Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HEC R5. Racing vs. Munster. Paris. TV Coverage BT Sport. Sunday 12th Jan @3.15pm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back in 2010/11 I suggested here that we could be in the wilderness for a long time. I was called a negative, naysaying, pessimist and seemed to be shown up by a League Final win at TP. It gives me no pleasure to say I was largely correct.
    Coaches and players come and go but Munster has remained close to, but outside, the most elite group - winners. We have only been beaten by the eventual winners (or at least finalists) in most of the intervening years, but that has been a very constant reason for everyone outside to remind us that we are NOT good enough.

Ironically, despite results and some performances this season, I think we are close to becoming a team that can challenge again. We Have been decimated by injuries (three starting 10s out at the same time) and unavailability of players at key times. The IRFU protocols have come at a bad time, as did the ECC, when we were trying a new style of play. Then we had to reintegrate returning internationals, who were promptly given compulsory time off instead of further opportunities to familiarize themselves with that style of play. This is a bigger deal than many seem to accept, in my opinion, because coming from several months of stultifying ‘Camp Joe’ tactics into a very different style of play doesn’t just happen overnight.

Now, however, we have a chance to concentrate on getting that sorted. I don’t believe we will, or should be, overburdened by losses to Camp Faz and I do believe there is a huge opportunity to really give the fringe players a good run. Coombes, Daly, Sweetnam, Casey, Wycherley, Parker, Byrne, JOS, JOD, and others can settle in and cement their places with some of the more senior players coming back getting the last 20 instead of the first 60 going forward. Build a new team Coach! You have the resources.

Comment

I’d expected Munster to struggle against a class side like Racing . In full speed with Russell working his magic they are looking good enough to win it outright.
      But in fairness to Munster they turned up and played far better than previous weeks . They were worth their 9 point lead and the penalty Kleyn gave away was a poor one and it gave racing the start they needed into the game. Racing then looked very good for a while but Munster through the interception got their chests out again .
      I thought all was going great but around the 70th minute they needed any type of score to keep the scoreboard going . Racing ran away in the end when Munster were wrecked after going behind . The score didn’t tell the story of the game .
      munster were better than expected. They tried to play a more expansive game but that will take time . It took a good while for Pat Lam to get the auld lads and forwards passing the ball comfortably.

kleyn had probably the best game I’ve seen from him where he really used his power . Murray’s passing was swift but worryingly he hasn’t been looking for the gaps .
      JJ did well and it’s great that his not the scapegoat today . JOD showed his form well at a higher level
      all in it was better than I expected.

When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

A lot of you are getting a bit too downbeat lads. We had as hard a group as I’ve ever seen in Europe, in the worst season (post-WC with a new coaching ticket) to get such a group. Our first-choice out-half has been out all season, our second-choice since November and out third played 80 minutes off the back of an injury yesterday. Besides that, we had bad luck with the weather vs sarries in Thomond and a French TV director in Paris.

If you think back to the past three seasons, we went into three European semis and each time we faced the hard truth that we’d been beaten badly all over the pitch for large portions of the game. Who were those semis against? Sarries, Racing and Sarries. Those games wee in neutral venues which our support made our own. When you take that into consideration, this season we went to London and Paris, into their home grounds and matched them, even were beating them both, with 70 minutes on the clock. After that we just fell off the pace slightly once we had to start chasing a game. There’s an argument to be made there that the coaches were a bit too reluctant to bring on subs, but everything is 20/20 in hindsight. Remember that yesterday we kept the best attacking team in Europe on their preferred 4G pitch to a single try in 70 minutes (which included a blatant knock-on in the build up and the best bloody pass you’ll ever see on a rugby pitch).

When I compare this season to the other 3 this millennium where we’ve not made the knock-outs, this one gives me the most hope for the future. 2011 felt unlucky but the slide was obviously starting at that point imo. 2015 was disappointing because it’d started quite well until we went on a bad stretch of games and 2016 was about as poor as it got. We went to Paris needing a win in round 5 then as well and we played poorly, very poorly, IIRC we didn’t even score for 70 minutes or so.

