Munster Rugby Brand - Tourism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Munster Rugby Brand - Tourism

What are people opinions on Munster Rugby being used time and again by, in particular, Limerick County Council and Limerick Tourism as some sort of brand to bring said tourism into the City?
    Personally, outside of match days, I doubt Munster Rugby has ever brought more than a handful if even, of tourists to the City
    I think our reach is totally over blown, but worse, completely misunderstood by such organisations

Just wait for the thousands who’ll descend on the Limerick Rugby Museum once it’s opened
    Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Originally posted by Sulla View Post
      Just wait for the thousands who’ll descend on the Limerick Rugby Museum once it’s opened
      Would have thought it hugely adds to name recognition of Limerick- and it would be crazy of the council etc not to make use of it- as a cork man I wish we had the 25k stadium and all the high profile games- but happy to make the trip when I can, and on European days you can tell talking to the away fans that it’s like a bucket list thing. I realise your point is beyond rugby- but you have to build from some position- and there aren’t better foundations for that than Munster Rugby...

Comment

... there is a fair bit to be said for The Shannon....
        Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

Would have thought it hugely adds to name recognition of Limerick- and it would be crazy of the council etc not to make use of it- as a cork man I wish we had the 25k stadium and all the high profile games- but happy to make the trip when I can, and on European days you can tell talking to the away fans that it’s like a bucket list thing. I realise your point is beyond rugby- but you have to build from some position- and there aren’t better foundations for that than Munster Rugby...
          I'm all for promoting the city and getting tourists in, one only has to go to on to the streets of Dublin, Cork, Galway, Belfast to see how so little tourists actually visit Limerick city. There isn't even a backpacker hostel?? maybe a city centre modern attraction will help, but the Frank McCourt museum is selling off stuff to survive, the Hunt Museum relies on local schools to keep it going, King John's castle is just ticking over, if that... not sure critical mass is there
          Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

I'm all for promoting the city and getting tourists in, one only has to go to on to the streets of Dublin, Cork, Galway, Belfast to see how so little tourists actually visit Limerick city. There isn't even a backpacker hostel?? maybe a city centre modern attraction will help, but the Frank McCourt museum is selling off stuff to survive, the Hunt Museum relies on local schools to keep it going, King John's castle is just ticking over, if that... not sure critical mass is there
            Limerick has a huge amount to offer for tourists. For too long the Tourist sales pitch has been to diddly-ie Americans in green trousers and Aran jumpers.

The world has moved on and tourism marketing needs to also. I've traveled in over 50 countries since I left Limerick and while I couldn't wait to get away when I was a teenager I can say now that Limerick City and county has an enviable list of sights worth seeing. Rugby history and outdoor activities should be part of that. Very few people travel just to see one thing they want to have a mix of things to see and do over a few days.

Comment

Visit Limerick, stay in Clare

Comment

If Munster/ Lifestyle Sports had any cop on they'd open a store right next to the Limerick Rugby Museum. The old Munster shop on O'Connell Street was great as you could buy everything Munster and for rugby in general.

Comment

Originally posted by barryfitz87 View Post

If Munster/ Lifestyle Sports had any cop on they'd open a store right next to the Limerick Rugby Museum. The old Munster shop on O'Connell Street was great as you could buy everything Munster and for rugby in general.
                  They already have a large store 200m away on William St which doesn't have any issues selling Munster gear. That plus there aren't any suitable premises for a Lifestyle store 'next door'.

Comment

Originally posted by Wallyman View Post

They already have a large store 200m away on William St which doesn't have any issues selling Munster gear. That plus there aren't any suitable premises for a Lifestyle store 'next door'.
                    I don’t known where I thought the museum was going but I didn’t think it was there, my geography was off.

Comment

More discussion needed lads! Jacky boy has a deadline to meet before his article goes to press
                      I am the million man.

Comment

Maybe we should target South Africans. They seem to like Limerick :)

Comment

Working...
                        X