Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Piquet, fascinating as always. I hadn’t realised until your piece above, that the effect of not being closer to Saracens at the end was that we lost the head to head with them. At the the time, and afterwards, I wasn’t unhappy we went for touch (I realise many others disagree), but I see now that a 4-1 for us both meant tries scored came into play, and that margin was in our favour. I hope it doesn’t come down to that, otherwise two kicks JJ might have got will cost us very dearly.

I could be wrong but it seems to me that at this point this year there is less complexity in groups (other than our own).

Comment

I thought we would have lost the head to head anyway. We would have been level on match points, we would have been ahead by one game point, but they scored one more try than us in the two games, so surely they would have been ahead
      Seven social sins: politics without principles, wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice

Comment

No, it's Match Points, then Aggregate Score in the two games, then tries scored. This is the new arrangement since the Nigels took over.

Points Difference also comes before tries when sorting out the order of qualifiers.

Comment

Thanks for the incredible work Piquet!

While not a mathematical criterion, is it not critical for us that the results at the weekend also leave Racing in a position whereby they have to compete with Salaries in the final match in order to;
          a) Qualify
          or
          b) Secure a home match in the next round
          or
          c) Avoid Leinster

otherwise it will be Salaries A v Racing B?
          'twas wicked yousir!

Comment

Yes, Racing will qualify if they beat us on Sunday, unfortunately that would almost certainly put us out.

A win for Munster and the expected fiver for Sarries would have Racing needing to avoid defeat v Sarries to stay ahead of Munster and Sarries.

Comment

I think I need a lie down.

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
                No, it's Match Points, then Aggregate Score in the two games, then tries scored. This is the new arrangement since the Nigels took over.

Points Difference also comes before tries when sorting out the order of qualifiers.
                belated thanks
                Seven social sins: politics without principles, wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice

Comment

Piquet

just noticed that you have La Rochelle rather than Treviso in pool 1
                  "Fineen Wycherley was everywhere. When I watched this video back late on Saturday night I half expected to look up from my laptop to find him in my kitchen ' TRK Nov 3rd 2019 following Cardiff v Munster

Comment

Well spotted, mush. That's what happens when you cut and paste a table in the hopes of maintaining the justification.

Comment

We're likely to end up with 16 points now. It seems to me that we could also end up in 7th or 8th position overall but third in our group.
                      It also seems to me that Racing are are not assured of a home venue and so could do us a favour against salaries.
                      Please Piquet tell me we still have some hope however slim.............could 16 points see us getting through....presumably R92 would have to limit Salaries to a losing BP?
                      'twas wicked yousir!

Comment

A fiver next week would put Munster on 16 points, as you say and ahead of Sarries if they only get one point v Racing.

Two from Gloucester, Glasgow and Northampton would also have to foul up their last matches, getting at most one, three and one point respectively. If any of them got to 16 points, it would go to Points Difference.

More later.

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
                          A fiver next week would put Munster on 16 points, as you say and ahead of Sarries if they only get one point v Racing.

Two from Gloucester, Glasgow and Northampton would also have to foul up their last matches, getting at most one, three and one point respectively. If any of them got to 16 points, it would go to Points Difference.

More later.
                          Our PD is currently 0, but could be much improved if we get a good BP win against Ospreys.

Glasgow’s PD is -12 so matching us on 16 probably wouldn’t be enough. They need a BP win away to Sale.

Saints PD is -29, so a double BP loss or a draw v Lyon won’t do. They need a win or a BP draw to get to 17.

Gloucester’s PD is a healthy +21, so they’re in a good place but would still need to get at least 2 points in Toulouse.

I think they all have a tough job. Racing’s result against Sarries is likely to make or break us.

Comment

Working...
                          X