No announcement yet.

P14 R13) Home to Scarlets - Saturday 17:00 - Eir and Premiersports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look forward to us starting with a pack containing Coombes and Fineen in the second row, with JOD, Hodnett and JOS packing down behind them.

Comment

Originally posted by blackwarrior View Post

Correct decision. Today's match was one for locals in Limerick only unfortunately. I got drenched walking the 5 minutes from the car to the ground, stayed dry on the West Terrace for the duration, and got dumped on on the same walk back.

Wind was strange. It was predictable enough neat the West stand, but a lottery in the other side. The best tactic today was the kick ahead in behind Scarlets defence, and Munster were very unlucky with two particularly good kicks that Scarlets scrambled away brilliantly.

Holland was a huge leader today. Our set piece was coming off second best until near the end, and they looked bigger in the lineout until genius got himself the red. The young guys were excellent - Casey, O'Sullivan, Fineen and Coombes. Goggin and Nash looked very comfortable too, and Haley provided a lot of security at the back.

5 points today was an excellent result, and it didn't look likely until the very end. But in conditions like today, losing a forward and sacrificing a centre didn't seem to bring a huge disadvantage to Scarlets - the yellow made a big difference though.

He always is. First man on the team sheet for me. My favourite Munster player. The thinking man's lock who never has a bad game, always gives 100% and plays like a man 10 years younger. The unsung hero of the team. Gwann Billy!
      Erse end of nowhere

Comment

Good win in tricky conditions. It was helped by the Scarlets second row who luckily is no Mike Tyson but even against 14 men, in those conditions it's like having a much narrower pitch because they cannot go wide often. When they went down to 13 it was much easier.

Casey was very good. Coombes once again made a big impact off the bench. It's hard to see why he's gotten so few opportunities this season. KOB had another excellent game and has been munsters best hooker this season.

Every point could be vital now with the treat of match cancellations.

Comment

Really enjoying watching our game evolve and players like Casey, JOS, Nash and the rest mature as they get more and more involved.

Some of the stuff we did in awful conditions yesterday was really excellent.

Our coaching staff are doing a great job of improving the players they have access to every week. Be good to see what they can do with CJ and co when they have them for more time.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post
            Look forward to us starting with a pack containing Coombes and Fineen in the second row, with JOD, Hodnett and JOS packing down behind them.
            Agreed but I'm going to play devil's advocate here. I thought a lot of cracks were papered over yesterday. The backs again showed very little with ball in hand. Yes the conditions played a factor but that game should have been wrapped up earlier than it was.
            He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

Reading the comments here about the actual conditions at the match, the performance grows even more in stature. Would be great to be playing again next week, but there was a schedule gap anyway, and with a trip to Italy after that it could be a while before we play again. This stop start is really no help to us or anyone else (except for those with big squad numbers away on international duty).

Comment

Originally posted by dropkick View Post
                with the treat of match cancellations.
                ah dropkick the rugby isn’t that bad

Comment

Originally posted by redherring View Post

Agreed but I'm going to play devil's advocate here. I thought a lot of cracks were papered over yesterday. The backs again showed very little with ball in hand. Yes the conditions played a factor but that game should have been wrapped up earlier than it was.
                  I can’t believe that in an orange wind warning, driving wind, that was blowing in no particular direction, rain, sleet and freezing conditions, that the backs didn’t show more with ball in hand. I’m pretty certain if they were asked before kick off, that both coaches would have happily taken a 3-0 win. It was about getting ahead and staying ahead. A forwards game where the backs got stuck in as a team and got a massive result and for it to happen with so many young players on the pitch, performing so well is invaluable. It will do big things for this team’s confidence.
                  The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Comment

Devil’s eejit more like.

Those conditions were horrendous, making any long passes and offloads - upon which our more expansive game plan depends - highly risky and extremely difficult to execute.

Despite the conditions there was some lovely stuff played, like the move that nearly put Sweets in. Lovely passing.

Some of KOB’s handling was a delight too. That lad has a very good touch.

Comment

I thought we managed the game very well and deserved the bonus point. Sweetnam has looked good since returning. I hope he gets an injury free run and gives himself a real chance of getting in to a Champions Cup starting 15 next season. The talent is certainly there but the man needs to catch a break.

