HEC R6. Munster v Ospreys, Thomond Park. Sun 19th Jan @ 13:00. BT Sport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dropkick View Post
    I don't see many changes happening. I'd like to but if changes are made and cost Munster a place in the 1/4 final the knives will be out for JVG. That's how he will see it.

I do think they'll give one or two players a shot. Daly, Goggin and KOB deserve a chance to start. Maybe put Healy on the bench too.
    Surely top spot in the Pro14 group with an easier draw next year and game time in the younger players is more valuable than scraping in as the 8th seed?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Comment

For all that people criticise him, some of it fair enough, he has trimmed squad size down and brought in the personnel at coaching/player level (ongoing) to implement his game.

Another kicking at Leinster with the current XV won't help anyone, already been there done that. So has the media, who will need more than a copy and paste of their last match report and probably tack on another paragraph about coaching issues. Suspect JVG knows this, and that his best way to ease that pressure is give younger players their shot against a terrible Ospreys side with a stacked bench. Perfect opportunity: home game, new blood, something different to write about. It's win/win.

https://www.the42.ie/munster-ospreys...64630-Jan2020/

Murray Kinsella's even trying to pave the way for him, hope he takes it.

Comment

Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post
        Surely top spot in the Pro14 group with an easier draw next year and game time in the younger players is more valuable than scraping in as the 8th seed?

I understand, however I believe a team gets money for being in the quarters. Although no ticket sales for us we still get money. Am I right? How much is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Amar56 View Post
          For all that people criticise him, some of it fair enough, he has trimmed squad size down and brought in the personnel at coaching/player level (ongoing) to implement his game.

Another kicking at Leinster with the current XV won't help anyone, already been there done that. So has the media, who will need more than a copy and paste of their last match report and probably tack on another paragraph about coaching issues. Suspect JVG knows this, and that his best way to ease that pressure is give younger players their shot against a terrible Ospreys side with a stacked bench. Perfect opportunity: home game, new blood, something different to write about. It's win/win.

https://www.the42.ie/munster-ospreys...64630-Jan2020/

Murray Kinsella's even trying to pave the way for him, hope he takes it.
          If the young lads play like drains and we lose to a relatively poor Ospreys side it'd actually be a lose/lose.
          Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
          Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Originally posted by Chrizzzie View Post

I understand, however I believe a team gets money for being in the quarters. Although no ticket sales for us we still get money. Am I right? How much is it?
            I believe you get more money for a home semi final in the Pro 14 though

Comment

Originally posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post

If the young lads play like drains and we lose to a relatively poor Ospreys side it'd actually be a lose/lose.
              If you honestly see that happening. I can't picture it.

Starting a core of younger lads doesn't mean sending out a wholesale B team. The first XV gave it their best shot on Sunday and played bloody well, but Leinster would still wipe the floor with them in a QF. Just like last year.

If we can't trust the next generation in about as favourable a game you'll get, when do you trust them: Southern Kings? And then straight back to the bench or As when the 'big' games roll around again and nothing changes. If you read that article and the comparison with Ringrose/Furlong I can't see we've much to lose here.

Comment

Originally posted by Amar56 View Post

If you honestly see that happening. I can't picture it.

Starting a core of younger lads doesn't mean sending out a wholesale B team. The first XV gave it their best shot on Sunday and played bloody well, but Leinster would still wipe the floor with them in a QF. Just like last year.

If we can't trust the next generation in about as favourable a game you'll get, when do you trust them: Southern Kings? And then straight back to the bench or As when the 'big' games roll around again and nothing changes. If you read that article and the comparison with Ringrose/Furlong I can't see we've much to lose here.
                I really don't know. That's the problem. I've nothing against innovation and progression in selection but surely it's up to the younger lads to demand their place based on their results and training rather than wait for a dead rubber game to just throw them in?

p.s. We put out a young callow side against Edinburgh in the league and lost. Is that a learn or valuable experience or just poor planning?

Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post

I think they would be better off concentrating on the pro14 but the average fan will want to get through to the 1/4 final and JVG will too so he can say he got out of a tough group.

Comment

Originally posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post

If they are that bad (which I don’t think they are) then we’d better find out. I’m not advocating sending out the U-11s, but players who have already played PRO14 this season.

Comment

two points on just throwing the young lads in
                      1. Putting out a rake of young lads doesn't tend to give good results or lead to confidence for anyone. I agree that picking a few put have the support of experienced players around them. Pick Casey with JJ at 10 and CJ at 8. Let Googin start at 12. The key players are still CJ, Kleyn, Farrell and Killer.
                      2. If we put out a weakened team and fail to get the bonus point win and other results go our way meaning we could have qualified with the 5 points, van Graan would be eaten alive by the very press and fans who are currently calling for him to play the young lads.
                      \"God gave me the talent but the forwards gave me the ball\" - Jannie De Beer

\"I hesitate to use words like spiritual or religious, but to see what rugby means to Munster people is very moving\" Shaun Payne

I look back on 2008 at the Millennium Stadium as the highlight of my career because, although being capped by New Zealand and playing for the All Blacks was fantastic, this was special. - Doug Howlett

Comment

Originally posted by overthehillprop View Post
                        two points on just throwing the young lads in
                        1. Putting out a rake of young lads doesn't tend to give good results or lead to confidence for anyone. I agree that picking a few put have the support of experienced players around them. Pick Casey with JJ at 10 and CJ at 8. Let Googin start at 12. The key players are still CJ, Kleyn, Farrell and Killer.
                        2. If we put out a weakened team and fail to get the bonus point win and other results go our way meaning we could have qualified with the 5 points, van Graan would be eaten alive by the very press and fans who are currently calling for him to play the young lads.

Absolutely. While there's still an outside mathematical chance of qualification, JVG has to throw the kitchen sink at getting a BP win.
                        "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Might we know by Sunday whether we still have a chance to qualify or not

Comment

Originally posted by Grasshopper View Post
                            Might we know by Sunday whether we still have a chance to qualify or not
                            Have to name the team on Friday.
                            \"God gave me the talent but the forwards gave me the ball\" - Jannie De Beer

\"I hesitate to use words like spiritual or religious, but to see what rugby means to Munster people is very moving\" Shaun Payne

I look back on 2008 at the Millennium Stadium as the highlight of my career because, although being capped by New Zealand and playing for the All Blacks was fantastic, this was special. - Doug Howlett

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post

Absolutely. While there's still an outside mathematical chance of qualification, JVG has to throw the kitchen sink at getting a BP win.
                              The frustrating bit is that the mathematical chance might already be gone at kickoff if both Northampton and Glasgow (with BP) win.

Comment

So would we seed 8th even in this mathematics?

Away to Leinster in a quarter final?
                                I am the million man.

Comment

Working...
                                X