With all that in mind, I feel positive for our future. We’ve some exciting young players coming through and the coaches are still settling in a bit. Let’s give it time and hope for our first silverware in 9 years come June. Many people said this group would be incredibly tough and, guess what, it was. Who knows, we might still make the knockouts if a few miracles go our way. This isn’t the end of this journey, I’m positive we’ll be back on the top step of Europe some time soon. SUAF.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan Guilfoyle View Post
          Out of the 20 teams that take part in the competition, only ourselves and Montpellier have scored less than at least 10 tries in the five matches, we have 8 and they have 7.

​​​​​​There is simply no way that we are going to be able to compete against the bigger budgeted teams with that try scoring rate. Maybe we will improve on that front when Larkham has had a bit more time with the backs but I have my doubts.

Despite all that I'll still be out to support them next Sunday.
          We had to score tries against Saracens and Racing (and,
          ok, Ospreys), Montpellier has to score theirs against Toulouse, Gloucester and Connacht. I suspect that makes a difference.

Comment

I like our inv.estment in 2 quality international players as coaches - they need time, although our forwards have played very well with Kleyn and JOD starting to shine. Clearly missing Tadgh and Joey.
            However a couple of our backs are pro 14 at best in Scannell and Hailey - id prefer Goggin and Daly were given a few games.
            Leinster are so good at the moment that we will have nobody in 6N squad hopefully!!
            We need a good pre season and a couple of marquee signings

For me the turning point yesterday was Farrell not scoring a try - that was the game if we made it.
            Did better than I expected - having been in Ravenhill last Friday.
            Last edited by galinka; 13th-January-2020, 16:12. Reason: Spelling error

Comment

Originally posted by Jan Sanono View Post
              A lot of you are getting a bit too downbeat lads. We had as hard a group as I’ve ever seen in Europe, in the worst season (post-WC with a new coaching ticket) to get such a group. Our first-choice out-half has been out all season, our second-choice since November and out third played 80 minutes off the back of an injury yesterday. Besides that, we had bad luck with the weather vs sarries in Thomond and a French TV director in Paris.

If you think back to the past three seasons, we went into three European semis and each time we faced the hard truth that we’d been beaten badly all over the pitch for large portions of the game. Who were those semis against? Sarries, Racing and Sarries. Those games wee in neutral venues which our support made our own. When you take that into consideration, this season we went to London and Paris, into their home grounds and matched them, even were beating them both, with 70 minutes on the clock. After that we just fell off the pace slightly once we had to start chasing a game. There’s an argument to be made there that the coaches were a bit too reluctant to bring on subs, but everything is 20/20 in hindsight. Remember that yesterday we kept the best attacking team in Europe on their preferred 4G pitch to a single try in 70 minutes (which included a blatant knock-on in the build up and the best bloody pass you’ll ever see on a rugby pitch).

When I compare this season to the other 3 this millennium where we’ve not made the knock-outs, this one gives me the most hope for the future. 2011 felt unlucky but the slide was obviously starting at that point imo. 2015 was disappointing because it’d started quite well until we went on a bad stretch of games and 2016 was about as poor as it got. We went to Paris needing a win in round 5 then as well and we played poorly, very poorly, IIRC we didn’t even score for 70 minutes or so.

With all that in mind, I feel positive for our future. We’ve some exciting young players coming through and the coaches are still settling in a bit. Let’s give it time and hope for our first silverware in 9 years come June. Many people said this group would be incredibly tough and, guess what, it was. Who knows, we might still make the knockouts if a few miracles go our way. This isn’t the end of this journey, I’m positive we’ll be back on the top step of Europe some time soon. SUAF.
              Get outta here with your encouragement and positive thinking. This is a chip on both shoulders forum not some sisters of chastity retreat! We're doomed, DOOMED!

