P14 R6) Us V Ulster - TP - Saturday @ 5.15 - Eir and Premiersports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mickiemcfist View Post
    Any thoughts on the match lads? Can we send the redundant law interpretation arguments to the laws thread?
    Yea. The ref was ****e

Comment

Originally posted by mickiemcfist View Post
      Any thoughts on the match lads? Can we send the redundant law interpretation arguments to the laws thread?
      Best (official) attendance of the Pro14 so far this season, great to see Munster supporters out backing their team...

plus great to see new supporters, like the 10 US female exchange students, who were enjoying the ability to buy & drink beer legally a bit too much.. still they got a good numbe rof selfies, even if they left 20 mins before the end.
      Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
        In terms of how they're viewed outside of the two provinces, their starting props are probably better regarded than ours, but I don't share that view - Ryan was the one brought to Japan and neither McGrath nor Moore have been at their peak for a while now, plus I reckon Cronin will be out to prove a point. Just hope he keeps some ice in the mind to go with the fire in the belly! Eric O'Sullivan will be a real handful in the scrum, we'll be doing well to deal with him when he comes on. The two starting hookers are now direct competitors for the starting Irish jersey, so it'll be interesting to see how each performs in relation to the other. I think we're stronger there, especially from the bench.

At second row, O'Connor is an honest hard worker but Carter will be a weapon for them. I'd like to think much the same could be said about our pair though! The contest between Wycherley and Treadwell should be worth watching out for later in the game - Fineen has a chance to lay down a marker against a bigger and more experienced competitor. In the back row, we've two lineout receivers, along with plenty of tackling, poaching and carrying ability. Things won't all go our way as Reidy is underrated and Murphy is a strong player, but I think so long as we can keep the penalty count to a minimum we'll have the edge here - especially with both JOD and Botha waiting to be unleashed and Coetzee not featuring for them.

At half back, Cooney is a real danger and Shanahan has a habit of coming on to find gaps in tired defences, while BillJo will relish the chance to outplay his opposite number - I'm more concerned about him than I am about Curtis. That said, all of Alby, JJ and Tyler have been in fine form recently and I think together with our home advantage and frankly our coaching ticket we will have enough to deal with whatever they throw at us and create plenty of problems for them into the bargain.

McCloskey & Marshall vs Scannell & Farrell is very tight, with both of the bigger lads having decent offloading and gainline breaking abilities, while the smaller two kind of cancel each other out - Scannell better at defending and kicking from hand, Marshall a better attacker. Again, I think we'll just about edge it here. While we gain something with the extra back row cover, they outgun us in the back three and we could be vulnerable if e.g. JJ has to be moved to 15 for injury cover, not only against their bigger names in Faddes and Stockdale but also given how easily Lyttle and Balacoune can zip through defences or win the sprint up the tramlines. I just don't know whether Coombes' skill and speed will make up for his lack of experience here, but I'm looking forward to finding out. Gwan Liam!

Overall, I think it'll be more or less even in the scrum, with advantage to us in the lineout and at the breakdown over the course of a hard-fought contest. I'll be happy with a home win without a bonus point, while Ulster should have enough to seriously frighten us and get at least the LBP. Definitely worth the trip.
        Don't think I was too far out. Surprised McFarland didn't make full use of his bench - especially Shanahan and Johnston, who could have hurt us had he introduced them with 20 to go - and I have to say that from that game and every other one I've seen him in to date, Faddes hasn't shown himself to be as useful a player for them as Piutau could be, when he bothered his hole. Thought Coombes went well, one KO aside - certainly brought more to the game than Stockdale did. We struggled a couple of times with their scrum early on but got a handle on it as the game progressed. Rory Scannell did better than I expected him to in attack, while Farrell was a bit less visible than I expected him to be. Our attacking gameplan was disrupted following the injury to JJ, just at a point where we looked like putting them under serious pressure, and we took a while to readjust - too long. Between that and our inability to keep the penalty count low (thanks partly to an uneven performance from Frank, from whom I genuinely expected better), I understand the decision late on to try and secure the result ahead of trying to get the TBP.

Job done, next up is the start of the European campaign. Hope JJ isn't too badly hurt - we really need him.
        Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Now we know why they were so fired up.

likewise centre Luke Marshall, who went further and commented on how this team has used the criticism of being considered soft from Bill Johnston’s experience with Munster and used it to spur themselves on.

https://www.the42.ie/john-cooney-obs...19668-Dec2019/

Comment

Working...
          X