Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HEC R5. Racing vs. Munster. Paris. TV Coverage BT Sport. Sunday 12th Jan @3.15pm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post

I have nothing of value to add on the transport issue. I just wanted to preserve in aspic what may be the world's first "Ah, now, Paris would be a fair bit rougher than Limerick like" statement
    I think the only previous comparable quote was scratched on the wall of the jacks in a pub in Normandy circa 1232! (Our time has come again)

Mary's Cathedral still has a roof even

Comment

The dog on the street can see that kicking the ball to these guys is certain death. If VanG persists with this then serious questions need to be asked of him.

SA style rugby is clinical when you have a forward pack of mutants....which we simply do not have

Comment

Originally posted by Thorns View Post
        The dog on the street can see that kicking the ball to these guys is certain death. If VanG persists with this then serious questions need to be asked of him.

SA style rugby is clinical when you have a forward pack of mutants....which we simply do not have
        In fairness we hardly did this when Racing visited us in Limerick but since ,this tactic is creeping in again.

Comment

Originally posted by AwayFromHome View Post
          100% we are underdogs. When we were in better form 2 years ago we traveled there as underdogs and were happy enough to come away with a losing bonus point. That day we had Keats at 10 and a disinterested Zebo at 15.

Full team: Simon Zebo (Alex Wootton, 73); Andrew Conway, Chris Farrell, Rory Scannell, Keith Earls; Ian Keatley (JJ Hanrahan, 79), Conor Murray; Dave Kilcoyne (James Cronin, 56), Rhys Marshall (Kevin O’Byrne, 75), Stephen Archer (John Ryan, 56); Jean Kleyn, Billy Holland; Peter O’Mahony (C) (Jack O’Donoghue, 55), Chris Cloete, CJ Stander. (Hart was on the bench for Murray but didn't get on the pitch)

I think the team that we'll put out this weekend will be as strong as the one above. We'll given them a rattle, if we come up short the world won't end and it won't mean that the squad is useless or the coaches all need to be sacked as many of the usual suspects would be saying on here (or in some cases have already started before a ball has been kicked) The Ulster game was disappointing. There are some fringe players who are playing themselves out of contract extensions (DOS, Arnold) but there are also some younger players who are starting to come through a show that they can make it (Fineen, Daly, JOS and perhaps even G Coombes at last - maybe Rowntree has gotten through to him)

If we lose marginally we'll be out of Euope through a few fine margins to very good teams (Racing h/a, Sarries away). I'd love to have the time to drag up all of the quotes from August that said we had a group of death and that success this season would be a Pro14 win/final and bringing through a good few of the young lads.

With all that said - I'll be travelling in hope more than expectation this weekend but I won't let that stop me roaring them on for the 80 minutes (especially as the missus mistakenly booked tickets for the middle of the "Ciel et Blanc" section). If I can make it a thoroughly unenjoyable afternoon for a few snarky Parisiens then it'll be a day well spent. SUAF. BELIEVE
          Great post & I agree with all except the Arnold comment, he hasn't had many chances since a long injury layoff so I wouldn't put him in the same category as DOS. I thought Arnold was one of the few who looked willing to take the fight to Ulster last weekend.

I don't see how we'll come close to winning this weekend, I can't pinpoint any specific part of our team or gameplan that would have an edge on it's Gallic counterpart other than the fact that its Munster & they can do unexplained things.

If we pull it off it would be an exceptional season even if we're knocked out at the quarters, in light of the world cup, injuries & new coaches, we've had a lot to contend with. Losing it doesn't make it an awful season either, as long as we bed in the new system fully by the time the lads go their separate ways in May I'll be happy enough & hoping the following season we can mount a real challenge in Europe.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

I agree with the thrust of this, the expectations of players are radically different. I don’t want to be too geometrical about this, but the vest we can hope for from Farrell is that it’ll be 90 degrees from both - Farrell was appointed as the continuity candidate, and given how successful Joe had been at the time that seemed sensible. I can’t imagine Farrell, will have been developing a radically different game plan for the past six months and not mentioning it to Joe.
            If it's 90 degrees it'll be vest-wearing weather alright.
            Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by mickiemcfist View Post

Great post & I agree with all except the Arnold comment, he hasn't had many chances since a long injury layoff so I wouldn't put him in the same category as DOS. I thought Arnold was one of the few who looked willing to take the fight to Ulster last weekend.

I don't see how we'll come close to winning this weekend, I can't pinpoint any specific part of our team or gameplan that would have an edge on it's Gallic counterpart other than the fact that its Munster & they can do unexplained things.

