Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HEC R5. Racing vs. Munster. Paris. TV Coverage BT Sport. Sunday 12th Jan @3.15pm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post
    Unfortunately coming 2nd in the Pro14 group last season is what put you in that group.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    True that. And idiotic moves like throwing a home game against Edinburgh will likely land us in the same spot next year.
    "There are probably more annoying things than being hectored about African development by a wealthy Irish rock star in a cowboy hat, but I can't think of one at the moment"

Paul Theroux

Comment

Originally posted by Joedenak View Post

I stopped reading this drivel when he suggested beirne came from leinster. He started his career at leinster but he came from the scarlets. Nothing more than a WUM.
      The truth hurts, doesn't it.

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post

He's only one example, but he's been in an unenviable position. A team with little attacking vision beyond one out running who don't want to pass the ball, no stability in his Fly Half partner at all, no real consistency in his partner at 13. How much do we really know about the guy?
        This encapsulates the dilemma we have (and have had). He’s a brave, dependable, hard working and skilful player- who has turned himself into the player we thought we needed. Unfortunately for him he has become typecast in a role, but it’s no longer what we need. JJ is playing more consistently than ever- but looked very limited yesterday compared with Russell- I doubt he will ever reach that level. Joey might- but 4 odd games in 12 months? Does anyone believe TB will be that world class 10 in two years time? That’s why I want us to use next week, the break and easier PRO14 games to make some radical changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Dude View Post

The truth hurts, doesn't it.
          We were leading with ten minutes left. The article stinks of a lad who just checked the final score and regurgitated the rubbish they've been spinning for months without actually watching a game.

Comment

Originally posted by busby View Post

True that. And idiotic moves like throwing a home game against Edinburgh will likely land us in the same spot next year.
            You expect us to play our first team more than five weeks running straight after a world cup?

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

That’s a bit unfair on Jvg I think, he has brought in several younger players this year, and they’ve had some (albeit not enough) game time, when the fixtures allowed (ok the Edinburgh selection may have been a risk too far, but there weren’t opportunities after that). Daly and Casey on the bench today showed, I think, what he wants to do, and I think we’ll see more of It very he next few weeks.
              'unfair on JVG' ! Wow could any man look at Haley yesterday for 77 minutes (what was the point of bringing on Daly with less that 3min. to go?). Haley is a Pro14 Fullback at most. That was glaringly obvious yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by Dude View Post

'unfair on JVG' ! Wow could any man look at Haley yesterday for 77 minutes (what was the point of bringing on Daly with less that 3min. to go?). Haley is a Pro14 Fullback at most. That was glaringly obvious yesterday.
                'How' that should have read.

Comment

Originally posted by Salty Dog View Post
                  Dismal
                  Eamonn Sweeney: 'Munster are staring into the abyss for a long time'

https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby...-38855608.html
                  What a load of drivel.
                  "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                  Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Gutsy performance yesterday. We were right in it against a very strong team up until the last few. Unfortunately we completely ran out of gas. No idea why we chose not to use the bench earlier, surely that was a game crying our for Cloete to come in and wreck heads for 20 minutes? We were unlucky in spots too, that was a definite knock on in the lead up to their first try and the grounding for Thomas' try looked questionable. No idea how there could be so few available camera angles in the Starship Enterprise. In fairness we also had our own slice of luck with the Conway intercept.

That was always going to be a tough group to get out of, particularly with us trying to bed in a new coaching staff in very little time. If things had gone our way a bit more we could have had a win at home to Racing, could have snatched a win or an LBP in London and could have held on with ten to go yesterday. So it's disappointing, but not a disaster.
                    "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

Originally posted by Yatenga View Post
                      we gave it a fair rattle but were clearly second best
                      Conways try kept us in it for longer than we were entitled to.
                      But we hung in there and JVG has to take the rap for delaying the substitutions
                      All that said for Thomas try - the decisive score - I was swearing at the French TV Director who on cue cant produce an angle to see if he is onside or not. How long does this crap go on? Maybe he was onside, maybe he wasnt but on French TV we will never know
                      TMO can access any camera that they need. Directors cant influence what TMO sees

Comment

Originally posted by Jenta View Post
                        Gutsy performance yesterday. We were right in it against a very strong team up until the last few. Unfortunately we completely ran out of gas. No idea why we chose not to use the bench earlier, surely that was a game crying our for Cloete to come in and wreck heads for 20 minutes? We were unlucky in spots too, that was a definite knock on in the lead up to their first try and the grounding for Thomas' try looked questionable. No idea how there could be so few available camera angles in the Starship Enterprise. In fairness we also had our own slice of luck with the Conway intercept.

