Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HEC R5. Racing vs. Munster. Paris. TV Coverage BT Sport. Sunday 12th Jan @3.15pm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigLad View Post
    And we got a dog of a group don’t forget that. I think if we were in any other group we were coming out.
    Unfortunately coming 2nd in the Pro14 group last season is what put you in that group.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Comment

And we got a dog of a group don’t forget that. I think if we were in any other group we were coming out.
      I have to agree....you have last year's winner and two semifinalists in the same group, at least one good team is going home. No other group had anything approaching that level of quality in it. It does suck to see the cheaters end up going thru, but hey, that's life.

Comment

We also need racing to beat Saracens at home which I don’t see happening unless Saracens play a second team which I bet they won’t.
        It depends on whether Racing are playing for a home semi or not.(Haven't looked at the table, have no idea) If they are, they'll end out a strong side. They don't want to travel into possibly bad weather.

Comment

Honestly what killed them today was that stretch where they were exerting pressure but threw a few wayward passes one after the next. the last time the took the points I thought they'd have gone for another scrum, but taking the points is the right thing to do even though momentum was on their side. The box kicking has got to stop. Pass it back to 10 or 12 and just boot it into touch. Murray's kicks gain them nothing at this point. thought he sped up a fair bit at times today, all in all a tough loss, but it is what it is. They didn't have two soft teams in the group to beat up on and rack up points against.

Comment

Originally posted by Finnegan79 View Post
            Honestly what killed them today was that stretch where they were exerting pressure but threw a few wayward passes one after the next. the last time the took the points I thought they'd have gone for another scrum, but taking the points is the right thing to do even though momentum was on their side. The box kicking has got to stop. Pass it back to 10 or 12 and just boot it into touch. Murray's kicks gain them nothing at this point. thought he sped up a fair bit at times today, all in all a tough loss, but it is what it is. They didn't have two soft teams in the group to beat up on and rack up points against.
            Agreed. Those wayward passes (by Scannell and Kleyn IIRC) were proof positive that substitutions came much too late. Both players looked punchdrunk, flinging balls wide and wouldn't have made the same mistake earlier in the game. Add to that the fact that Daly, Goggin, Casey, and O’Byrne were put on the field in the 78th minute, with Botha coming on after 70 and Cloete after 72 and it becomes abundantly clear that we don't trust our bench. I don't expect us to have the depth that Racing do, but if you're giving someone 2 minutes in the Heineken Cup, it's for the sake of a cap, not because you feel they are going to make a difference.

Comment

we gave it a fair rattle but were clearly second best
              Conways try kept us in it for longer than we were entitled to.
              But we hung in there and JVG has to take the rap for delaying the substitutions
              All that said for Thomas try - the decisive score - I was swearing at the French TV Director who on cue cant produce an angle to see if he is onside or not. How long does this crap go on? Maybe he was onside, maybe he wasnt but on French TV we will never know

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post
                It got a lot better after you left.
                No it didn't, that's why I seldom post here any more,
                If your religion is worth killing for, please start with yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Finnegan79 View Post

It depends on whether Racing are playing for a home semi or not.(Haven't looked at the table, have no idea) If they are, they'll end out a strong side. They don't want to travel into possibly bad weather.
                  Quarter?
                  Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                  Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Originally posted by Yatenga View Post
                    we gave it a fair rattle but were clearly second best
                    Conways try kept us in it for longer than we were entitled to.
                    But we hung in there and JVG has to take the rap for delaying the substitutions
                    All that said for Thomas try - the decisive score - I was swearing at the French TV Director who on cue cant produce an angle to see if he is onside or not. How long does this crap go on? Maybe he was onside, maybe he wasnt but on French TV we will never know
                    Questions around onside, but also on whether he kept it in or not for me. The commentators as usual rattling on about the ball being under control, no angles to show the two potential issues.

Still, the last few minutes rendered it a non event.

