Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HEC R5. Racing vs. Munster. Paris. TV Coverage BT Sport. Sunday 12th Jan @3.15pm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post

Ya I agree with a lot of this, and I think we've seen the squad pummeled to a pulp already this season. Internationals went to Japan and came home to take on an enormous Racing team, then Sarries twice, then Leinster - all the while without any great time to implement what (I pray and hope) is a cohesive plan the new lads are demanding.

Its been week to week for the likes of POM and CJ, whereas the guys who got a preseason have looked way way better i.e. Kevin O'Byrne, Jacko, Fineen, Goggin, Daly Haley, etc.

Land the injury crises on top and you're into the doldrums fairly lively, our key playmakers are crocked (Joey and Tyler) some other x factor boys are not looking sharp (Earlsy) yet. Then you've Beirne breaking an ankle, Botha's citing, Killer missing for ages and hes a key ball carrier and on and on and on. We've so few top end players right now its alarming.

Its just been a bit of a balls up for the myriad of reasons you've outlined, and the squad looks tiny all of a sudden. What concerns me most is why fellas are not tearing up trees when the opportunities are afforded them due to injury, the 3 off the top of my head that come to mind: Darren O'Shea, Chris Cloete, Nick Mac. We need the deputies showing reason to persist after the front liners leave for Ireland or Injury.
    Agree with your list of reasons not to be cheerful above, and these are primarily the reason (in answer to BB), that it’s hard to sustain much excitement. A few weeks ago, it was easier, but the loss to Leinster, dismal showing against Ulster and poor form of many we rely on, is just a bit sobering. I’d love us to win on Sunday, but far more than that I want to see us in Cardiff in June, fit players for whom the new style is second nature. Then we’ll see.

Comment

Last season at the start we had 5 out halves on our books. Could do with keatley now.

Comment

Listened to Rog on OTB, his take on the game is not exactly positive.

What stood out:
        • Carbery is a thoroughbred horse and liable to injury that little bit more perhaps due to his fast twitch muscles. Hes that bit more fragile because hes so special. Joe Molloy mentioned Joey has started 4 games in 12 months :(
        • Racing play with pace and width, you kick the ball loosely to their back three and you're under your own posts sooner or later
        • Munster playing a kicking game will not be enough, they will lap it up. Munster have to win collisions - if only to allow the backline and offloading game start to rumble
        • Finn Russell is in the form of his life, they've so many weapons out wide
        • Munster's confidence looks low of late, upheaval, injuries and results are all contributors to this
        It all sounded like we are in for a world of hurt.
        He also said Racings 92 ground is "disco"

Comment

Originally posted by Yatenga View Post

He also said Racings 92 ground is "disco"
          I don't know about disco but it sure won't be full looking at the available seats 4 days from kick-off
          Good things happen to those who wait, though mostly much too late.

Comment

Originally posted by ephileth View Post

I don't know about disco but it sure won't be full looking at the available seats 4 days from kick-off
            Do you think the public transport strike might have something to do with it?

Comment

Originally posted by Chrizzzie View Post
              They had 10k in for the ospreys, way below their capacity. For the sarries game they were still 10k below capacity. I think it’s more a combination of French apathy for European rugby and the stadium being way too big for racing. They wouldn’t even sell out their old, much smaller stadium a few years ago. It seems to me the owners only built it so large to host concerts and the odd French game.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

Agree with your list of reasons not to be cheerful above, and these are primarily the reason (in answer to BB), that it’s hard to sustain much excitement. A few weeks ago, it was easier, but the loss to Leinster, dismal showing against Ulster and poor form of many we rely on, is just a bit sobering. I’d love us to win on Sunday, but far more than that I want to see us in Cardiff in June, fit players for whom the new style is second nature. Then we’ll see.
                We lost to Leinster by a single score, fair play to Leinster they took that try well. We still held them scoreless for the second half. Needed smarter rugby in the first half conditions. Same as Sarries away.

I’m not optimistic for the weekend, but at the back of my mind I still think we aren’t too far from clicking
                "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post

We lost to Leinster by a single score, fair play to Leinster they took that try well. We still held them scoreless for the second half. Needed smarter rugby in the first half conditions. Same as Sarries away.

I’m not optimistic for the weekend, but at the back of my mind I still think we aren’t too far from clicking
                  And the part that sticks out to me? Just as you'd hope the internationals and coaches click this season they'll be separated again for the 6N

I can't tell yet if the early season fireworks from the younger/fringe players was because the opposition were sheete or because they'd a longer period with Larkham

You'd hope it'll even out and look more cohesive again after an insanely tough block of games, but the internationals will vamoose to Dublin before we know it
                  I am the million man.

