurt you'd think.

                        Aside from getting the game back on and getting people watching rugby I'm not sure hos the idea of interpros in August. If players need to be rested and isolated for a week before games is this going to be loss making. I presume this is just an Irish inter pro championship and not part of the pro14 season. No spectators and probably not a lot of TV money.

                        With our new SA signings going ahead though it does seem like the IRFU have some financial reserves or backing that we are not aware of.


                        They spent the money from the Newlands Cross sale to buy their HQ. It’s tied up in that.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          very interesting suggestion here...(from RTÉ)

                          Former Rugby Football Union chief executive Francis Baron believes a 'Coronavirus Cup of World Rugby' next summer could significantly ease the economic hardship facing the global game because of the pandemic. Regards

                          Baron has drawn up an independent financial rescue plan and at its heart is a 16-team invitational tournament to be held in the UK and Ireland next June and July, using the 2015 World Cup hosted by England as a template.

                          Staging the competition for 31 matches over six weeks would mean postponing the British and Irish Lions tour of South Africa, scheduled for next July, but Baron thinks it is a necessary sacrifice which would benefit all unions.

                          "The RFU should take a leadership position and propose to other major unions and World Rugby that a special one-off tournament be held in the UK and Ireland in June and July next year," Baron told Telegraph Sport.

                          "Its key selling point is that all the money raised would be for keeping the game of rugby alive around the world.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            interesting idea
                            The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
                            - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Upfront_1979 View Post
                              interesting idea
                              I realise it would make for a long season- but with the proceeds properly shared out could be a real money spinner for the game world wide- perhaps even worth sacrificing the 6N for - just this year- and if properly planned in before fixtures are nailed down, perhaps it could work without compromising player welfare.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X