Comment

Watched it back and whilst we really left everything on the pitch we made a lot of errors and Racing were not great.
                What stuck out was Haley had a shocker, Kleyn gave a stupid penalty at a point when Racing were struggling and this is so typical of this team and our bench wasn't used correctly. Kleyn and Scannell should have been subbed much earlier, both were wrecked coming off the pitch.

We are also really poor at using pen advantage when close to opposition line, B Holland was guilty of throwing a nonsense offload at one stage. See Racing scored 2 tries off pen advantage plays (Finn Russell kick and scrum half pass), we just aren't a smart team and that is the worst part for me, one thing being not good enough but we make so many mental errors. Even R Scanell kicking ball out at HT when clock was just turning 40 mins. Ball left his boot a second before time when it wasn't a risk that was necessary.

We simply can't seem to score tries against decent teams, 2 tries in last 4 European games and 1 of those was an intercept. Also didn't score against Leinster.
                Last edited by Tobyglen; 13th-January-2020, 19:31.

Comment

Some interesting points from Gerry Thornley in the IT today. Reading this - Racing perhaps should have had two yellow cards. If Barnes is the number one ref then rugby is in trouble - great communicator but poor decision maker.

Racing run out clear winners to leave Munster on the brink

Only improbable series of results on final weekend will see Munster qualify

Gerry Thornley

The final scoreline hardly tells the tale of this absorbing contest, but then again it was hard to argue with as well. Munster were brave beyond doubt, and even led inside the final 10 minutes before Racing sprinted to the finishing line with a late triple whammy.

Ultimately, even if some decisions and the use of certain camera angles in the reviews were questionable, a try count of four to one – with Munster’s coming from an intercept – was telling.

Ominously, Racing always had the better of the collisions and the gain line and had looked more potent from the end of the first quarter onwards. The sides had 50 per cent possession each but Munster were overpowered and ultimately slipped off too many tackles. In addition to making nine clean breaks to two, the most telling statistic of the match was that Racing beat 39 tackles. Munster only made Racing miss 11 times – a figure which was equalled by the wrecking ball that was Virimi Vakatawa alone.

Wilting

And with the game still in the balance, Racing had way more oomph off the bench. Tellingly, although visibly wilting, Munster only made a quartet of replacements with the game up in the 78th minute while Racing introduced props Teddy Baubigny and Hassane Kolingar to serious effect before the hour mark.

Heaven knows the discrepancy in playing budgets between these sides – not to mention Saracens – but it was neatly summed up in Racing brining on Maxime Machenaud at scrumhalf whereas the IRFU decreed that Alby Mathewson was surplus to Munster’s requirements after the initial draw between the two sides at Thomond Park in November.

A sizeable contingent from the Red Army would only have been encouraged when news filtered through that an unwell Donnacha Ryan, who had been named on the bench, had been ruled out, and by their team’s start, which saw JJ Hanrahan nail three penalties for a 9-0 lead as David Kilcoyne especially gave some real momentum to their phased attacks with his charges.

At this point the penalty count was 4-0, but this was undone by Jean Kleyn blatantly blocking Teddy Iribaren and the scrumhalf picked himself up to make it 3-9.

When Dominic Bird picked off a hurriedly taken Munster lineout, twice Racing pounded at the Munster defence with Vakatawa’s strength and offloading causing havoc. When Finn Russell gathered another offload with Teddy Thomas one-on-one on the outside, the outhalf was penalised for not releasing in the tackle - a brilliant one by Peter O’Mahony.

But Munster’s box-kicking was only serving as a starting point for Racing’s attacks into the big screen end, whether from catches or quick throws. The kicks had to go into the crowd.

One of Russell’s cheeky chips led to Mike Haley having to concede a five-metre scrum under pressure from Juan Imhoff. When Racing attacked off a strong scrum through Antonie Claassen’s pick-up the move seemed to have come to an end when Vakatawa dropped the ball in midfield.