That was always going to be a tough group to get out of, particularly with us trying to bed in a new coaching staff in very little time. If things had gone our way a bit more we could have had a win at home to Racing, could have snatched a win or an LBP in London and could have held on with ten to go yesterday. So it's disappointing, but not a disaster.

All of this is being seen through the prism of the back end of December I think. It will take another decent performance on Sunday to put us clear of that.
                        "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

I have no allegiances to the new coaches that came in this year but I do feel the one role that hasn't been filled properly is a skills coach. The new coaches have probably only had 5 weeks with all the squad together with the World Cup and the xmas break. I would feel that the best will come from them after the 6 nations and maybe even before it with the 4 week break on the horizon granted the intl's may not be there. For a coaching ticket trying to start from scratch that is not ideal. What is less than ideal and compounding that broken time time with the players is that our basic skills are frustrating us big time. We were told a skills coach was to be added but that hasn't been the case and the amount of basic errors made while in possession yesterday with bad presentation at ruck, bad passes(we had a try under the posts with JJ's penalty in the 2nd half but for an awful pass to Holland), basic knock-ons, bad kicks and decision making also was cruel particularly twice by Haley with a kick and a pass.
                          Going forward if Munster doesn't present with a sea shift in terms of its attitude towards game skills as well as the other areas we are at nothing. I hear it has begun to happen at academy and sub-academy level but too late fro any meaningful reward in the short term.
                          \"If you can dream it, you can do it\".
                          \"To the cowardly and unfaithful, nothing is possible\"

Comment

Originally posted by Jollygreengiant View Post
                            I have no allegiances to the new coaches that came in this year but I do feel the one role that hasn't been filled properly is a skills coach. The new coaches have probably only had 5 weeks with all the squad together with the World Cup and the xmas break. I would feel that the best will come from them after the 6 nations and maybe even before it with the 4 week break on the horizon granted the intl's may not be there. For a coaching ticket trying to start from scratch that is not ideal. What is less than ideal and compounding that broken time time with the players is that our basic skills are frustrating us big time. We were told a skills coach was to be added but that hasn't been the case and the amount of basic errors made while in possession yesterday with bad presentation at ruck, bad passes(we had a try under the posts with JJ's penalty in the 2nd half but for an awful pass to Holland), basic knock-ons, bad kicks and decision making also was cruel particularly twice by Haley with a kick and a pass.
                            Going forward if Munster doesn't present with a sea shift in terms of its attitude towards game skills as well as the other areas we are at nothing. I hear it has begun to happen at academy and sub-academy level but too late fro any meaningful reward in the short term.

It's good that it's happening at Academy level. I don't even know when that window closes, to be honest. Can you meaningfully improve the skill levels of a 30 year old player who's been playing since they were 11?
                            "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Is there a Box Kick stat anywhere. No other team now do the box kick thing as much as Munster. Since the tactic of crowding in front of the receiver it’s become a possession give away and yesterday was no different. Why when others have abandoned it do We continue with it. What are our acclaimed coaches looking at.
                              Its a big contributor to the Conor Murray decline. If he left the kicking to the out half he could possibly get involved in the game in a more dynamic way and show his undoubted ability.
                              Scrum half is fast becoming the most important position on the field and any style of play starts there.
                              But as has been the case in Rugby forever it’s the way the ball is presented to him that makes the scrum half the commander in chief or the villain and there’s lots of work needed in that area also.
                              We better not throw our toys out of the pram like we did with Rob Penney because after that NZers wouldn’t touch us with a forty foot pole and we now risk the SA connection by blaming VG as a convenient fall guy.
                              No it’s heads down now, work on the new plans, get a decent finish to the Pro14 and hit the ground RUNNING next season.

Comment

Originally posted by jasper View Post

Agreed. Those wayward passes (by Scannell and Kleyn IIRC) were proof positive that substitutions came much too late. Both players looked punchdrunk, flinging balls wide and wouldn't have made the same mistake earlier in the game. Add to that the fact that Daly, Goggin, Casey, and O’Byrne were put on the field in the 78th minute, with Botha coming on after 70 and Cloete after 72 and it becomes abundantly clear that we don't trust our bench. I don't expect us to have the depth that Racing do, but if you're giving someone 2 minutes in the Heineken Cup, it's for the sake of a cap, not because you feel they are going to make a difference.
                                Another really poor management decision but also player decisions. We needed to change the game when we went behind and instead we kept players on who were dead on feet. Our bench choices made no sense and whatever about losing today, a Munster of old would have two more bonus pts going into game and looked for one more today as a min. ROG is dead right. All this talk of luck and hard groups is just wishful thinking. We got the group we got and we had to be at our best and despite the effort we are team that is not playing to a game plan that is working. Hopefully Larkem will change that but it annoys me that we don't have a Flannery, ROG or Prendergast in with him to add some history.

Comment

Working...
                                X