Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HEC R5. Racing vs. Munster. Paris. TV Coverage BT Sport. Sunday 12th Jan @3.15pm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
    I wouldn't be so pessimistic. The coaching team have known for weeks that the Paris game is all that counts to make this season a success.
    I really hope that is NOT what they are thinking. many of us want to see us play better rugby which might enable us to win competitions, rather than a one off victory and yet another exit before we get to a final.

Comment

I think some of the analysis around Munster’s attacking flaws is a little over-simplistic. For example, I’ve seen a lot of comments inferring that Munster’s current attacking issues are down solely to not getting enough gain line dominance. It’s almost as if getting gain line and playing effective attacking rugby are two highly abstract and unrelated rugby ideologies in a sequential process.

For me, getting gain line success and having fluid attacking structures should not be two mutually exclusive concepts. A good attacking structure should make winning collision easier and it shouldn’t just be the later that determines the former.

For sure, you need a certain amount of power to repel tight attacks, but the power excuse is too often a get-out-of-jail free card for poor attacking structures. I mean, New Zealand super rugby sides have the best attacking structures in the world, but they are often bested on the gain-line by South African super rugby teams.

Unless we’re happy with a variation of WarrenBall, it shouldn’t be that having good attacking structures is solely dependent on getting gain-line success. I think and I hope this(separation of the concepts) is one of the things that Larkham is trying to introduce.

Comment

Indo reporting joey broke his arm in training today
        "If all the wild horsemen of the apocalypse came around the corner O'Mahony would charge straight back at them."
        Will Greenwood

Comment

Oh my f#cking god, the poor kid is jinxed.
          When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

No mention of any new injury here

EDIT There wasn't when I first accessed that site, there is now.
            Last edited by Piquet; 6th-January-2020, 21:53.

Comment

https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby...-38838546.html
              "If all the wild horsemen of the apocalypse came around the corner O'Mahony would charge straight back at them."
              Will Greenwood

Comment

Originally posted by Mumhain View Post
                I think some of the analysis around Munster’s attacking flaws is a little over-simplistic. For example, I’ve seen a lot of comments inferring that Munster’s current attacking issues are down solely to not getting enough gain line dominance. It’s almost as if getting gain line and playing effective attacking rugby are two highly abstract and unrelated rugby ideologies in a sequential process.

For me, getting gain line success and having fluid attacking structures should not be two mutually exclusive concepts. A good attacking structure should make winning collision easier and it shouldn’t just be the later that determines the former.

For sure, you need a certain amount of power to repel tight attacks, but the power excuse is too often a get-out-of-jail free card for poor attacking structures. I mean, New Zealand super rugby sides have the best attacking structures in the world, but they are often bested on the gain-line by South African super rugby teams.

Unless we’re happy with a variation of WarrenBall, it shouldn’t be that having good attacking structures is solely dependent on getting gain-line success. I think and I hope this(separation of the concepts) is one of the things that Larkham is trying to introduce.
                This. japan weren't running over Ireland, but they ran through them b/c they weren't afraid to take a backward step to create space for their backs to run. Once you throw a few passes, the line can't just stay in place the way it can when you play close to it with no deception. We saw Munster do this at the beginning of the year, why they've gone back to this more blunt approach is beyond me.

Comment

Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post

The Cardiff game was a bit of a surprise and it was a near misss against both Edinburgh and Leinster.

I think he should have prioritised the Edinburgh game more in terms of selection and taken even more of a hit in the Ulster game. To be fair he doesnt really know how players will perform and gave them a try. JOS, Casey and Daly look to be the real winners from more game time. All 3 deserve to be in the squad for Sunday.

It really annoys me that so many people see Casey as the solution of all our problems. I do believe that he's a good prospect but including him in the squad on Sunday , away against one of the best teams in Europe is ridiculous.

Edit: can he play Flyhalf?
                  Last edited by Chrizzzie; 6th-January-2020, 18:17.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Fantastic View Post
                    Indo reporting joey broke his arm in training today
                    Unfortunately he has - what a way to finish a **** weekend. Big issue now as to who we have to play 10 as JJ far from certain either.
                    Last edited by Redcafe1; 6th-January-2020, 18:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Fantastic View Post
                      F#ck sake. And with JJ and Tyler still out, which options do we have? Guess Scannell as 10? Really reduces our chances.

Comment

Originally posted by B.A. View Post
                        Oh my f#cking god, the poor kid is jinxed.
                        If this report is true, he isn't jinxed, he's fragile and cannot play professional rugby for any sustained period of time.. This isn't a few freak injuries, this is a worrisome pattern going back a few years. Makes me wonder about Leinster's seeming rage at losing him. I have a feeling that Cullen and Lancaster knew that he was an injury risk who couldn't sustain a run of games at starter's minutes without this happening. He is 6 feet tall and 190 pounds.....that's pretty slight. O. Farrell is only two inches taller, but 20 pounds heavier and he looks it. That has to help the durability You look at a "smaller" guy like Mathewson...5'8, 205...that's a lot more muscle on the frame to deal with the hits you take. I wonder about Casey having a decent career b/c he is tiny compared to some of these guys. Poeple talk about De Klerk being really small, but according to wiki, he is about 195 pounds, and at his height, that's pretty damn solid. Some guys are just injury prone.

i feel bad for him, he has to be absolutely gutted at this point, and I honestly don't know where they go from here with him. You have to figure that unless the floor falls out on JJ that the staff will trust him and see him as "their" guy as the season goes on, and he is only 27.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrizzzie View Post

F#ck sake. And with JJ and Tyler still out, which options do we have? Guess Scannell as 10? Really reduces our chances.
                          If JJ can't go, that's going to have to be it i suppose with Healy backing him up. Can he even do so ? I'm not totally up on who can come in and out of the HC squads and all that.

Comment

Plastic pitch not ideal for a running outhalf nursing a hamstring. At all. If it's not right or near as damnit to being right; then Scannell to ten for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Finnegan79 View Post

If this report is true, he isn't jinxed, he's fragile and cannot play professional rugby for any sustained period of time.. This isn't a few freak injuries, this is a worrisome pattern going back a few years. Makes me wonder about Leinster's seeming rage at losing him. I have a feeling that Cullen and Lancaster knew that he was an injury risk who couldn't sustain a run of games at starter's minutes without this happening. He is 6 feet tall and 190 pounds.....that's pretty slight. O. Farrell is only two inches taller, but 20 pounds heavier and he looks it. That has to help the durability You look at a "smaller" guy like Mathewson...5'8, 205...that's a lot more muscle on the frame to deal with the hits you take. I wonder about Casey having a decent career b/c he is tiny compared to some of these guys. Poeple talk about De Klerk being really small, but according to wiki, he is about 195 pounds, and at his height, that's pretty damn solid. Some guys are just injury prone.

i feel bad for him, he has to be absolutely gutted at this point, and I honestly don't know where they go from here with him. You have to figure that unless the floor falls out on JJ that the staff will trust him and see him as "their" guy as the season goes on, and he is only 27.
                              The poor lad broke his arm...….....hardly cause for a conspiracy theory.
                              Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined. &nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

I think Healy is in squad for Tyler, so the possible options all available..
                                Pray for JJ, otherwise I think you back Healy

Comment

Working...
                                X