Iribaren picked it up and, with Mike Haley blocking his left to right pass, the scrumhalf turned and slung an underarm pass off his right hand – measured at fully 23 metres – to give Thomas a walk-in.

Vakatawa’s dropped ball was not deemed a knock-on after recourse to video replay and things were looking ominous. When O’Mahony was then pinned at a Racing ruck and pinged by Wayne Barnes, Iribaren kicked Racing in front.

A nice starter play from Munster was ended by Vakatawa deliberately knocking on Haley’s pass for Farrell. Itshould have been a yellow, and Hanrahan was slightly wide from 47 metres.

Haley kicked out on the full, badly, but atoned with a try-saving tackle on Imhoff before Conway picked off Chavancy’s pass for Vakatawa and sprinted untouched from 80 metres out to score - a 14-point turnaround. Hanrahan converted and, somehow, Munster were 16-11 ahead at the break.

A lineout steal by O’Mahony and a penalty against Bird had Munster on the front foot shortly after the resumption but Stephen Archer was pinged for a neck roll. Racing kept winning the gain line with their carries, and when O’Mahony and Archer were both offside, Iribaren tapped over the penalty.

Superb counter

A superb counter by Earls, offloading to the supporting Jack O’Donoghue, then led to Hanrahan restoring the five-point lead. Munster daringly worked an overlap inside their own 22 but Haley’s pass was picked off one-handed by Imhoff, and after Barnes dubiously deemed Hanrahan’s rip constituted a knock-on, Murray was pinged for a high tackle. Iribaren kicked the penalty as he did when Niall Scannell was penalised for a deliberate knock-on after Russell did Stander like a kipper to put Racing 20-19 in front.

However, Haley’s fine take and Conway’s kick and chase forced Iribaren to concede an attacking lineout. After a nice lineout play to launch Stander, Chris Farrell was held up over the line by Vakatawa. With a penalty advantage for a collective offside, Murray’s pass seemed to be deliberately knocked on by Imhoff and the recipient, Holland, was infuriated. But Munster had to settle for Hanrahan’s three-pointer.

Instead Camille Chat ended a prolonged Munster attack, and Russell’s long kick earned an attacking lineout. From the outhalf’s crosskick with a penalty advantage Thomas contrived a wondrous one-handed touchdown in the very corner of the in-goal area.

After Wenceslas Lauret won the game’s decisive turnover, Vakatawa beat Haley on the outside and dummied Conway to score untouched. Maxime Machenaud converted as he did when Imhoff skipped through for Racing’s bonus point try.

SCORING SEQUENCE – 4 mins: Hanrahan pen 0-3; 11: Hanrahan pen 0-6; 18: Hanrahan pen 0-9; 20: Iribaren pen 3-9; 29: Thomas try 8-9; 33: Iribaren pen 11-9; 38: Conway try, Hanrahan con 11-16; (h-t 11-16); 47: Iribaren pen 14-16; 50: Hanrahan pen 14-19; 54: Iribaren pen 17-19; 58: Iribaren pen 20-19; 65: Hanrahan pen 20-22; 72: Thomas try 25-20; 77: Vakatawa try, Machenaud con 32-22; 81: Imhoff try, Machenaud con 39-22.

