Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HEC R6. Munster v Ospreys, Thomond Park. Sun 19th Jan @ 13:00. BT Sport

The season continues. I'll be there.
    "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
    Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

We will know the results for two of the 4 other games that need to go our way before ko-- glasgow and northampton.

Edit-- pending Piquet's analysis I copied the what ifs from Lomasney's post on the match thread

A couple of the following scenarios will have to take place:
    • Lyon defeat Northampton at home in Pool 1
    • Glasgow do not secure a win and try bonus point at Sale in Pool 2
    • Group leaders beat Gloucester at home in Pool 5

If two of the above happen, as well as the previously mentioned results, Munster will be guaranteed to be at least the eighth ranked side heading into the quarter finals.

Summary:
    1. Munster get bonus point win against Ospreys.
    2. Racing Metro beat Saracens.
    3. Two of the three results in other pools go their way.
    Last edited by FORWARD....; 12th-January-2020, 20:53.
    "Fineen Wycherley was everywhere. When I watched this video back late on Saturday night I half expected to look up from my laptop to find him in my kitchen ' TRK Nov 3rd 2019 following Cardiff v Munster

Comment

This is the start of the rest of our season- time to ring the changes before we go into the break. Then get things nailed down in the relatively easy games before the tough work starts.

Comment

Give Craig Casey a start at least.

Comment

The coaches have had long enough to assess players and form a clear view as to the route that needs to be plotted between here and the end of the season. Rather than this season being a write off, there's a clear opportunity to embed new systems and approaches in the coming months.

That has to start now, I think. Back the players that they feel will form the core of a renewed squad next season. Make clear to some that time must be running out for them to show that they have a role to play in that.

We need to get to the end of the season with the mood altered significantly, a new game plan in place, and a clear view of who is part of that, who needs to go, what we can grow and what we need to acquire in terms of personnel.

We all know that the reality, whatever the Red Army rhetoric says, is that without signs that this team can become competitive and quickly, attendances will drop, season ticket sales will drop and the turnaround will just become harder.

So that's the job for the next few months, I think. And this game is a chance to show that there's some determination to deliver it.

We put up a very good showing against an extremely talented side for an hour in Paris. That has to translate to walloping Ospreys at home.
          "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Mike Prendergast made Racing's Intentions v Saracens clear on RTE this morning, they are, he said, 'an unfrench team' whose commitment is to winning the European Championship and they will be going for a big win to ensure they get a home venue in the next round.
            Despite our disastrous last 10 yesterday and their consequent BP, Racing are still not assured of a home venue, and a win against Salaries will do the trick for them, so there is still hope.

I'll be in TP living in hope.
            GWAN Munster!!
            'twas wicked yousir!

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post

The coaches have had long enough to assess players and form a clear view as to the route that needs to be plotted between here and the end of the season. Rather than this season being a write off, there's a clear opportunity to embed new systems and approaches in the coming months.

That has to start now, I think. Back the players that they feel will form the core of a renewed squad next season. Make clear to some that time must be running out for them to show that they have a role to play in that.

We need to get to the end of the season with the mood altered significantly, a new game plan in place, and a clear view of who is part of that, who needs to go, what we can grow and what we need to acquire in terms of personnel.

We all know that the reality, whatever the Red Army rhetoric says, is that without signs that this team can become competitive and quickly, attendances will drop, season ticket sales will drop and the turnaround will just become harder.

So that's the job for the next few months, I think. And this game is a chance to show that there's some determination to deliver it.

We put up a very good showing against an extremely talented side for an hour in Paris. That has to translate to walloping Ospreys at home.
              Yes please.

We need to put the romanticism of qualifying for Europe in unlikely ways behind us and focus on the nuts and bolts for the next few months. thrashing the worst Osprey's side in memory would be the only acceptable starting point for building more momentum for the rest of the season.

Comment

Best thing the team can do is focus on getting a BP win against ospreys.
                as someone said above we will know 2 of the results beforehand .
                if those games dont pan out the way we need and BP win becomes irrelevant then we should approach game as any other game looking to get scoreboard moving win the game and try some moves that will advance our chances later in season.
                it's a long shot anyway that we may sneak in to last 8 but hope we do.

Comment

Considering I have to fly in through Dublin (no more Paris-Cork flights on Satudays in the off season...) and this game is now a dead rubber, I decided that since I will not be attending to watch Munster qualify, I will be attending to watch Munster get much-needed momentum for the rest of the season.

Full support is all we can offer so here's to building for next season!
                  Good things happen to those who wait, though mostly much too late.

Comment

Would you fresehen things up with the cavalry to arrive off the bench from 55 i.e. start a new half back pairing maybe give Shane Daly a go?
                    \"If you can dream it, you can do it\".
                    \"To the cowardly and unfaithful, nothing is possible\"

Comment

Originally posted by FORWARD.... View Post
                      We will know the results for two of the 4 other games that need to go our way before ko-- glasgow and northampton.

Edit-- pending Piquet's analysis I copied the what ifs from Lomasney's post on the match thread

A couple of the following scenarios will have to take place:
                      • Lyon defeat Northampton at home in Pool 1
                      • Glasgow do not secure a win and try bonus point at Sale in Pool 2
                      • Group leaders beat Gloucester at home in Pool 5

If two of the above happen, as well as the previously mentioned results, Munster will be guaranteed to be at least the eighth ranked side heading into the quarter finals.

Summary:
                      1. Munster get bonus point win against Ospreys.
                      2. Racing Metro beat Saracens.
                      3. Two of the three results in other pools go their way.
                      We need Sarries to pick up a maximum of 1 point. So a LBP & a TBP knocks us out.

I still believe it is possible. ST need a win for a home QF. Lyon will surely want to win at home and are better than Saints. I expect Glasgow to win but maybe not get a BP at Sale. Sarries is the biggest ask. Racing probably need a win for the home QF but a fully loaded Sarries at home would be favourites. Clermont winning at the Stoop would really help as then racing will go for the win.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevy-Wevz View Post

Yes please.

We need to put the romanticism of qualifying for Europe in unlikely ways behind us and focus on the nuts and bolts for the next few months. thrashing the worst Osprey's side in memory would be the only acceptable starting point for building more momentum for the rest of the season.
                        I don’t need us to thrash Ospreys next week- or indeed to sneak into a quarter final and get distracted. What I want to see is a side which mixes our internationals and exciting young players win by playing a brand of rugby that can be built into something that can make us competitive in the final stages of Europe again.

Comment

Flights & hotel booked. There are many signs of improvement, despite all of the issues with injuries, and I can't wait to see them run out in TP. Gwan Munster!!

Comment

Players can’t just automatically get picked after performing poorly. Daly to start in the back 3, Goggin at 13, give Coombes or Wycherley a spot in the 23 as well.

Comment

Would also like to see KOB start or at least get on the pitch for a good 30mins....

Comment

Working...
                              X