Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When will the 2020-21 season start?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #61
    Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

    You seem a bit fixated on the very local element of this. Potential clashes with local Irish sporting fixtures are not going to significantly influence the structure of a global rugby season.

    The issues are finding enough weekends for all the established club and international competitions, opportunities for developing nations, the nature and timing of inter-hemisphere competitions, player welfare etc.
    I cant disagree with what a word you said.

    Comment


      #62
      From a selfish point of view I'd hate for rugby to move to the summer. There's feck all else to look forward to in January and February besides the weekend game.
      When things go wrong, blame McGahan

      Comment


        #63
        Thought this was interesting. With our union being the owner of the provincial sides and therefore the ultimate employer of all players in Ireland, are there significant differences to how the same issue will be handled here?

        Premiership players and clubs face hard choice over waivers on rugby's return

        Premiership players face having to sign disclaimers before returning to training due to fears clubs and their doctors will not have the necessary insurance policies in place to cover against coronavirus claims, a leading sports lawyer has warned.

        World Rugby has issued guidelines urging clubs and unions to ensure they are “adequately insured” but there is considerable doubt as to whether insurance companies would offer that level of indemnity before players return to their clubs.

        Richard Cramer of Front Row Legal believes there will also be serious concern among club doctors, who would want full insurance cover before players return – with the Premiership hopeful they can resume training on 1 June. Without that level of protection, players could be required to sign waivers.

        “Clubs need to be very wary of exposing themselves to claims,” Cramer told the Observer. “Where I would be nervous if I was a club is just seeing what the insurance market is doing. As a club, I don’t think you can have any high degree of confidence that the existing insurance policies would indemnify the club. So potentially the clubs are taking a risk getting back on the playing field and exposing players.

        “If I was in that situation I would certainly be wanting to make sure that full insurance is in place, but they might not get a decision from insurers for some time. In which case, doctors and medical teams will have to cover their own backs and there may have to be new types of disclaimers signed by the clubs and the players, because certainly a doctor would not want that level of responsibility.

        “I’m not saying that a disclaimer would get a club out of trouble but it does make it more difficult to bring a claim. But it may be regarded as an unfair variation of a contract to sign a disclaimer to waive any claims arising from Covid-19.”

        World Rugby has advised players to complete a daily questionnaire as part of a screening process on returning to training. The governing body also stated that “all unions should ensure that their policies require written confirmation from players and staff that they understand the risks involved in returning to training and playing”.

        Signing disclaimer forms would raise serious legal concerns, however, with the World Players’ Association, which represents around 85,000 sportsmen and women including rugby players “We have seen some research that athletes may be particularly vulnerable to serious symptoms,” said the union’s executive director, Brendan Schwab.

        “We are concerned that some sports bodies are trying to place the economic and legal risk of contracting the disease on to players and that is something which we think should not be tolerated.”

        And while the issue has already reared its head within the Premier League’s Project Restart, Cramer believes it is all the more complicated in rugby . “It’s a bit easier in football because there is less physical contact,” he said.

        “It’s very different in rugby and that’s why there has been talk of disbanding scrummaging. The biggest danger is that with players who are training at their maximum peak, often their immune systems are lower because of the physical exertions they put on their body.

        “Personally, I think players might quite like the idea of getting back to work and training, but when it comes to that key moment of no turning back, they’ll want that high degree of comfort that they’re medically safe. If I was advising a player I would want to know exactly what level of insurance is in place and what the player is covered for.”
        Tis but a scratch.

        Comment


          #64
          BBC has a detailed story on how Pro14 will return. In short, two rounds of Behind closed doors home country fixtures in August, followed by semi and final sept 17-19.
          also suggestion that HCup will be completed. Before new season begins- unclear to me from reading it what account will be taken of points as they stand, or fixtures not completed.

          full story

          https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/52591345



          Comment


            #65
            Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post
            BBC has a detailed story on how Pro14 will return. In short, two rounds of Behind closed doors home country fixtures in August, followed by semi and final sept 17-19.
            also suggestion that HCup will be completed. Before new season begins- unclear to me from reading it what account will be taken of points as they stand, or fixtures not completed.

            full story

            https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/52591345


            Feasible in terms of time scales, but a puzzler in terms of pre-season and conditioning. Will also make for a 12 month season for Lions tourists.
            "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

            "Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy


            "I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

            Comment


              #66
              Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post

              Feasible in terms of time scales, but a puzzler in terms of pre-season and conditioning. Will also make for a 12 month season for Lions tourists.
              Agree on all counts- but has the ring of reality about it.. plausibly fits with likely restrictions all round- but as you say with the lions to follow on- a nightmare for those eligible for lions. Closing rounds of pro14, Hcup, autumn internationals ( where I can see 6n being completed), 6n... business end of Pro14 and Hcup... good time to have a large squad with plenty of NIQ.

