Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Talking Sense View Post
    It did me good to see Conor Murray running with the ball in his hands
    He only begged for one penalty, right after he came on, then he got on with it and delivered quick ball for the most part, great to see. He knows his spot is under threat these days.

Comment

Originally posted by FORWARD.... View Post

Agree with lots of that, excepting the enjoyable bit.
      But where was the TMO for THE late tackle Conway by Stockdale- who knew exactly what he was doing? It was directly below me.
      And where was the TMO for the late hit on JJ.
      Was there a TMO at all?

I can't understand not going for the line with that final penalty, We should have backed ourselves.
      It was an arguable call, I thought we would go to the corner figuring even if we didnt score from the lineout Ulster would find it hard to get the ball back and cover the length of the field to win. But he backed himself to kick it and almost made it - no arguments here

Comment

Perfect pre HEC game. Ugly win, but a win is a win, and nobody will lose the run of themselves after that one. Penalty count a big concern, as is JJs injury. Stander, POM, Conway, Murray all look like they will be up for next weekend. Rowntree will enjoy next week with the scrum

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
          this comes up game after game on forums yet doesnt change. How much of the offisdes are actually material so warrant officials doing something about them?

In a defensive back line, any offside facing into the 10/12/13 channel is material. It affects the decision making of the attacking team. Only a few years ago they changed the scrum laws to create more space for attackers, and for some reason at about the same time stopped policing the encroachment of defensive lines totally.
          "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Yatenga View Post

It was an arguable call, I thought we would go to the corner figuring even if we didnt score from the lineout Ulster would find it hard to get the ball back and cover the length of the field to win. But he backed himself to kick it and almost made it - no arguments here
            thought we should have gone for corner for the same reason you pointed out.

Comment

I wonder if it would be a good idea to start Rory at 10 next week? No offence to Ospreys (who might have their internationals back?) but it might be our only chance to try this option. I would put Chris Farrell at 12 where he went very well in an Irish shirt and Dan Goggins at 13. Dan has played well but also has a very good rapport with Haley in the first 5 games of the season - how many times did they link up around tries? Conway and Daly on the wings (not sure if Keith is 100% yet)

Comment

Originally posted by Crazyemerald View Post
                I wonder if it would be a good idea to start Rory at 10 next week? No offence to Ospreys (who might have their internationals back?) but it might be our only chance to try this option. I would put Chris Farrell at 12 where he went very well in an Irish shirt and Dan Goggins at 13. Dan has played well but also has a very good rapport with Haley in the first 5 games of the season - how many times did they link up around tries? Conway and Daly on the wings (not sure if Keith is 100% yet)

It's an odd spot we're in I think. Johnston had to head off to Ulster to get a game, but now if Carbery is out long term we're sweating on anything happening to JJ or Tyler.

That said, if Carbery is out for the foreseeable, I think at this stage you have to let JJ and Tyler at it and let one of them pin down the starting slot. We don't have much time to sort a functioning and stable midfield heading into the Heineken.

In either instance, I think Scannell as a kicking option takes some pressure off either fly half, which leaves him the default 12 option for me.

Once Carbery is back, or JJ or Tyler have really hit their stride, Farrell at 12 is an interesting experiment. Can't help but feel he causes more chaos in the 13 channel though.
                "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
                  if you went out in the morning with that attitude to ref a game you would have hundreds of penalties and piss every single playerz coach and spectator off.
                  every offside is far from material. If you want that strict a ref then you dont have a contest you have a **** fest.
                  Perhaps in the amateur game but these pros cover a lot more ground a lot quicker IMO

Ping them off the field, if the call is a joke then let the much vaunted TMO interject
                  I am the million man.

Comment

Give the ball to Rory
                    I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by RED 49 View Post

6 points up kick pen and win the game , it was correct decision for me.
                      he missed and we nearly paid the price with the missed interception
                      It was a good attempt, but I thought at the time, and still believe it was wrong not to go for the corner. It was a very missable kick, on the edge of his range. Our line out was working well, so would probably have retained possession, in the three remaining minutes a maul, and few phases would have run the clock down even if we hadn’t got the bonus point. Unless we conceded a penalty (admittedly Murphy could have pinged us), they had to play the ball back from where they had to anyway when the kick missed, and presumably with no more than a minute on the clock. Even if he had got the pen, the time taken for the kick off etc would have ruled out getting a BP.

