• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ustix View Post
    I'm nearly as excited as I got at the second-half performance in Cardiff
    Del Ira to hear dah.

Comment

Originally posted by mickiemcfist View Post

To be honest, I think he's solid but he's just below players who are significantly below world class.
      Have loads of time for him- and he did a huge job for Munster when we were on our uppers. Alas that may have cost him the chance of developing into a class 10, I think he doesn’t have the stature or speed to be a top class 12.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazyemerald View Post

Chris Cloete debuted in November and is signed until 2022. Arno Botha is off contract next summer so is likely going, which is a shame as he is a great player but we have a lot of options coming though in the back row. I guess next year with Billy finishing up (and hopefully moving into a coaching role assisting Rowntree with the line-out) we might rotate Snyman and Kleyn in the enforcer/tighthead lock role with with Beirne and Fineen alternating as the other more athletic lock which modern rugby demands. It seems like we are putting together a squad to beat Saracens - not a bad strategy. Darren O'Shea (who had a good game at the weekend) will still be needed as both Kleyn and Snyman could potentially be involved in international squads
        Great explanation, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by AwayFromHome View Post
          Players out of contract at the end of this season (to the best of my quick research, apologies for any errors and there are definitely omissions)

- Loughman
          - KOB
          - Parker
          - Scott
          - Archer
          - DOS
          - Billy
          - SOC
          - Botha
          - Oliver
          - Alby and Jed (meant to both be gone at the end of this month - lets see)
          - Goggin
          - Arnold

Most of others have 2 or 3 years left (Cronin x 2, Scans x2, Marshall, J Ryan, Knox, Wych, Beirne, POM, CJ, Cloete, JOD, TOD, Conor, McCarthy, Joey, JJ, Tyler, Farrell, Earls, Sweetnam, Daly, Wootton, Nash)

I didn't see any info quickly on Conway, Killer, Boomer or Haley.
          Some of the ones whose contracts will end this year would definitely be offered new contracts and I hope will re-sign with us.

I hadn't heard (until I read the earlier post) that Botha was interested in returning to SA to challenge for a team spot.

Parker and Scott not getting game time in this phase could be bad news for them. Oliver has been unlucky, but he didn't get much of a lookin in this period, so he may be in the same boat, which is a shame if that's how it works out. He seemed to have the makings of one annoying 7 (for the opposition). The SOC one I really don't get. He seemed to fit in at this level when he played for the first team, I think due to injuries, but has had little opportunity to see if he could replicate or even kick on from those performances.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

Have loads of time for him- and he did a huge job for Munster when we were on our uppers. Alas that may have cost him the chance of developing into a class 10, I think he doesn’t have the stature or speed to be a top class 12.
            Yea same I'm a fan of him & he gives his all, but he's not near a world class 12.

Comment

Two fine additions.

I really find it hard to credit the people who see high quality foreign signings as a negative. Without imports we'd never have won anything. For the indigenous established and up and coming players it's a new challenge to up their game.
              Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
              Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Just in passing....I found the two signings to be a total shock and was prepared for Munster or the players/their agents to "set the record straight"/ruin everything.

But the story broke yesterday and not a whiff of denial from any party.

Comment

RG Snyman is a great signing for Munster, De Allende I'm not sure if he fits the mode of a 12 that would suit the Larkham style of backplay.

Will be interesting to see how many of the younger Munster players (such as Scannell/Goggin) now feel it's better to move on as their options will be limited going forward.

Not sure it's good for Munster in the long run potentially losing their identity for having a majority of local players playing for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post
                    Two fine additions.

I really find it hard to credit the people who see high quality foreign signings as a negative. Without imports we'd never have won anything. For the indigenous established and up and coming players it's a new challenge to up their game.
                    I really don’t think anyone does see the signings as negative- just because people aren’t turning cartwheels without first thinking about what implications such signings have doesn’t mean people are being negative.

Comment

We'd have won nathin without Chris Wyatt
                      When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

I really don’t think anyone does see the signings as negative- just because people aren’t turning cartwheels without first thinking about what implications such signings have doesn’t mean people are being negative.
                        Yep, first implication I thought of was these two horses putting defenders back on their hole and maybe Munster getting into a final next season
                        I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post

Yep, first implication I thought of was these two horses putting defenders back on their hole and maybe Munster getting into a final next season
                          My thoughts were.... Adding two RWC winners to bolster Munster's squad as defending Pro14 and European champions
                          He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

Originally posted by redherring View Post

My thoughts were.... Adding two RWC winners to bolster Munster's squad as defending Pro14 and European champions
                            Now you're on the trolley
                            I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post
                              RG Snyman is a great signing for Munster, De Allende I'm not sure if he fits the mode of a 12 that would suit the Larkham style of backplay.

Will be interesting to see how many of the younger Munster players (such as Scannell/Goggin) now feel it's better to move on as their options will be limited going forward.

Not sure it's good for Munster in the long run potentially losing their identity for having a majority of local players playing for them.
                              Not too worried about our identity as I think we’ll see a gradual decline in overseas players in the coming years as the project player pipeline has been effectively blocked.

Signings like these are the kind the provinces used to aspire to: a couple of top class NIQ players to bolster the squad for a couple of years (think Dougie, Rocky, JdV, BBBT etc.). Happy to see us going back to that, although my preference would have been for Snyman plus a top class 7.

WRT Scannell and Goggin, as of now they’re probably in the mix with Farrell and De Allende. With injuries, international call ups etc. they’ll have plenty of game time.

I could see Arnold moving on, which wouldn’t bother me unduly.

I would be more concerned about how we give Daly, French and their ilk opportunities.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

I would be more concerned about how we give Daly, French and their ilk opportunities.
                                That's going to be an issue with or without these 2 players coming in. As will be seen on Saturday, most of the guys who've been holding the fort and playing well will be jettisoned for the internationals.

Comment

Working...
                                X