Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HEC R5. Racing vs. Munster. Paris. TV Coverage BT Sport. Sunday 12th Jan @3.15pm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The suggestion that we should dump JVG is inane. We have brought some quality Saffers in and this connection will provide 2 more quality additions.

IMO, we have made huge progress when u factor in our injuries. We were highly competitive against Sarries and Racing, denied by a few feet of 2 wins and 2 defeats. Heretofore these sides were well ahead of us.

I am very hopeful that with a season of our new management and the 2 new Saffers then we can compete with the top tier sides again.

Now is the time to support our management and players. JVG asked for patience, that is not unreasonable IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by The Yak View Post
      The suggestion that we should dump JVG is inane. We have brought some quality Saffers in and this connection will provide 2 more quality additions.

IMO, we have made huge progress when u factor in our injuries. We were highly competitive against Sarries and Racing, denied by a few feet of 2 wins and 2 defeats. Heretofore these sides were well ahead of us.

I am very hopeful that with a season of our new management and the 2 new Saffers then we can compete with the top tier sides again.

Now is the time to support our management and players. JVG asked for patience, that is not unreasonable IMO.

I don't think anyone is suggesting it happens now. Just that there's a reasonable expectation that we'll see ongoing progress through the season.

"We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
        TMO can access any camera that they need. Directors cant influence what TMO sees
        The attached might be interesting.
        Apparently TV directors have a bit more sway than thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post

It's good that it's happening at Academy level. I don't even know when that window closes, to be honest. Can you meaningfully improve the skill levels of a 30 year old player who's been playing since they were 11?
          Unfortunately not. Some improvement could be got but chance for meaningful gains not really there but definitely arriving to the ruck and kicking back the ball to the other side is too basic an error for this level surely.
          \"If you can dream it, you can do it\".
          \"To the cowardly and unfaithful, nothing is possible\"

Comment

It didn't work all the time yesterday, but it was good to see an attempt to expand the attacking game. There was an attempt to connect the forward and back lines. Kleyn's pull-back passes to a distributor in the back line were a little off, but they showed a willingness to expand the attacking game.

I think Racing's quality is a little bit over-exaggerated. For me, the only difference between Munster and Racing was Virimi Vakatawa. At the moment Munster's back line has a nice combination of power in Chris Farrell, finishers in Earls and Conway, and all-rounders in Scannell and Haley, but I don't think there is a Vakatawa or a Raka or Kolbe. These are guys who can create space from nothing, due to their physical capabilities(combinations of speed and power), as much as anything else. They can transform very ordinary attacking game plans into attacks that are very hard to defend.

I'm pretty happy with the back line players Munster are producing, so I wouldn't be in favour of signing another back unless they are guys with very different physical capabilities to the types of back we usually produce i.e. (I would rather we sign an unknown Fijian prospect with rare physical capabilities than somebody like Gallagher)

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
              . .

I can't see Munster winning Europe again, the gap between the wealth and the rest will only widen in years to come.
              I was told this for DEFINITE FACT in 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Dude View Post

The truth hurts, doesn't it.
                Ah, another who discovered rugby in 2009.
                "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Jollygreengiant View Post

Unfortunately not. Some improvement could be got but chance for meaningful gains not really there but definitely arriving to the ruck and kicking back the ball to the other side is too basic an error for this level surely.

It is, but I've long been of the belief that most errors at this level are caused by systems and fitness. If guys know where they're supposed to be, and arrive there in reasonable nick, the error rates plummet.

I'm still hoping that the error rates are teething pains. For instance, in that phase where we ****ed up the two long passes through fatigued players yesterday, we seemed to be aiming for a very deep receiver who was acting as a pivot. That's a longer pass than a lot of our guys are used to making and they're blowing hard while doing it.

They definitely need to get to a point where they're thinking less about what's going on. That yields more returns than trying to teach locks to spin off both hands at this stage in their careers.

"We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Dude View Post

'unfair on JVG' ! Wow could any man look at Haley yesterday for 77 minutes (what was the point of bringing on Daly with less that 3min. to go?). Haley is a Pro14 Fullback at most. That was glaringly obvious yesterday.
                    Haley has been very good this season. Yesterday he returned to the nervous lad he was early last season. He might easily have been subbed earlier, and I agree (see posts above) that the (non) use of the bench yesterday was puzzling. However, he did pick both Daly and Casey on the bench yesterday- that was surprising (eg McCarthy has been deputy to Murray all season when Alby wasn’t available), and very very welcome. I don’t know why he didn’t make changes earlier- but it’s worth remembering the starting side (props aside) was leading until the dam burst on 71 minutes. Would we have gone further ahead had he made more changes on 60 mins? Had we got and kicked a pen on 75 mins to level the scores, and gone on to win- would the lack of changes still have been a mistake?

