P14 R6) Us V Ulster - TP - Saturday @ 5.15 - Eir and Premiersports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

Don’t think I’m shutting down the debate by disagreeing with you OL. I j don’t agree with your assertion that offside is immaterial unless it has a direct impact on play (at least, that’s how I’m interpreting your position).

Besides, there was a lot more to Murphy’s poor performance last night than the offside issue. He seemed very quick to penalise Munster while allowing Ulster a lot of leeway. When Ferris is saying Munster were hard done by, you know things are a bit skewed.

Dunno if Frank is over compensating or what but he was very one-eyed. How often do you see the side on top have such a high penalty count against them?
    I'm just going on what's been said by refs at higher levels and by what they do in games. There is comments everywhere during/after games week in week out complaining about refs in peo games ignoring offisde. Its same thing all the time. If it was necessary for changes then we would have world rugby directives etc about it.
    perhaps Frank was being harsher on Munster. Dont think it affected result and perhaps he shouldnt have been in middle as former Munster player but you can often see games where team who wins has higher penalty count. Can certainly remember quite a few occasions it happens.not regular occurrence but not that extraordinary either

Comment

OL, are you saying that a player standing beside a ruck, well in front of his teammates' back feet, having been told to stand there by his Scrum Half so as to stop the opposition blocking an imminent Box Kick, is immaterial?

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
        why bother discuss refs here then. I do defend them and get unfair criticism for doing it but only do because of all the one eyed bull spread by far too many here on refs and their decisions. Every game is the same with offside. Every ref. No reffing team between ref and assistants will pull offisdes like ye here want because majority are not material, necessary because not going to impact ball/ball carrier.
        offsides are not always material.
        I have watched game back now. Was there one or two offisdes that could have been penalised. Yes. But from the ****e talk here you would think every tackle/ruck had players miles offisde. When they didn't

I don't think it's one eyed, and the fact it's universal doesn't ease people's concerns. There's clearly a gap between what fans want and what World Rugby choose to enforce. We want straight put ins at scrums, passes that go backwards, and defensive lines behind the back foot.

"We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post

I don't think it's one eyed, and the fact it's universal doesn't ease people's concerns. There's clearly a gap between what fans want and what World Rugby choose to enforce. We want straight put ins at scrums, passes that go backwards, and defensive lines behind the back foot.
          this is now moving towards discussion better suited for laws thread. The game is fluid, so much going on
          you either have to accept things will be missed or go full whack and be like American Football with 4 hour long games and all that with other officials calling every single thing they see as in infringement and refs penalizing infringing players. The sport has always been about playing/pulling the officials. TV coverage has improved so much that people will see things they didn't before.

I think it very much is one eyed. That's natural on a team forum like here though. Looking for straight put ins at scrum.... it isnt going to happen. 9s will always favour their own side and laws were changed to take this into account.

Comment

they're not. Refs, ars see those offside. Maybe considering all what's going on they're getting it right as its same pretty much everywhere?
            They are - see how that’s done?

Last edited by Oldschoolsocks; 10-November-2019, 16:05.
            Only fools and drunks argue over everything. If you don’t have a hangover the next day you’re not the drunk...

Comment

if you went out in the morning with that attitude to ref a game you would have hundreds of penalties and piss every single playerz coach and spectator off.
              every offside is far from material. If you want that strict a ref then you dont have a contest you have a **** fest.
              That’s a cop out - you adapt your game to the ref if he/she is pinging for offside you stay onside. Simples
              Only fools and drunks argue over everything. If you don’t have a hangover the next day you’re not the drunk...

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post

I'd settle for the general feeling the standard of refereeing was improving, what we have right now is the opposite
                I am the million man.

Comment

It will take a lot of explaining to me as to why a Corkman and former player was reffing Munster at home and why a leinsterman was reffing In Connacht the night before.

Im not questioning their impartiality or suggesting they did anything untoward, but it seems that Murphy should have been in Galway Friday night and the Leinster man in Thomond Park.

Comment

this is now moving towards discussion better suited for laws thread. The game is fluid, so much going on
                    you either have to accept things will be missed or go full whack and be like American Football with 4 hour long games and all that with other officials calling every single thing they see as in infringement and refs penalizing infringing players. The sport has always been about playing/pulling the officials. TV coverage has improved so much that people will see things they didn't before.

I think it very much is one eyed. That's natural on a team forum like here though. Looking for straight put ins at scrum.... it isnt going to happen. 9s will always favour their own side and laws were changed to take this into account.

OL I was at the match. Didn't need a TV or slo-mo to see how far Ulster were offiside at times. The McCloskey intercept being a perfect example as i referenced earlier.

We were shouting at the AR's all match as it was clear they were ignoring it.
                    Life is good

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post
                      It will take a lot of explaining to me as to why a Corkman and former player was reffing Munster at home and why a leinsterman was reffing In Connacht the night before.

Im not questioning their impartiality or suggesting they did anything untoward, but it seems that Murphy should have been in Galway Friday night and the Leinster man in Thomond Park.
                      Frank played 104 times for Connacht, and 15 for Munster.

I am the million man.

Comment

if it was that simple then why do refs at all levels not do it? It's the same with tackle/ruck. If not material. Dont penalise.
                        weakness of character

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post

That’s a bit of explaining done, but still should have been changed I think, . In fairness we got away without suffering lacey for long enough, we might have to endure murphy from time to time.

Comment

Did they actually change the law on crooked feeds? I thought they just stopped enforcing it (unless you are playing Japan in Japan and they need a BP)

Comment

Originally posted by Yatenga View Post

Did they actually change the law on crooked feeds? I thought they just stopped enforcing it (unless you are playing Japan in Japan and they need a BP)
                              the law says ball must be put in straight but that the person putting ball in can start from middle point and align their shoulder so they are more on their own side therefore more likely to win possession.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post

Offside there Lawrence
                                \"Only Pienaar, Botha and Ferris would be in contention for a place on our first 15. That\'s a fact.\" - Tickettout\'s take on Ulster April 2011.

Comment

Working...
                                X