              Have just checked, Irish fixtures already scheduled and postponed, Glasgow /Edinburgh would be an extra fixture ( substituting for us vs Edinburgh), Italy and wales easily sorted too. Two away meetings for us with Leinster in four weeks?
              Last edited by jagawayagain; 10-May-2020, 10:36.

              Comment


                #67
                Is all this happening behind closed doors? And then all rugby going without spectators until a vaccine? Like I understand why there's a keen effort to get going but what's happening with the season after this truncated one?
                I am the million man.

                Comment


                  #68
                  Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

                  Agree on all counts- but has the ring of reality about it.. plausibly fits with likely restrictions all round- but as you say with the lions to follow on- a nightmare for those eligible for lions. Closing rounds of pro14, Hcup, autumn internationals ( where I can see 6n being completed), 6n... business end of Pro14 and Hcup... good time to have a large squad with plenty of NIQ.

                  Have just checked, Irish fixtures already scheduled and postponed, Glasgow /Edinburgh would be an extra fixture ( substituting for us vs Edinburgh), Italy and wales easily sorted too. Two away meetings for us with Leinster in four weeks?


                  Yeah. A long season, and thrown out of shape by attempting to have key players in "cup final" form in September. If 6N were to go into the Autumn window, and the 6N sits in the usual window next season, it's a very, very long "peak".
                  "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

                  "Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy


                  "I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

                  Comment


                    #69
                    Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post
                    BBC has a detailed story on how Pro14 will return. In short, two rounds of Behind closed doors home country fixtures in August, followed by semi and final sept 17-19.
                    also suggestion that HCup will be completed. Before new season begins- unclear to me from reading it what account will be taken of points as they stand, or fixtures not completed.

                    full story

                    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/52591345


                    The 2019/20 season should be just left unfinished.

                    Trying for an abridged completion of the Pro-14, European Cup and 6 Nations with a complete season then to follow is madness.

                    Comment


                      #70
                      Originally posted by glorob View Post

                      The 2019/20 season should be just left unfinished.

                      Trying for an abridged completion of the Pro-14, European Cup and 6 Nations with a complete season then to follow is madness.
                      Much as I want to see Munster play again- I really agree with you- it’s an ingenious was of fitting something in- but from a player welfare point of view, surely a
                      prompt September start to a new season- taking the final placing a as they are resolving ties by the rules of the competition for ties etc, is far more sensible.

                      Comment


                        #71
                        Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

                        Much as I want to see Munster play again- I really agree with you- it’s an ingenious was of fitting something in- but from a player welfare point of view, surely a
                        prompt September start to a new season- taking the final placing a as they are resolving ties by the rules of the competition for ties etc, is far more sensible.
                        Don’t see this happening at all. Too many what if’s. I am actually more worried now about being in a position to start next season proper.

                        Comment


                          #72
                          Originally posted by Redcafe1 View Post

                          Don’t see this happening at all. Too many what if’s. I am actually more worried now about being in a position to start next season proper.
                          This was my question too! Right now I think any rugby happening sustainably, safely and continuously is dependent on, a frankly, tuckfunne of variables all lining up.

                          It could be a long long time, this is something that needs to be adapted to, rather than awaiting a return to before
                          I am the million man.

                          Comment


                            #73
                            Originally posted by glorob View Post

                            The 2019/20 season should be just left unfinished.

                            Trying for an abridged completion of the Pro-14, European Cup and 6 Nations with a complete season then to follow is madness.
                            It’s to keep the tv and sponsors happy. If they don’t complete the competitions they lose a tonne of cash.

                            Comment


                              #74
                              Originally posted by glorob View Post

                              The 2019/20 season should be just left unfinished.

                              Trying for an abridged completion of the Pro-14, European Cup and 6 Nations with a complete season then to follow is madness.
                              Agree completely.

                              Comment


                                #75
                                Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

                                It’s to keep the tv and sponsors happy. If they don’t complete the competitions they lose a tonne of cash.
                                Exactly, they need to keep their end of their sponsorship deals up and put on semis and finals and try to give their sponsors some value for the much needed cash. The powers that be don't really have a viable choice on this unfortunately...
                                ____________________________________________
                                Munster were great when they were Munster.

                                alas they are just north munster now.......
                                ____________________________________________

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X