Earls targets centre this year

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Earls targets centre this year

http://www.limerickpost.ie/index.php...ext-year-you-a re-going-to-see-a-different-me-keith-earls&option=com_co ntent&catid=23:sport&Itemid=34

MUNSTER, Ireland and Lions star Keith Earls spoke to Postsport this week about his return from injury and his ambitions for the new season.
    The 22-year-old speed merchant has been out of action since the end of last season with a groin strain. The rehab of which is proving difficult.

“It is going good. I had a scan on it recently and there is still a small bit of the injury there but it is healing well. Running into the last couple of the Heineken Cup games, I was only doing 20 minutes at training and then, having played the match I would not be able to get out of bed after it. It was so sore. After a couple of days then it would heal again. I had a fitness test before the Irish squad went on tour and it just didn’t feel right. Obviously you want to be 100% going down there. So it was decided I would stay here and rehab”.

So a summer spent in gyms and on physio tables beckoned for the Thomond centre. “I had 12 days in Portugal, lying by the pool, I couldn’t do anything at all so I just lay out and relaxed, It has been a case of minding myself really. It is just all upper body weights and swimming at the moment and some light running. It is nothing too exciting at the moment, but rehab is so important it is all worth it. I cannot wait to get back playing. It is wrecking my head standing on the sidelines and watching the lads training and playing. I have to do what is right for the injury first and then the playing will come”.

In this, a World Cup year, attention is always going to be on the young back’s shoulders. In previous seasons Keith has been picked to play for Ireland and Munster in a variety of positions from full back to centre to wing. This season however, Keith has his eyes on one prize.
    “People in the press have been asking me what position I will be looking for with Ireland now that Luke Fitzgerald is coming back and Andrew Trimble is there too, I have said now that I don’t want to be a winger anymore. I want to play at 12 or 13. Obviously if selected in another position, for Ireland or Munster, I would give my all, but this year I want to play at 12 or 13. I hate the name utility back. You do not want that 22 jersey. I want to lay down my marker this season in the centre”.

Centre is where Keith made his name at schools rugby and where most experts on the game would suggest he is likely to end up. With this year being such a big year and it beginning with injury is there going to be more pressure on the young Limerick man?
    “There is never real pressure from my family and friends or indeed anyone from Munster. I used to think too much about games and stuff before, but I have changed that now. I still pinch myself. I have to get used to it now. I have to believe in myself and stop doubting my own ability. I am a Munster player and I just have to get on with it now. Next year you are going to see a different me. A bit more cocky, but good cocky you know. I need to just enjoy my rugby and the rest will come.”
    Indeed the rest will come. Keith is expected to be a major player once more for Munster and Ireland this year but at the moment, there is no definite return date for the speedster.
    “It is hard to know at the moment when I will return. The Irish and the Munster physios will decide on the best plan for me and we can go from there. I have to do what is right for the injury and see where we are in three weeks. I hope, in three weeks, to start my own full pre season sessions”.
    With such a hectic schedule behind him since his break through
    Seas suas agus troid!

Jeez, imagine how good he'd be if he believed in himself!
    It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyFantastic
      Jeez, imagine how good he'd be if he believed in himself!

I am sure that he believes in his own ability but he just does not want to come across as been too cocky, he is really a modest guy.

Comment

Imagine how good he'll be without a crocked groin more like.

Comment

I remember the try he scored shortly after he broke into the team, when he chipped therough and then toe-tapped te ball up into his own hands. Pure class!!

He has always looked confident in what he could do. I got the impression at times that maybe he has paid opponents and teammates too much respect.

Maybe he is starting to understand that he is abetter playerthan most of them andgrowing more confident in that way.

Comment

Interesting that he mentioned 12 as well as 13. Two very different positions, and 13 is a more obvious overlap with the wing.

It would be interesting to see what he could do at 12, but I think he'd be wasted in all that traffic.
            "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

He has the turn of pace (or better) BOD early in his career and has a great set of skills, would be a total waste at 12, especially with the muck O'Gara likes shovelling to the man on his outside shoulder. He looked threatening last season when he was finally given a shot at 13, you'd hope he'll line outside Tuitupo and thrive in the space he provides. Though i guess at only 85kgs Tuitupo will struggle to do much at all[img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Hope to see him back in a Munster jersey (and Irish) soon rather then later. Reading that interview it would seem that his injury has not cleared up yet.
                Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Originally posted by Red Hand Hero
                  He has the turn of pace (or better) BOD early in his career and has a great set of skills, would be a total waste at 12, especially with the muck O'Gara likes shovelling to the man on his outside shoulder. He looked threatening last season when he was finally given a shot at 13, you'd hope he'll line outside Tuitupo and thrive in the space he provides. Though i guess at only 85kgs Tuitupo will struggle to do much at all[img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]

agree fully thoy Tuitupo might be a li'l over 85 methinks.
                  I believe that all government is evil, and that trying to improve it is largely a waste of time.
                  HL Mencken

Comment

Agree that his talents would be less suited to the clautrophobic confines of 12 and I hope we don't see him there for want of other options. He neither corresponds to the yard making bosh merchant nor has the distribution playmaking skills of a 2nd 5/8. Don't think he'd flourish there even if he if I recall correctly played some churchill cup and underage in that position.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again (like picking Gordon D'Arcy) and expecting different results.
                    Albert Einstein

Comment

I think Earls best position is wing. While he would make a good centre he makes a world class winger. Would rather see him as wing who is given license to come into the centre and make runs with his pace then as a centre with not much time on the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by sunshiner
                        I think Earls best position is wing. While he would make a good centre he makes a world class winger. Would rather see him as wing who is given license to come into the centre and make runs with his pace then as a centre with not much time on the ball.

i'd rather see earls at 13 and 15 before on the wing.

Comment

I think he would be great on the wing or full back.. ONLY if they bring him into the line a lot and use him as another strike runner.. Look at how
                          much Bowe gets involved, and it seems he scores more tries cutting throw the middle then heading down the touch line!

Comment

If you had to choose, what would you rather like to see?

Earls in center and Mafi on the wing?

or

Mafi on the wing and Earls in center?

Comment

Originally posted by Chrizzzie
                              If you had to choose, what would you rather like to see?

Earls in center and Mafi on the wing?

or

Mafi on the wing and Earls in center?</span>
                              Earls in the centre thanks, taking nothing away from Mafi who's been great for us I do think Earls will give us a lot more creativity there

Comment

Working...
                              X