Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When will the 2020-21 season start?

Poll on thoughts about when 2020 - 21 season gets started:

Have to factor in pre-season training, there's no communal training at all at the moment, honestly can't see anything happening for 3 months minimum,

See Leinster have said that they're postponing their Season ticket sales.
    On time; September
    0%
    Delayed for a month; late Sept-Oct
    19.23%
    Not until Nov-Dec
    34.62%
    Truncated season from Dec/Jan
    23.08%
    Forget it 2021-22 is what we're looking at
    23.08%
    Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

We had already moved to a late September/early October start this season. This was due to continue next season, so the first option was never really an option. I think we'll start on time, but this season may not be finished.

Munster also announced last week that season ticket renewals have been postponed.

Comment

If we have no more rugby this side of August (almost def IMHO); any ideas on how the HEC will be seeded.?

Comment

No idea
        Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
        Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Pistols at dawn?
          "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by reded View Post
            If we have no more rugby this side of August (almost def IMHO); any ideas on how the HEC will be seeded.?
            Maybe league standings as of the shutdown date ? That seems the only fair way to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Finnegan79 View Post

Maybe league standings as of the shutdown date ? That seems the only fair way to do it.
              Maybe, but HCup organisers clearly not giving up hope of playing “It is planned to reschedule the quarter-final and semi-final matches, as well as the Marseille finals, in line with fixtures in the professional league competitions, subject to advice from government and local authorities."
              RFU are talking about playing multiple games at a single location over a weekend behind closed doors.

I’m sure that seems a million miles away from where anyone reading this feels right now- but perhaps- if all match day players and staff were present only if tested, perhaps we might see some rugby again in a couple of months.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

Maybe, but HCup organisers clearly not giving up hope of playing “It is planned to reschedule the quarter-final and semi-final matches, as well as the Marseille finals, in line with fixtures in the professional league competitions, subject to advice from government and local authorities."
                RFU are talking about playing multiple games at a single location over a weekend behind closed doors.

I’m sure that seems a million miles away from where anyone reading this feels right now- but perhaps- if all match day players and staff were present only if tested, perhaps we might see some rugby again in a couple of months.
                the logistics of that would be a nightmare b/c people are spreading this thing while showing no symptoms whatsoever. These guys would have to train prior to playing; even if they all tested negative, unless they were kept in quarantine and only going to training and back to some sort of hotel where everyone stays there and has zero contact with the outside world, somebody will contract and spread the virus. It just isn't realistic until clinical trials end with a drug that knocks this thing out of people.

Comment

Originally posted by Finnegan79 View Post

the logistics of that would be a nightmare b/c people are spreading this thing while showing no symptoms whatsoever. These guys would have to train prior to playing; even if they all tested negative, unless they were kept in quarantine and only going to training and back to some sort of hotel where everyone stays there and has zero contact with the outside world, somebody will contract and spread the virus. It just isn't realistic until clinical trials end with a drug that knocks this thing out of people.
                  It might be possible if testing was quick and reliable- but is, I agree, a logistical nightmare

Comment

I get that they don't want to take the hit financially, but they're just going to have to take it. They've got to be realistic here. Every major sports league across the world is taking a beating, with the exception of the out of season ones such as the NFL, and they're going to lose gate, concessions, and merchandise revenue b/c fans will have less money to spend when this thing ends. The NBA, Major League Baseball, the NHL, horse racing, cricket, women's sports, boxing and mma, the Olympics, the various football leagues in Europe and elsewhere are all getting hammered. Those big leagues can survive b/c they generally have more money than rugby does, but everything is relative. The HC organisers just need to suck it up and understand that barring some major miracle, it isn't happening.

It is 7 matches, which seems doable, but the travelling across borders and the sheer amount of people involved makes it insanely complicated to pull off. The only thing I could see happening is taking the top 4 seeds and playing a semi finals and final behind closed doors. Screws 4 other teams, but one of those teams getting shafted would be Saracens, and I think plenty of people would like to see that.

Comment

The English clubs may try to force the issue to complete their premiership and the HEC but I think the governments of the countries hosting the playoff games will have the final say on what happens regarding games played in their countries. Logically the best option would be to go with the standings in the three qualifying competitions at the cessation of the games this season. It will require meetings between all the ztakeholders and some compromises but it is hopefully only for one season

Comment

What worries me is the 2020/21 season.
                        Living in UK I have to travel for any match...I'm fearful that buying a season ticket will be fruitless for me.
                        It is becoming clear that some form of social distancing will be in operation for at least a year.
                        I'm very sad
                        Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. (Marcus Aurelius, 121-189 AD)

Comment

No 2022 option?
                          Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Originally posted by Pixie View Post
                            Living in UK I have to travel for any match...I'm fearful that buying a season ticket will be fruitless for me.
                            It is becoming clear that some form of social distancing will be in operation for at least a year.
                            I'm very sad
                            Yeah, I'm trying to reconcile myself to the strong possibility that I won't be at any rugby games until maybe September 2021. If there's a vaccine before then, happy days.
                            Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by Pixie View Post
                              I'm very sad
                              I don't think you'll get the option of buying a season ticket any time soon. We still have 1/3/4 matches (depending on which ST you have) left on this seasons ticket that are unlikely to ever be played and season ticket sales for next season were abandoned before they even started.

Comment

Working...
                              X