Very few gave us any chance of a win yesterday, but we were very very close to doing so until the last five minutes- this doesn’t, for me, hide the inadequacies the games against Racing and Sarries have revealed- but dumping the head coach and who knows how long more being in a state of transition will not- I believe- close that gap. There are systemic problems which need to be addressed if we are to go more than get lucky with a particular generation of players. My gut feeling is that many in the club now realise this, and we have the people in place to do so, and the core of a very exciting group of young players coming through.

Comment

Originally posted by aupa les rouges View Post

I was told this for DEFINITE FACT in 2003
                      I'm not being pessimistic, it just seems to be the way the sport is going in this hemisphere. Furthermore in 2003 we had what would become some rugby superstars in one big glut - right now we are shoehorning flankers into the second row to get along like. Leinster now look more like where we were in 2003 than we do IMO

The more money influences the game the fewer teams will lift trophies. Its a shame but money built Toulon, built Saracens and built Racing, and the difference is when one of them loses 2 outhalfs to injury they get in a world class ringer - and we dont.

We do not have enough top end players, we do not have the ability to bring in more at will. Thats the glass ceiling in my opinion.
                      I am the million man.

Comment

Out of the 20 teams that take part in the competition, only ourselves and Montpellier have scored less than at least 10 tries in the five matches, we have 8 and they have 7.

​​​​​​There is simply no way that we are going to be able to compete against the bigger budgeted teams with that try scoring rate. Maybe we will improve on that front when Larkham has had a bit more time with the backs but I have my doubts.

Despite all that I'll still be out to support them next Sunday.

Comment

Larkham made a difference at the start of the season when he had the players for a few months. Since the internationals came back the tries have dried up. I think the away win at Cardiff was the last match before the internationals came back. Since then then tries have really dried up.

There's now going to be a run of mostly winnable games. It should give the players breathing space to get to grips with Larkhams way of playing and try to be more potent by seasons end.

Interesting looking at leinster this season they have stepped up a level. They've a lot of players coming through but they're also very well coached. They got in a contact skills coach and it looks to be paying off. As well as that their basic handling and passing are very good and they look more comfortable on the ball. I'd say munster could do with a skills coach because there are a lot of players in need of it. One or two errors can be the difference between winning and losing.

Comment

Sometimes it's OK to say nothing.
                            Let's talk about winning the Pro14
                            He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

Haley has been very good this season. Yesterday he returned to the nervous lad he was early last season. He might easily have been subbed earlier, and I agree (see posts above) that the (non) use of the bench yesterday was puzzling. However, he did pick both Daly and Casey on the bench yesterday- that was surprising (eg McCarthy has been deputy to Murray all season when Alby wasn’t available), and very very welcome. I don’t know why he didn’t make changes earlier- but it’s worth remembering the starting side (props aside) was leading until the dam burst on 71 minutes. Would we have gone further ahead had he made more changes on 60 mins? Had we got and kicked a pen on 75 mins to level the scores, and gone on to win- would the lack of changes still have been a mistake?

Very few gave us any chance of a win yesterday, but we were very very close to doing so until the last five minutes- this doesn’t, for me, hide the inadequacies the games against Racing and Sarries have revealed- but dumping the head coach and who knows how long more being in a state of transition will not- I believe- close that gap. There are systemic problems which need to be addressed if we are to go more than get lucky with a particular generation of players. My gut feeling is that many in the club now realise this, and we have the people in place to do so, and the core of a very exciting group of young players coming through.
                              I agree with you for the most part but I do believe JVG is very slow to execute warranted changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Dog View Post

Typical! I turn up to offer my deepest commiserations and try to cheer ye all up, only for a ill-natured yahoo from Outer Mongolia to throw a hissy fit!

Oh and, just for the record, I "turned up" here only a couple of weeks ago following Leinster's enjoyable win in Limerick, but the level of banter was so mediocre that I left immediately.
                                Welcome back OD; I hope you can’t stay long..

Comment

Working...
                                X