RACING 92: Brice Dulin; Teddy Thomas, Virimi Vakatawa, Henry Chavancy (capt), Juan Imhoff; Finn Russell, Teddy Iribaren; Eddy Ben Arous, Camille Chat, Ben Tameifuna; Boris Palu, Dominic Bird; Wenceslas Lauret, Bernard Le Roux, Antonie Claassen. Replacements: Teddy Baubigny for Ben Arous, Hassane Kolingar for Tameifuna (both 54 mins), Cedate Gomes Sa for Chat, Maxime Machenaud for Iribaren (both 70), Fabien Sanconnie for Le Roux, Olivier Klemenczak for Chavancy (both 73), Ben Volavola for Russell (78). Not used:Baptiste Chouzenoux. MUNSTER: Mike Haley; Andrew Conway, Chris Farrell, Rory Scannell, Keith Earls; JJ Hanrahan, Conor Murray; Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, Stephen Archer; Jean Kleyn, Billy Holland; Peter O’Mahony (capt), Jack O’Donoghue, CJ Stander. Replacements: Jeremy Loughman for Kilcoyne, John Ryan for Archer (both 65 mins), Arno Botha for Kleyn (70), Chris Cloete for O’Donoghue (73), Kevin O’Byrne for N Scannell, Craig Casey for Murray, Dan Goggin for R Scannell, Shane Daly for Haley (all 78). Referee: Wayne Barnes (En

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post

I don't think anyone is suggesting it happens now. Just that there's a reasonable expectation that we'll see ongoing progress through the season.
                    I don't understand your point. You seem to be saying that some BMs want JVG to be sacked sometime in the future. No club makes that kind of decision. We could win the Pro 14 ?

JVG has brought in 2 highly rated coaches and, we hope, is bringing in 2 top internationals. He is working to a clear plan but must be given time.

Surely, the fact that we were not that far from getting out of the hardest group of all, is progress when we had failed to compete with our 2 main group opponents in the recent past moreover when you consider our injury list.

Comment

Entertaining game yesterday and the better team won.

One noticeable difference between the sides was that Racing were consistently going forward when in possession, which is something we struggle to do.

I do not understand why we kicked away possession so often to a team like Racing in an indoor arena. We were just inviting them to counter which was inviting trouble.

Comment

Let's knock the sacking of JVG nonsense on the head - it is just fodder for journo's. First of all, it is not justified as we are bedding in in a new team, but what if we did fire him? If JVG goes, JP Ferreira almost certainly goes and while he hasn't the high profile of Jacques Nienaber, he is an excellent defence coach. Such a move could also jeopardize the signing of De Allende and Snyman (which hasn't yet been confirmed) so let's stop pandering to this rubbish. Our coaching team is in place until the end of next season at the very least (unless we add a skills or contact/breakdown coach) and we as supporters should all get behind them and leave the muttering to lazy journalists/commentators trying to fill out their articles

Comment

This might sound really strange but the loss, while disappointing, was almost a weight lifted off our shoulders.

1. We gave it everything on Sunday and that’s really important. I’ll take loss once it‘s a battle, where we fight until the end. They can’t be faulted for effort. They were beaten by a better team.
                          Size and ridiculously talented players are to thank for their win. But I was proud of the way we dug in. We couldn’t keep pace with their huge players and overwhelming bench but we played hard. There were moments in the game that showed growth, which we have been showing all season. It’s not always been obvious with the results in this ridiculous group, but it’s been there. Hanrahan is a prime example, something as simple as JJ taking the ball off POM and telling him he was going to take the kick for goal. That’s the least amount of pressure I’ve seen Hanrahan play under...ever. I think he’s thrived under the new coaches and obviously getting a run of games.

2. It’s important to remember that this Munster team is not the same from 10 years ago, what we did back then is irrelevant. Even if we had qualified out of our group the likelihood of us making a final, never mind winning the competition, were pretty slim. Now we have the space to concentrate on getting to where we need to, to win our Pro14 group, get a home semi and go from there. People can complain that we should have higher ambitions than that, but it’s just not where we are at the moment. We need time. There are some really good, young players coming through our system, on the verge of making this team, they just need time. They are, I think, the best prospects we’ve seen in a long time. The coaches, who the media are implying are under pressure, are not at fault. The players available to them were mostly in place before any of them got here. They are doing the best they can with the players they have. It’s not the biggest squad, we have our injuries and we’re trying to get two new coaches systems in place. We need more time. That’s the last thing anyone wants to hear but it’s true. To bring in new players, set new systems etc.

