Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Miles View Post
    Is Casey injured?
    No. Seemingly game time for the other scrum halves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

Happy enough with the side, and fantastic to have Munster rugby back again. I’d have preferred to have another young player starting, say Casey, and another on the bench (0 Sullivan? for Cloete).
      I'd say you'll get your wish in the next few games.

The rust-factor from not having played in a while may be the reason for not introducing more young talent. Let's get a win tonight and then increase the game-time from now on. (Opinion offered from a very deep armchair, so take it with as much salt as you can lay your hands on!).

Comment

Originally posted by Greenkiwi View Post
        What does KOB have to do to get game time. He started nearly every game when our internationals were away at the RWC and was always one of the better players. Does what a hooker has to do but would also be be more dynamic than NScannell in open play. Deserves more than the 5 minutes he has been getting at the end of a game......
        I think you're right about the dynamism of KOB, but there seems to be a tradition of picking dropped national squad players in our own next game. Whether that's to boost their morale or to offer them a chance to prove the national selectors wrong I'm not sure.

Comment

The fellas who are fringe to Ireland camp are also perhaps being tested and kept fresh if there is an injury, Ryan and Scannell are two that immediately spring to mind like
          I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
            The fellas who are fringe to Ireland camp are also perhaps being tested and kept fresh if there is an injury, Ryan and Scannell are two that immediately spring to mind like
            Yeah, I’d say they’re under instructions to play them, and the players themselves will be chomping at the bit.

Comment

Happy enough with that selection. Wycherly, Hodnett, Nash, Daly all getting starts. Coombes, Knox, Healy on the bench that is plenty of youth continued to be developed. I'd be happy to see Casey and JOS ahead of McCarthy and Botha but can accept that McCarthy also deserves a chance to show what he can do.

Botha seems to be JvG default low risk option when POM and CJ are unavailable but I never see him as that. He does some very good things but he also mixes it with some sloppy play which shows why he never nailed down a spot in the Springboks squad or a regular starting spot at a top club. Holland, Ryan, Scannell and JOD is enough "leadership" for a home game against the Kings and neither Wyncherly nor Cronin need "minding".

Comment

I think its fair to give Cronin and McCarthy an opportunity as others have said. Everyone's excited about Casey but McCarthy, the 'Unknown Unknown' of the SH's, hasn't been given a run of games since the Leinster game over Xmas where he had a very difficult first half with box kicks into the wind. It would be good to see him again if he comes off the bench.
                I think with Cronin at 9 we know he's a solid player, maybe a little limited, but basics are solid.
                Good opportunity to win the next 6 games before facing Leinster in Dublin after hopefully winning a Grand Slam with Munster players feeling they've a point to prove and with a bit of luck Tadhg Beirne returning.
                Loads to play for yet!!

Comment

Apologies if I’ve missed it- but what’s the situation with Kleun? Any idea of when it might be back?

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post
                    Apologies if I’ve missed it- but what’s the situation with Kleun? Any idea of when it might be back?
                    Rehabbing a neck injury. Hasn't started back training yet, if I remember correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by barryfitz87 View Post

Rehabbing a neck injury. Hasn't started back training yet, if I remember correctly.
                      Thanks- that rings a bell. Wonder whether they are just giving him a longer break, given the RWC etc., We have enough bad necks in the squad already, I really hope this is a temporary one.

Comment

Great to see Hodnett get his chance. He was great last season for the grand slamming U20s.

Comment

Originally posted by dropkick View Post
                          Great to see Hodnett get his chance. He was great last season for the grand slamming U20s.
                          Happy to see Hodnett at 7. There is going to be a lot of competition (O'Donoghue, Coombes and O'Sullivan along with underage talent in Alex Kendellen and Daniel Okeke) for the second choice 8 slot in the next few years, so it would be nice to see Hodnett staying at 7.

A little bit disappointed that there is no O'Sullivan/Coombes or Casey in the team. The importance of having an experienced nine with an inexperienced 8 was highlighted a lot last week. This match seemed like a good opportunity to have a Neil Cronin paired with O’Sullivan or having a Casey with Botha.

Comment

Don’t subscribe to the notion that Cronin and McCarthy need the game time as much as Casey.

So far this season:
                            Nick McCarthy = 248 minutes played.
                            Neil Cronin = 141 minutes played.
                            Craig Casey = 91 minutes played.

Surely the guy in his first full season of professional rugby — who we hope will play a big part in the later part of our season — needs the game time more than guys who have been playing professional rugby for 2/3 years?

Comment

Originally posted by Mumhain View Post

Happy to see Hodnett at 7. There is going to be a lot of competition (O'Donoghue, Coombes and O'Sullivan along with underage talent in Alex Kendellen and Daniel Okeke) for the second choice 8 slot in the next few years, so it would be nice to see Hodnett staying at 7.

A little bit disappointed that there is no O'Sullivan/Coombes or Casey in the team. The importance of having an experienced nine with an inexperienced 8 was highlighted a lot last week. This match seemed like a good opportunity to have a Neil Cronin paired with O’Sullivan or having a Casey with Botha.
                              Will Hodnett play openside though? Maybe even longer term. Looking at Jack O'Sullivan he has all the attributes physically to be a 7. Might be worth seeing if he could convert. Hodnett looks to be more of a big ball carrying 8 to me. I haven't seen enough of either to make a strong judgement though.
                              He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

Originally posted by redherring View Post

Will Hodnett play openside though? Maybe even longer term. Looking at Jack O'Sullivan he has all the attributes physically to be a 7. Might be worth seeing if he could convert. Hodnett looks to be more of a big ball carrying 8 to me. I haven't seen enough of either to make a strong judgement though.
                                Valid points and there probably isn't enough evidence of Hodnett playing 7, to say definitively, he should switch there. I know he has played a number of times for UCC at 7 and he was massively impressive in the Ireland under-20's match against England at last year's junior world cup. He won 3 breakdown turnovers in the first 50 minutes of the match. Physically, 1.85m/103kg, I think he is well suited to openside.

Agree that long-term, openside may be Jack O'Sullivan's best position. Pres seem to be consistently producing these 6/8's (O'Mahony, O'Sullivan and Kendellen) who are limpets at the breakdown.

Comment

Working...
                                X