Comment

And the part that sticks out to me? Just as you'd hope the internationals and coaches click this season they'll be separated again for the 6N

I can't tell yet if the early season fireworks from the younger/fringe players was because the opposition were sheete or because they'd a longer period with Larkham

You'd hope it'll even out and look more cohesive again after an insanely tough block of games, but the internationals will vamoose to Dublin before we know it
                    I think it was a bit of both; I think that having the Ireland guys come back in and seeing a game plan which is alien to them was never going to click right away, and the need to win games with those guys took precedence over having those guys play Larkham's way whatever the results. Much has been made about the Racing draw, but they played pretty well in that one I thought. Russell's try was very lucky; Scannell's leg is a few inches over and the ball is bouncing somewhere other than thru to the try line. Racing had stretches of dominance, but in a tight game, both teams will at some point. They played Saracens a lot tougher than most do at Allianz Park; they lose a few games and all of a sudden they're **** ? I'm not buying that at all. They can win this game.

Comment

Also do not forget that the gameplan of Ireland was pretty much 180 degrees of what Munster is trying to achieve now. For months Joe has drilled the guys and now suddenly the internationals have to play a complete different game. I'm hopeful that Farell has a different gameplan at the 6N which is more in line with Larkham.

Comment

Also do not forget that the gameplan of Ireland was pretty much 180 degrees of what Munster is trying to achieve now. For months Joe has drilled the guys and now suddenly the internationals have to play a complete different game. I'm hopeful that Farell has a different gameplan at the 6N which is more in line with Larkham.
                        I agree with the thrust of this, the expectations of players are radically different. I don’t want to be too geometrical about this, but the vest we can hope for from Farrell is that it’ll be 90 degrees from both - Farrell was appointed as the continuity candidate, and given how successful Joe had been at the time that seemed sensible. I can’t imagine Farrell, will have been developing a radically different game plan for the past six months and not mentioning it to Joe.

Comment

Might, as it could be really disrupted but in fairness if a public transport strike prevents fans from attending a home game, not sure how much of a fan they are (especially as Racing fans do not face such problems as for instance living in Waterford and having to travel to Limerick)
                          Good things happen to those who wait, though mostly much too late.

Comment

100% we are underdogs. When we were in better form 2 years ago we traveled there as underdogs and were happy enough to come away with a losing bonus point. That day we had Keats at 10 and a disinterested Zebo at 15.

Full team: Simon Zebo (Alex Wootton, 73); Andrew Conway, Chris Farrell, Rory Scannell, Keith Earls; Ian Keatley (JJ Hanrahan, 79), Conor Murray; Dave Kilcoyne (James Cronin, 56), Rhys Marshall (Kevin O’Byrne, 75), Stephen Archer (John Ryan, 56); Jean Kleyn, Billy Holland; Peter O’Mahony (C) (Jack O’Donoghue, 55), Chris Cloete, CJ Stander. (Hart was on the bench for Murray but didn't get on the pitch)

I think the team that we'll put out this weekend will be as strong as the one above. We'll given them a rattle, if we come up short the world won't end and it won't mean that the squad is useless or the coaches all need to be sacked as many of the usual suspects would be saying on here (or in some cases have already started before a ball has been kicked) The Ulster game was disappointing. There are some fringe players who are playing themselves out of contract extensions (DOS, Arnold) but there are also some younger players who are starting to come through a show that they can make it (Fineen, Daly, JOS and perhaps even G Coombes at last - maybe Rowntree has gotten through to him)

If we lose marginally we'll be out of Euope through a few fine margins to very good teams (Racing h/a, Sarries away). I'd love to have the time to drag up all of the quotes from August that said we had a group of death and that success this season would be a Pro14 win/final and bringing through a good few of the young lads.

With all that said - I'll be travelling in hope more than expectation this weekend but I won't let that stop me roaring them on for the 80 minutes (especially as the missus mistakenly booked tickets for the middle of the "Ciel et Blanc" section). If I can make it a thoroughly unenjoyable afternoon for a few snarky Parisiens then it'll be a day well spent. SUAF. BELIEVE

Comment

Originally posted by ephileth View Post

Might, as it could be really disrupted but in fairness if a public transport strike prevents fans from attending a home game, not sure how much of a fan they are (especially as Racing fans do not face such problems as for instance living in Waterford and having to travel to Limerick)
                              In fairness neither Waterford nor Limerick nor Tipp town have faced 18 months of intermittent riots. As far as I know the metro line 1 that goes out to the stadium is driverless so that strike won't effect it directly but will effect those who need to use other lines to connect onto it

Comment

Originally posted by AwayFromHome View Post

In fairness neither Waterford nor Limerick nor Tipp town have faced 18 months of intermittent riots. As far as I know the metro line 1 that goes out to the stadium is driverless so that strike won't effect it directly but will effect those who need to use other lines to connect onto it

I have nothing of value to add on the transport issue. I just wanted to preserve in aspic what may be the world's first "Ah, now, Paris would be a fair bit rougher than Limerick like" statement
                                "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Working...
                                X