P14 R6) Us V Ulster - TP - Saturday @ 5.15 - Eir and Premiersports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sea Horse View Post

Injuries apart, is that the Ulster HEC team? Agree with Lonstonitis that this is a strong team they're sending down.
    Henderson, Coetzee, Burns, Gilroy and Ludik/Addison would come back into the 23 for next week v Bath probably.

Addison very injury prone it seems.
    Last edited by neill_m; 8th-November-2019, 16:58.

Comment

Originally posted by neill_m View Post
      Ulster team to play Munster Rugby, Guinness PRO14 Round 6, Saturday 9 November at Thomond Park (kick-off 5:15pm):

(15-9) Matt Faddes, Rob Lyttle, Luke Marshall, Stuart McCloskey, Jacob Stockdale, Angus Curtis, John Cooney.

(1-8) Jack McGrath, Rob Herring (Capt.), Marty Moore, Alan O’Connor, Sam Carter, Sean Reidy, Jordi Murphy, Nick Timoney.

Replacements: Adam McBurney, Eric O’Sullivan, Tom O’Toole, Kieran Treadwell, Matthew Rea, David Shanahan, Bill Johnston, Robert Baloucoune.

Disappointing that Bill Johnston doesnt start - played well last week.
      ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
      AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

Originally posted by Redcafe1 View Post

To be fair our new coaches have only had 1 week to work with Internationals and Graham R in only in is second week so maybe bit early to have making it a " test" of our new ticket. Come December, we will know how far we have come.
        Sure the internationals are well rested. They haven't played a game of Rugby since 2018.

Comment

Awfull pity we don't get to see Cj and Cotzee going head to head, I'm sure they would have lit the place up.

Comment

Some oversea's fans getting ready for the weekend (nice cup by the way)

https://twitter.com/jacnienaber/stat...207707136?s=12

Comment

In terms of how they're viewed outside of the two provinces, their starting props are probably better regarded than ours, but I don't share that view - Ryan was the one brought to Japan and neither McGrath nor Moore have been at their peak for a while now, plus I reckon Cronin will be out to prove a point. Just hope he keeps some ice in the mind to go with the fire in the belly! Eric O'Sullivan will be a real handful in the scrum, we'll be doing well to deal with him when he comes on. The two starting hookers are now direct competitors for the starting Irish jersey, so it'll be interesting to see how each performs in relation to the other. I think we're stronger there, especially from the bench.

At second row, O'Connor is an honest hard worker but Carter will be a weapon for them. I'd like to think much the same could be said about our pair though! The contest between Wycherley and Treadwell should be worth watching out for later in the game - Fineen has a chance to lay down a marker against a bigger and more experienced competitor. In the back row, we've two lineout receivers, along with plenty of tackling, poaching and carrying ability. Things won't all go our way as Reidy is underrated and Murphy is a strong player, but I think so long as we can keep the penalty count to a minimum we'll have the edge here - especially with both JOD and Botha waiting to be unleashed and Coetzee not featuring for them.

At half back, Cooney is a real danger and Shanahan has a habit of coming on to find gaps in tired defences, while BillJo will relish the chance to outplay his opposite number - I'm more concerned about him than I am about Curtis. That said, all of Alby, JJ and Tyler have been in fine form recently and I think together with our home advantage and frankly our coaching ticket we will have enough to deal with whatever they throw at us and create plenty of problems for them into the bargain.

McCloskey & Marshall vs Scannell & Farrell is very tight, with both of the bigger lads having decent offloading and gainline breaking abilities, while the smaller two kind of cancel each other out - Scannell better at defending and kicking from hand, Marshall a better attacker. Again, I think we'll just about edge it here. While we gain something with the extra back row cover, they outgun us in the back three and we could be vulnerable if e.g. JJ has to be moved to 15 for injury cover, not only against their bigger names in Faddes and Stockdale but also given how easily Lyttle and Balacoune can zip through defences or win the sprint up the tramlines. I just don't know whether Coombes' skill and speed will make up for his lack of experience here, but I'm looking forward to finding out. Gwan Liam!

Overall, I think it'll be more or less even in the scrum, with advantage to us in the lineout and at the breakdown over the course of a hard-fought contest. I'll be happy with a home win without a bonus point, while Ulster should have enough to seriously frighten us and get at least the LBP. Definitely worth the trip.
              Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post
                What’s the story with Earls? I didn’t see him mentioned in any injury briefings?
                I'm not too worried about Earls. He has proven in the past that he can reach his heights without needing gametime.

Also he hasn't had any decent ball since last years' semi final so I'm sure he's ready to go next week. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Crazyemerald View Post
                  Some oversea's fans getting ready for the weekend (nice cup by the way)

https://twitter.com/jacnienaber/stat...207707136?s=12
                  That made my day!

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post

Sure the internationals are well rested. They haven't played a game of Rugby since 2018.
                    So well used to the new type of game we are looking to play too then ?

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

All of the guys Joe took a gamble on never managed to deliver. He made some bad bets on the men he was comfortable with, and he made them because he was afraid of using the alternatives. He was afraid of using the alternatives because he is a risk-averse control freak who struggles to adapt when things don’t go to plan. Happened at the last RWC, happened at this one.

He’s an excellent technical coach but that flaw is what separates him from the top tier.
                      As bad as that is, I can see why he did it, but to have guys who are actually injured and saying "yeah, well, he's my guy" is the thing that is really upsetting. No other coach would have had Joey Carbery in the squad after that injury; the kid is lucky he didn't get that ankle rolled on and had it turn into something far worse.

Comment

It will be interesting to see how accurate the returning international forwards are with their passing / offloading skills. They haven't done much of it lately, and Munster have been using both skills to great effect over the first part of the season. Should be a good game, as should the one in Galway later on.

Comment

Originally posted by Finnegan79 View Post
                          It will be interesting to see how accurate the returning international forwards are with their passing / offloading skills. They haven't done much of it lately, and Munster have been using both skills to great effect over the first part of the season. Should be a good game, as should the one in Galway later on.
                          Let the de-programming begin!

Comment

Nice one Chips...
                            He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Surprised so many players from the RWC especially POM/CJ are picked for this game

Comment

Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post
                                Surprised so many players from the RWC especially POM/CJ are picked for this game
                                Not much time to get the “system” out of their heads before the HEC starts. Need to give them a run out ASAP.

Comment

Working...
                                X