Hayley and Holland impressive too. Billy was always a popular man but there is serious grá for him since he went public what he and his wife went through. You can just feel the good will from the crowd. Tough enough sitting at a desk pushing a few keys while going though something like that but hanging in there as a professional sports man is in credible. Serious admiration for that man.

Real game for the die hards. They really should call out proper attendances rather than counting in season ticket holders. Some laugh around me when they called out 13,554 for an attendance. Between 2 and 3,000 freezing die hards in the ground I'd say in miserable conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by hayeser View Post
                        I thought we managed the game very well and deserved the bonus point. Sweetnam has looked good since returning. I hope he gets an injury free run and gives himself a real chance of getting in to a Champions Cup starting 15 next season. The talent is certainly there but the man needs to catch a break.

Hayley and Holland impressive too. Billy was always a popular man but there is serious grá for him since he went public what he and his wife went through. You can just feel the good will from the crowd. Tough enough sitting at a desk pushing a few keys while going though something like that but hanging in there as a professional sports man is in credible. Serious admiration for that man.

Real game for the die hards. They really should call out proper attendances rather than counting in season ticket holders. Some laugh around me when they called out 13,554 for an attendance. Between 2 and 3,000 freezing die hards in the ground I'd say in miserable conditions.
                        Eternal credit to all those brave souls who perished in pursuit of the full five points. I wonder how many made it out the next day to Ennis and Semple Stadium and Sathill?
                        Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by dropkick View Post
                          Good win in tricky conditions. It was helped by the Scarlets second row who luckily is no Mike Tyson but even against 14 men, in those conditions it's like having a much narrower pitch because they cannot go wide often. When they went down to 13 it was much easier.

Casey was very good. Coombes once again made a big impact off the bench. It's hard to see why he's gotten so few opportunities this season. KOB had another excellent game and has been munsters best hooker this season.

Every point could be vital now with the treat of match cancellations.
                          This is a puzzler for me as well .There may have been an arrangment to give some other players a number of games. But from a distance (no access to his gym stats) and with very little game time - he looks very powerful and mobile. Maybe he needed to learn some of the technicalities of the lineout and whilst his open play looked very impressive he was deemed not ready at lock - and in fairness thebackrow was very crowded.

But whatver way it is cut and spun - it looks like a mistake to not give him more game time earlier.
                          ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
                          AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post

This is a puzzler for me as well .There may have been an arrangment to give some other players a number of games. But from a distance (no access to his gym stats) and with very little game time - he looks very powerful and mobile. Maybe he needed to learn some of the technicalities of the lineout and whilst his open play looked very impressive he was deemed not ready at lock - and in fairness thebackrow was very crowded.

But whatver way it is cut and spun - it looks like a mistake to not give him more game time earlier.
                            He certainly looks the part, but he's available next year. I'd imagine DOS was being picked partly to try to make a final assessment, as his contract is up this year. You can understand the motivation to give DOS a chance to show he's worth further investment.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

Devil’s eejit more like.

Those conditions were horrendous, making any long passes and offloads - upon which our more expansive game plan depends - highly risky and extremely difficult to execute.

Despite the conditions there was some lovely stuff played, like the move that nearly put Sweets in. Lovely passing.

Some of KOB’s handling was a delight too. That lad has a very good touch.
                              I expected no one to agree with me and as I said I understand conditions were awful but I was disappointed Munster didn't try to exploit the extra man (two for 10 mins) count more. The Scarlets defended really narrow at times and I felt Munster certainly could have looked to go beyond 12 more than they did.
                              He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

I expected no one to agree with me and as I said I understand conditions were awful but I was disappointed Munster didn't try to exploit the extra man (two for 10 mins) count more. The Scarlets defended really narrow at times and I felt Munster certainly could have looked to go beyond 12 more than they did.
                                While watching it (on TV) i was thinking the same, but thinking about it afterwards, moving the ball accurately was very difficult. That's partly why their lineout was fairly effective against us, the wind meant we could only reliably hit the front or at a stretch the middle of the line out- all they had to do was to pack their jumpers towards the front. When it came to exploiting the extra man, we either broke through up front (but them they had backs filling in), or risk going wide, where there might have been space- but the the conditions are like an extra defender. All in all it was a relief to scrape over the line with the 4th try.

Comment

Working...
                                X