If we pull it off it would be an exceptional season even if we're knocked out at the quarters, in light of the world cup, injuries & new coaches, we've had a lot to contend with. Losing it doesn't make it an awful season either, as long as we bed in the new system fully by the time the lads go their separate ways in May I'll be happy enough & hoping the following season we can mount a real challenge in Europe.
              Unlike DOS, Arnold has plenty of guts and aggression. What he lacks is a bit of subtlety, skill and evasiveness. Great lad to run and tackle hard, but we need a bit more than that.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

Unlike DOS, Arnold has plenty of guts and aggression. What he lacks is a bit of subtlety, skill and evasiveness. Great lad to run and tackle hard, but we need a bit more than that.
                We do, but for me he does a job at the moment for non interpro league games. I'm hoping a bit of time with Larkham will bring out the best in Arnold, dog & aggression can't be taught, skills can & it's why DOS isn't as good as he could be, no dog in him unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorns View Post

Murray kicks when we lose momentum and the ball is slowed down, it’s not a tactic to kick for the sake of it.

Our game plan involves moving the point of attack and varying our play a lot more, but it’s a work in progress and we’re still struggling to implement against the better teams, especially with the amount of chopping and changing.

People need to have a bit of patience and stop calling for new coaches literally every 6 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

Murray kicks when we lose momentum and the ball is slowed down, it’s not a tactic to kick for the sake of it.

Our game plan involves moving the point of attack and varying our play a lot more, but it’s a work in progress and we’re still struggling to implement against the better teams, especially with the amount of chopping and changing.

People need to have a bit of patience and stop calling for new coaches literally every 6 months.
                    Exactly, we have no option when our ball carrying is not getting the hard yards. That said I would hope that inside the opponents half, kicking should only be used as a means to varying things to keep defenses guessing.

Comment

Lookit, just cause we have no right to win this game, it doesn't mean that we won't. After the Pool draw, everyone thought this pool would got to the wire IF Munster could be competitive against Sarries and Racing. Over three games we proved we could be. The bind we're in has more to do with the fluffed opportunity for an LBP in the Allianz and a missed DG against Racing than with injuries or feeling sorry for ourselves.

We're in with a shout here and a win would transform us from also rans with real contenders and force Racing to put out a team against Saracens.

It's all on this.
                      Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

Comment

There is nothing wrong with kicking if it done well. Last week against Ulster, early on, Earls stepped out of the 22 and kicked long to an Ulster player. Nothing came of it but Munster had an edge in the line out(rhough to be fair that might not have been know at the start).

Sometime other players are in a better postion to see where to kick than the player with the ball - I wonder if they should have / do communicate clearly where to kick. Murray's style - which used to look like a postive in that he never looked hurried now looks a negative because his overall game is realtively poor - but his kicks to touch - as opposed to his infield kicks - are still very good in terms of distance.

Would love to see the video analysis in relation to Sundays game about what bad (in field) kicking is likely to result in.
                        ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
                        AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

Originally posted by rathbaner View Post

We're in with a shout here and a win would transform us from also rans with real contenders and force Racing to put out a team against Saracens.

It's all on this.
                          Exactly. Other Munster teams have been in similar situations, some even away in France. This team has a chance to add to the great memories we all have of those other victories. I think this is their time.

Comment

Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post
                            There is nothing wrong with kicking if it done well. Last week against Ulster, early on, Earls stepped out of the 22 and kicked long to an Ulster player. Nothing came of it but Munster had an edge in the line out(rhough to be fair that might not have been know at the start).

Sometime other players are in a better postion to see where to kick than the player with the ball - I wonder if they should have / do communicate clearly where to kick. Murray's style - which used to look like a postive in that he never looked hurried now looks a negative because his overall game is realtively poor - but his kicks to touch - as opposed to his infield kicks - are still very good in terms of distance.

Would love to see the video analysis in relation to Sundays game about what bad (in field) kicking is likely to result in.
                            This is true. Hr can get good distance when putting the ball off the pitch. What gets me is that when the box kicking isn't working, and lets face it, it clearly isn't, why persist with it ? If they're going to kick it away, who not ship the ball back to the 10 or to Scannell and let either of them kick it as far as they can down the field and into touch. Munster's lineout defense is pretty good, put pressure on the other team to execute theirs. There is no reason at all to continually give the other team a box kick they can easily field that Munster has almost no hope of recovery b/c the chasers are being shepherded away.

Comment

I got a horrible premonition of Racing breaking 40 points on the scoreboard after listening to the42 rugby weekly podcast

Racing are averaging 16 linebreaks a game

Fingers crossed we can quieten them
                              I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
                                Lookit, just cause we have no right to win this game, it doesn't mean that we won't. After the Pool draw, everyone thought this pool would got to the wire IF Munster could be competitive against Sarries and Racing. Over three games we proved we could be. The bind we're in has more to do with the fluffed opportunity for an LBP in the Allianz and a missed DG against Racing than with injuries or feeling sorry for ourselves.

It's all on this.
                                “Ronan O’Gara RONAN O’GARA

OHHHH WHAT A FINISH!”

Comment

Working...
                                X