We need to figure out a way to keep up. We will never be able to compete with the riches of Saracens/Racing or the elite Leinster private schools. It’s just the way it is, and while that doesn’t leave a good taste in the mouth, we just have to try and adapt to that. I don’t know how but thankfully that’s not my job to figure that out.

I do think we are in an almost changing of the guard season, younger players will start to push their way on to the starting team and automatic starters won’t continue to be automatic first choice for too much longer. That’s just how it goes, the loss against Racing will hopefully make that transition a little easier. Starting, hopefully, against Ospreys. I’m against rotation for the sake of rotation but when you’ve players who have been pushing first team selection, they deserve to be given their shot. It’s the end one journey but I think it’s that start of another. That’s not a bad thing.
                          Last edited by Stringer9; 14th-January-2020, 01:19.
                          The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Comment

Originally posted by The Yak View Post

I don't understand your point. You seem to be saying that some BMs want JVG to be sacked sometime in the future. No club makes that kind of decision. We could win the Pro 14 ?

JVG has brought in 2 highly rated coaches and, we hope, is bringing in 2 top internationals. He is working to a clear plan but must be given time.

Surely, the fact that we were not that far from getting out of the hardest group of all, is progress when we had failed to compete with our 2 main group opponents in the recent past moreover when you consider our injury list.
                            My point is that I don't think he's shown any evidence at all that he's the man for the job in the time he's been here. With Fla and Felix going and two new coaches arriving, he has additional time to show progress. If he hasn't by the end of this season, I'd hand him his cards.

At the moment I think our performances reflect his CV.
                            "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post

Some interesting points from Gerry Thornley in the IT today. Reading this - Racing perhaps should have had two yellow cards. If Barnes is the number one ref then rugby is in trouble - great communicator but poor decision maker.

Racing run out clear winners to leave Munster on the brink

Only improbable series of results on final weekend will see Munster qualify

Gerry Thornley

The final scoreline hardly tells the tale of this absorbing contest, but then again it was hard to argue with as well. Munster were brave beyond doubt, and even led inside the final 10 minutes before Racing sprinted to the finishing line with a late triple whammy.

Ultimately, even if some decisions and the use of certain camera angles in the reviews were questionable, a try count of four to one – with Munster’s coming from an intercept – was telling.

Ominously, Racing always had the better of the collisions and the gain line and had looked more potent from the end of the first quarter onwards. The sides had 50 per cent possession each but Munster were overpowered and ultimately slipped off too many tackles. In addition to making nine clean breaks to two, the most telling statistic of the match was that Racing beat 39 tackles. Munster only made Racing miss 11 times – a figure which was equalled by the wrecking ball that was Virimi Vakatawa alone.

Wilting

And with the game still in the balance, Racing had way more oomph off the bench. Tellingly, although visibly wilting, Munster only made a quartet of replacements with the game up in the 78th minute while Racing introduced props Teddy Baubigny and Hassane Kolingar to serious effect before the hour mark.

Heaven knows the discrepancy in playing budgets between these sides – not to mention Saracens – but it was neatly summed up in Racing brining on Maxime Machenaud at scrumhalf whereas the IRFU decreed that Alby Mathewson was surplus to Munster’s requirements after the initial draw between the two sides at Thomond Park in November.

A sizeable contingent from the Red Army would only have been encouraged when news filtered through that an unwell Donnacha Ryan, who had been named on the bench, had been ruled out, and by their team’s start, which saw JJ Hanrahan nail three penalties for a 9-0 lead as David Kilcoyne especially gave some real momentum to their phased attacks with his charges.

At this point the penalty count was 4-0, but this was undone by Jean Kleyn blatantly blocking Teddy Iribaren and the scrumhalf picked himself up to make it 3-9.

When Dominic Bird picked off a hurriedly taken Munster lineout, twice Racing pounded at the Munster defence with Vakatawa’s strength and offloading causing havoc. When Finn Russell gathered another offload with Teddy Thomas one-on-one on the outside, the outhalf was penalised for not releasing in the tackle - a brilliant one by Peter O’Mahony.