"We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by jasper View Post

Agreed. Those wayward passes (by Scannell and Kleyn IIRC) were proof positive that substitutions came much too late. Both players looked punchdrunk, flinging balls wide and wouldn't have made the same mistake earlier in the game. Add to that the fact that Daly, Goggin, Casey, and O’Byrne were put on the field in the 78th minute, with Botha coming on after 70 and Cloete after 72 and it becomes abundantly clear that we don't trust our bench. I don't expect us to have the depth that Racing do, but if you're giving someone 2 minutes in the Heineken Cup, it's for the sake of a cap, not because you feel they are going to make a difference.

I was really disappointed in the use of the bench. People have commented on the relative strength of our bench vs Racings, which is fair enough on paper, but I'm still a bit baffled.

If Cloete can't be trusted to come on fresh in the last 20 when we're losing turnovers and struggling to stop powerful runners, what's he for? I suspect that we didn't spring two players who at the least could be expected to make hits and smash rucks because of that it might mean to our line out.

"We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

This season has been a write off due to new direction the coaches want to go in with the game plan. The coaches didnt arrive until the season had started so any work on developing the new game plan would be minimal. I believe we are narrowing the gap with the top teams. Previously we were getting hockeyed by saracens and racing, however now we are somewhat competitive until the last quarter when lack of depth in quality costs us. The signing of de allende and snynam will certainly add qualities to positions where we are lacking. Rory Scannell is a 6.5/7/10 inside centre. Good in most pro 14 games but against the top opposition goes missing and is largely ineffective.

You have to suffer in order to reap the rewards of a total coaching overhaul. You just have to look where Ulster are now and where they were two years ago, and Cullen was not an instant success at Leinster either. There is cause for optimism. However, come this time next year and we are in the same spot then I would be concerned.

Comment

Dismal
                          Eamonn Sweeney: 'Munster are staring into the abyss for a long time'

https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby...-38855608.html

Comment

Originally posted by Salty Dog View Post
                            Dismal

Other than the Munster needs to be Munster again- notion (neglecting the fact that the game has moved on which our new coaching set up recognises), this is a heap of horsesh@t. Somewhat unlucky with joeys injury, doesn’t even mention Beirne’s - another sorely missed yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by Joedenak View Post
                              This season has been a write off due to new direction the coaches want to go in with the game plan. The coaches didnt arrive until the season had started so any work on developing the new game plan would be minimal. I believe we are narrowing the gap with the top teams. Previously we were getting hockeyed by saracens and racing, however now we are somewhat competitive until the last quarter when lack of depth in quality costs us. The signing of de allende and snynam will certainly add qualities to positions where we are lacking. Rory Scannell is a 6.5/7/10 inside centre. Good in most pro 14 games but against the top opposition goes missing and is largely ineffective.

You have to suffer in order to reap the rewards of a total coaching overhaul. You just have to look where Ulster are now and where they were two years ago, and Cullen was not an instant success at Leinster either. There is cause for optimism. However, come this time next year and we are in the same spot then I would be concerned.

I think there's a contradiction in here, though it's all fairly reasonable.

If the coaches haven't had the opportunity to embed an improved game plan, how can we really judge the quality of the players? Is it reasonable to conclude that Scannell is a 6.5/7 while we also hold that there's no recognisable plan for the backs to play?

For me, these two things have to go hand in hand. As the plan is embedded and developed over the rest of the season, I'd be hoping that we see players respond to that and blossom. That's at least part of the role of coaches - to build on the strengths of their team and extract maximum performance.

I might be being too hopeful, but what I'd love to see over the next few months is a scenario where Larkham's game plan unshackles Scannell, and we learn that an effective passer of the ball with a very good boot has a real role to play as a second play maker.

He's only one example, but he's been in an unenviable position. A team with little attacking vision beyond one out running who don't want to pass the ball, no stability in his Fly Half partner at all, no real consistency in his partner at 13. How much do we really know about the guy?

Comment

Originally posted by Salty Dog View Post
                                Dismal

I stopped reading this drivel when he suggested beirne came from leinster. He started his career at leinster but he came from the scarlets. Nothing more than a WUM.

Comment

Working...
                                X