Comment

Originally posted by Stringer9 View Post
                        It was always going to be a bit disjointed with the returning internationals.
                        JJ injury is the biggest concern. This is the best I’ve seen JJ in a long time, but at the same time TB was very poor today. It’s sickening that he’s picked up an injury, playing like that challenges for the starting position even with a fit Carbery. We are so short in 10’s at the minute, if JJ is out it forces decisions elsewhere. Scannell, you imagine will start at 12 next week. There was a question of who starts between Goggin/Farrell and Scannell but the injury to JJ most likely answers that question. TB was poor today but Scannell was excellent, and was able to pretty much take TB out of the game. This new style just doesn’t really suit TB, it’s like everything is a second or two too quick for him, but he needs to up his game Big time for next week, but please God JJ is ok.

I thought Rory Scannell and Conway were the standout backs, N Scannell and Ryan were good, the backrow was good. I know R Scannell got MOTM but Conway today was just a master class. Nothing new there, it’s madness that he wasn’t picked to start at the WC. He is clutch under pressure. Like Earls, he just turns up and does exactly what’s needed at the right time. Outstanding, at this point he has to be one of the first name on the team sheet.

It wasn’t a great performance but we got the result, it’s was freezing cold and just not a good night for rugby, it had been wet, the ground and ball was greasy, one of those nights that you’re just waiting for the final whistle. They’ll have a lot of work to do before next week with getting the internationals up to speed with the new plays. When you think about it they’ve only been working with them since Monday which is no time at all really. Hopefully they’ll be much more up to speed by next week and fingers crossed we get good news on the injury front.
                        Agree about JJ- this is as consistently good as he has been. It was ironic that his best break for ages was followed so quickly by injury. Really really tough for the guy. JVG in RTÉ interview was a bit more hopeful.

i don’t agree about TB, the awful pass at the end aside, I though he had a solid game, and plays the new systems well. I’d have no problem with him starting next week. If Jj is out, I’d have Goggin on the bench, with a view to Rory moving inside if that became necessary. Putting Ben in the bench for his first senior game of get season, away in the JCup, is too much to ask- I think.

Alby looked to have injured his leg before he went off- he would be a big loss next week. Scannell/ Farrell will surely start next week, although I thought Farrell was quiet (nice hands for the scannell try). Keith the only back three change.

Cloete had a busy game, but picked up a knock- haven’t seen him and POM switching the sides they pack down on as often as they did yesterday. Great to see finer and Jacko come on, only question for me for next weeks scrum is Beirne for Billy (not that he let us down yesterday, or would next week).

Comment

Perfect pre HEC game. Ugly win, but a win is a win, and nobody will lose the run of themselves after that one. Penalty count a big concern, as is JJs injury. Stander, POM, Conway, Murray all look like they will be up for next weekend. Rowntree will enjoy next week with the scrum
                          Watching the replay on TG4 last night after I got back from the match, I though penalty count against us was a joke. At least 2 pens that' weren't pens and they were illegal for all three of their scrum pens. And as for the pens we didn't get.......

Murphy was just awful.

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                            I was at Thomond tonight and firstly it was strange to hear the Cavan choir singing SUAF
                            A nice touch. They were fine singers. Should we send the Munster Choir to Kingspan

Comment

Originally posted by munstershane View Post

No if you lay the law down early and let every player know that you are willing to ping offside all game they will soon take a step back and cop on to themselves and you wont have to give many more sanctions for the same offence.
                              if it was that simple then why do refs at all levels not do it? It's the same with tackle/ruck. If not material. Dont penalise.

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                                I was at Thomond tonight and firstly it was strange to hear the Cavan choir singing SUAF
                                Plenty of Munster supporters in Cavan popeye. I'd have met a few from the choir at our matches over the years.
                                "Fineen Wycherley was everywhere. When I watched this video back late on Saturday night I half expected to look up from my laptop to find him in my kitchen ' TRK Nov 3rd 2019 following Cardiff v Munster

Comment

Working...
                                X