But Munster’s box-kicking was only serving as a starting point for Racing’s attacks into the big screen end, whether from catches or quick throws. The kicks had to go into the crowd.

One of Russell’s cheeky chips led to Mike Haley having to concede a five-metre scrum under pressure from Juan Imhoff. When Racing attacked off a strong scrum through Antonie Claassen’s pick-up the move seemed to have come to an end when Vakatawa dropped the ball in midfield.

Iribaren picked it up and, with Mike Haley blocking his left to right pass, the scrumhalf turned and slung an underarm pass off his right hand – measured at fully 23 metres – to give Thomas a walk-in.

Vakatawa’s dropped ball was not deemed a knock-on after recourse to video replay and things were looking ominous. When O’Mahony was then pinned at a Racing ruck and pinged by Wayne Barnes, Iribaren kicked Racing in front.

A nice starter play from Munster was ended by Vakatawa deliberately knocking on Haley’s pass for Farrell. Itshould have been a yellow, and Hanrahan was slightly wide from 47 metres.

Haley kicked out on the full, badly, but atoned with a try-saving tackle on Imhoff before Conway picked off Chavancy’s pass for Vakatawa and sprinted untouched from 80 metres out to score - a 14-point turnaround. Hanrahan converted and, somehow, Munster were 16-11 ahead at the break.

A lineout steal by O’Mahony and a penalty against Bird had Munster on the front foot shortly after the resumption but Stephen Archer was pinged for a neck roll. Racing kept winning the gain line with their carries, and when O’Mahony and Archer were both offside, Iribaren tapped over the penalty.

Superb counter

A superb counter by Earls, offloading to the supporting Jack O’Donoghue, then led to Hanrahan restoring the five-point lead. Munster daringly worked an overlap inside their own 22 but Haley’s pass was picked off one-handed by Imhoff, and after Barnes dubiously deemed Hanrahan’s rip constituted a knock-on, Murray was pinged for a high tackle. Iribaren kicked the penalty as he did when Niall Scannell was penalised for a deliberate knock-on after Russell did Stander like a kipper to put Racing 20-19 in front.

However, Haley’s fine take and Conway’s kick and chase forced Iribaren to concede an attacking lineout. After a nice lineout play to launch Stander, Chris Farrell was held up over the line by Vakatawa. With a penalty advantage for a collective offside, Murray’s pass seemed to be deliberately knocked on by Imhoff and the recipient, Holland, was infuriated. But Munster had to settle for Hanrahan’s three-pointer.

Instead Camille Chat ended a prolonged Munster attack, and Russell’s long kick earned an attacking lineout. From the outhalf’s crosskick with a penalty advantage Thomas contrived a wondrous one-handed touchdown in the very corner of the in-goal area.

After Wenceslas Lauret won the game’s decisive turnover, Vakatawa beat Haley on the outside and dummied Conway to score untouched. Maxime Machenaud converted as he did when Imhoff skipped through for Racing’s bonus point try.

SCORING SEQUENCE – 4 mins: Hanrahan pen 0-3; 11: Hanrahan pen 0-6; 18: Hanrahan pen 0-9; 20: Iribaren pen 3-9; 29: Thomas try 8-9; 33: Iribaren pen 11-9; 38: Conway try, Hanrahan con 11-16; (h-t 11-16); 47: Iribaren pen 14-16; 50: Hanrahan pen 14-19; 54: Iribaren pen 17-19; 58: Iribaren pen 20-19; 65: Hanrahan pen 20-22; 72: Thomas try 25-20; 77: Vakatawa try, Machenaud con 32-22; 81: Imhoff try, Machenaud con 39-22.

