P14 R11) Us v Kings in IIP - Friday @19.35 Eir/Premiersport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

Yes- usually a good indicator. I suppose I was saying what I hoped would happen, rather than what they are likely to do. Great as it would be to see a full strength side get a really big win, it won’t tell us anything we don’t already know, our squad is basically strong enough to beat most of the teams in the league well- what we need to find is a team capable of beating everyone else.
    It will hardly be a full strength team when we have 6 players still with Ireland and both our first choice second rows and two of our 10s out injured. If we're to build a team capable of beating everyone, we need those players training and playing with Munster, but that's not possible.
    We can still name a strong team that includes the likes of O'Sullivan, Casey and Daly. As someone said in a previous thread, they'll get more from playing with more first teamers rather than throwing a load of young fellas out like we did against Edinburgh.

Comment

Originally posted by Wallyman View Post

It will hardly be a full strength team when we have 6 players still with Ireland and both our first choice second rows and two of our 10s out injured. If we're to build a team capable of beating everyone, we need those players training and playing with Munster, but that's not possible.
      We can still name a strong team that includes the likes of O'Sullivan, Casey and Daly. As someone said in a previous thread, they'll get more from playing with more first teamers rather than throwing a load of young fellas out like we did against Edinburgh.
      They won’t be able to name a full-strength team, but Munster will be able to name a very strong, experienced team with 11 internationals:

1. James Cronin(back from injury?), 2. Niall Scannell, 3. John Ryan, 4. Billy Holland, 5. Fineen Wycherley, 6. Jack O’Donoghue, 7. Tommy O’Donnell, 8. Arno Botha, 9. Cronin/Casey, 10. Hanrahan, 11. Sweetnam, 12. Scannell, 13. Farrell, 14. Daly, 15. Haley

To catch up with the likes of Leinster/Saracens, we need to be adding around 6 new players a year. Not sure if we will be able to do this, if we’re going to pick teams as experienced as above, against the weakest team in the league, at home.

Again, I don’t think anybody is advocating playing young players for the sake of playing young players or playing a team full of young players, but this is a really good chance to give 2/3 young guys an opportunity with a very experienced pack.

Comment

Originally posted by Mumhain View Post

They won’t be able to name a full-strength team, but Munster will be able to name a very strong, experienced team with 11 internationals:

1. James Cronin(back from injury?), 2. Niall Scannell, 3. John Ryan, 4. Billy Holland, 5. Fineen Wycherley, 6. Jack O’Donoghue, 7. Tommy O’Donnell, 8. Arno Botha, 9. Cronin/Casey, 10. Hanrahan, 11. Sweetnam, 12. Scannell, 13. Farrell, 14. Daly, 15. Haley

To catch up with the likes of Leinster/Saracens, we need to be adding around 6 new players a year. Not sure if we will be able to do this, if we’re going to pick teams as experienced as above, against the weakest team in the league, at home.

Again, I don’t think anybody is advocating playing young players for the sake of playing young players or playing a team full of young players, but this is a really good chance to give 2/3 young guys an opportunity with a very experienced pack.
        That’s exactly the sort of team I really don’t want to see starting, sure we’d get the five points and a healthy contribution to our points difference- but we would be no further on. The bench for that side might be more interesting, but I’d prefer we had SOME of the Casey, Healy, o Sullivan, Knox, KOB, Coombes etc starting alongside the experienced players,

Comment

Originally posted by Mumhain View Post

[FONT=Arial]Again, I don’t think anybody is advocating playing young players for the sake of playing young players or playing a team full of young players, but this is a really good chance to give 2/3 young guys an opportunity with a very experienced pack.[/FONT]
          That's exactly what I said we should do..............

Comment

Munster vs Southern Kings
            @ Irish Independent Park

Referee:
            Nika Amashukeli (Georgia)
            Assistant referees: Sean Gallagher (Ireland), Johnny Erskine (Ireland)
            Television match official: Charles Samson (Scotland)

Same ref as the Ireland Wales 20s game last week.

Comment

Originally posted by Wallyman View Post

That's exactly what I said we should do..............
              I know it is and I think we are on the same page. That comment is in reference to suggestion that people want a load of young players thrown out at once.

Comment

Originally posted by MOS View Post
                Botha is the past, O'Sullivan is the future. Get that boy starting at 8 and let's see how he runs. Botha on the bench though to add something as the game runs it's course.
                I'd really like to see him get more game time too. He looks a fantastic athlete and this should be an ideal game to throw him in.

"It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

Arno is a fine player lads, very reliable bloke in the backrow and one of the few to guarantee forward ball (as long as its dry)

Him and Jacko can both run out, with Jacko, no bother

#jackos
                  I am the million man.

Comment

Munster: Mike Haley; Calvin Nash, Chris Farrell, Dan Goggin, Shane Daly; JJ Hanrahan, Neil Cronin; James Cronin, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Fineen Wycherley, Billy Holland (C); Jack O’Donoghue, John Hodnett, Arno Botha.

Replacements: Kevin O’Byrne, Jeremy Loughman, Keynan Knox, Gavin Coombes, Chris Cloete, Nick McCarthy, Ben Healy, Rory Scannell.

Comment

Would've liked to see O'Sullivan and Casey but JVG has said that he will start other youth players for two upcoming games so looks like he's balancing it.

Comment

Is Casey injured?

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                          Arno is a fine player lads, (as long as its dry)

#jackos
                          We play our home games in Cork and Limerick. At the very least tis moist. He should join zeebs

Seven social sins: politics without principles, wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice

Comment

Originally posted by Chrizzzie View Post
                            Would've liked to see O'Sullivan and Casey but JVG has said that he will start other youth players for two upcoming games so looks like he's balancing it.
                            Happy enough with the side, and fantastic to have Munster rugby back again. I’d have preferred to have another young player starting, say Casey, and another on the bench (0 Sullivan? for Cloete).

Comment

Is that a first senior start for Hodnett? Good to see him there
                              Good things happen to those who wait, though mostly much too late.

Comment

What does KOB have to do to get game time. He started nearly every game when our internationals were away at the RWC and was always one of the better players. Does what a hooker has to do but would also be be more dynamic than NScannell in open play. Deserves more than the 5 minutes he has been getting at the end of a game......

Comment

Working...
                                X