Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HEC R5. Racing vs. Munster. Paris. TV Coverage BT Sport. Sunday 12th Jan @3.15pm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

I think the height thing is a bit of a fetish- it’s clearly an advantage in some cases but it’s not a determining factor. Consider DOS, for example, meets the height criterion, but, unfortunately for him and us, he isn’t really at the level we need. Consider Dev - absolute lighthouse, but even Joe didn’t think that was enough to justify the seat (presumably extra leg room) on the plan to Japan. Chips’ list above has the low /average height for a lock Itoje at 6 foot 5. Would walk on my world team at lock. Sure, all other things being equal, height (actually the extra reach) gives a line out advantage (or requires less throwing accuracy/timing from the hooker, eg Cronin), but aggression, physicality used effectively, and mobility are surely as important when the guy is 6 4 or more.
    AWJ is 6'5 as well. O'Connell 6'6.

You sense there's a minimum threshold there somewhere, but if you can be among the best locks of all time a 6' 5/6, then at 6'4 you'd think you'd be able to attain a good standard.

"We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Mick Galwey wasn't very tall
      Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
      Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

I think the height thing is a bit of a fetish- it’s clearly an advantage in some cases but it’s not a determining factor. Consider DOS, for example, meets the height criterion, but, unfortunately for him and us, he isn’t really at the level we need. Consider Dev - absolute lighthouse, but even Joe didn’t think that was enough to justify the seat (presumably extra leg room) on the plan to Japan. Chips’ list above has the low /average height for a lock Itoje at 6 foot 5. Would walk on my world team at lock. Sure, all other things being equal, height (actually the extra reach) gives a line out advantage (or requires less throwing accuracy/timing from the hooker, eg Cronin), but aggression, physicality used effectively, and mobility are surely as important when the guy is 6 4 or more.
        Yep, I agree. However going to Paris or wherever with two 6'4 locks going up against 4 or 5 gigantic jumpers in the opposition lineout doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Factor in the jumping ability of the rest of the pack or, especially Chris Cloete and you might start to sweat

We are a small side in the modern game was my premise
        I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobyglen View Post
          His track record with SA speaks for itself - laziest set of forward packs SA has seen in pro era, routinely shipping awful beatings. The fact that the cutest of political operators Rassie seemingly didn't do much to keep him in SA explains a lot because he was supposedly given a blank canvas.
          I think he's out of his debt as head man in Munster and we certainly aren't getting the maximum from these set of players, most of the players form has deteriorated. The decision to change how we play was decided upon this season and not last season when he was already 6 months in the job. What was his original philosophy that he sold to the Munster brains? Flannery and Jones turning down contracts aswell suggest all was not well in the camp.

For him to be here 2 1/2 years and to have have such a confused set of players is an inditement on him.

Positively, Larkham and Rowntree are very credible coaches. Done well to get them.
          Go over to the " vanlarktree" ball thread and have a look at the Keith Earl's article from the 42 which someone has posted up the link.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobyglen View Post
            His track record with SA speaks for itself - laziest set of forward packs SA has seen in pro era, routinely shipping awful beatings. The fact that the cutest of political operators Rassie seemingly didn't do much to keep him in SA explains a lot because he was supposedly given a blank canvas.
            I think he's out of his debt as head man in Munster and we certainly aren't getting the maximum from these set of players, most of the players form has deteriorated. The decision to change how we play was decided upon this season and not last season when he was already 6 months in the job. What was his original philosophy that he sold to the Munster brains? Flannery and Jones turning down contracts aswell suggest all was not well in the camp.

For him to be here 2 1/2 years and to have have such a confused set of players is an inditement on him.

Positively, Larkham and Rowntree are very credible coaches. Done well to get them.
            It may be a bit tight for him in terms of time to achieve things, but as regards coaching and vision he's probably better set than any time in his tenure. Players form and buy-in are needed for him to get the most out of the coaching ticket for this season. Some new talent and our own homegrown coming to fruition are needed for next season and onwards.

Comment

Working...
            X