RACING 92: Brice Dulin; Teddy Thomas, Virimi Vakatawa, Henry Chavancy (capt), Juan Imhoff; Finn Russell, Teddy Iribaren; Eddy Ben Arous, Camille Chat, Ben Tameifuna; Boris Palu, Dominic Bird; Wenceslas Lauret, Bernard Le Roux, Antonie Claassen. Replacements: Teddy Baubigny for Ben Arous, Hassane Kolingar for Tameifuna (both 54 mins), Cedate Gomes Sa for Chat, Maxime Machenaud for Iribaren (both 70), Fabien Sanconnie for Le Roux, Olivier Klemenczak for Chavancy (both 73), Ben Volavola for Russell (78). Not used:Baptiste Chouzenoux. MUNSTER: Mike Haley; Andrew Conway, Chris Farrell, Rory Scannell, Keith Earls; JJ Hanrahan, Conor Murray; Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, Stephen Archer; Jean Kleyn, Billy Holland; Peter O’Mahony (capt), Jack O’Donoghue, CJ Stander. Replacements: Jeremy Loughman for Kilcoyne, John Ryan for Archer (both 65 mins), Arno Botha for Kleyn (70), Chris Cloete for O’Donoghue (73), Kevin O’Byrne for N Scannell, Craig Casey for Murray, Dan Goggin for R Scannell, Shane Daly for Haley (all 78). Referee: Wayne Barnes (En
                              Does Gerry know any adjectives other than 'telling'?

Comment

Originally posted by Crazyemerald View Post
                                Let's knock the sacking of JVG nonsense on the head - it is just fodder for journo's. First of all, it is not justified as we are bedding in in a new team, but what if we did fire him? If JVG goes, JP Ferreira almost certainly goes and while he hasn't the high profile of Jacques Nienaber, he is an excellent defence coach. Such a move could also jeopardize the signing of De Allende and Snyman (which hasn't yet been confirmed) so let's stop pandering to this rubbish. Our coaching team is in place until the end of next season at the very least (unless we add a skills or contact/breakdown coach) and we as supporters should all get behind them and leave the muttering to lazy journalists/commentators trying to fill out their articles

I don't think it's lazy muttering. He arrived here as someone who'd been a Technical Adviser to the worst Boks team in living memory (one rapidly turned around and improved by Erasmus so let's be clear - the previous ticket was ****).

Prior to that he was Forwards and Attack Coach for the Bulls. Super 14 Titles in 2007, 2009, 2010.

He coached his first game for Munster in November 2017. It's now January 2020. Our limitations have been clearly visible since his first season here. He's had the back end of 17/18, then he "needed a whole pre-season". In 18-19 we were basically the same team, hitting a wall in the semis, and Fla and Felix went as a result. We're now a few months into 19/20 - his second full season in charge. Ok, there's been world cup disruption and he's bedding in new coaches. Fine, grand, I totally believe he should be given time to do so.

And I know that the chances are we will do nothing about it anyway.

But I can't accept that it's unreasonable to expect some visible sign that things will be different next year when a coach has been in place for two and a half seasons. I can't accept that it's not reasonable to expect that a guy in the midst of his second full season in the job might have stamped some sort of identity on his team, regardless of changes in support.

I'm not calling for his head. I'm just saying he has plenty to prove in the rest of this year, and limited credentials to demand that people wait faithfully for him to show what he can do.

And it's not unreasonable for us not to be critical. We talk about our defence, but we've just conceded 77 points in two games. No one is going to be protesting on the terraces, but this is a professional game and there has to be both expectation and accountability.

JVG now has a strong coaching ticket in place. He has his internationals back. We've got Ospreys, Kings, Zebre, Scarlets at home, Benetton twice and Cardiff in Thomond before we play Leinster in the Aviva in April.

I don't think it's unreasonable at all to think that we should arrive in Dublin looking like a very, very different outfit. And if we don't, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask why not.

In fact, I'd be amazed if anyone at his level in his profession would disagree with that.
                                Last edited by Balla Boy; 14th-January-2020, 07:43.
                                "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Working...
                                X