Europe 2019/20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lawrence View Post

Be nice to see Munster do what Ireland couldn’t.
    Be nice too to see some more of what Japan do
    Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by ustix View Post

Be nice too to see some more of what Japan do
      They wouldn’t be let.

Comment

Interesting the way Paddy Power has shortened the odds (before a game is played) for Munster in this years Heineken Champions Cup. Odds to top Group 4 shortened from 7/1 to 3/1 and to win the Cup back from 25/1 to 20/1. Obviously, the carry on at Sarries plus our recent good form the major reasons. I could 'cash out' now at a profit but my optimism is only heightened!

Comment

On another note, isn't it sad to see that of the last 10 European Cups - 6 have been purchased by financial & commercially driven so called 'Clubs'. 3 by Toulon & 3 by Saracens.

Comment

Originally posted by Soda Bread View Post
            On another note, isn't it sad to see that of the last 10 European Cups - 6 have been purchased by financial & commercially driven so called 'Clubs'. 3 by Toulon & 3 by Saracens.
            True. The French clubs will still be in a position to pour money in (if interested) to win the European Cup, whereas with the salary cap being enforced, it looks like the English clubs will no longer have that financial competitive advantage. No other English club will try to copy what Saracens have done, given the likely fallout.

Hard to see an English winner in the competition as things stand...if you look beyond Saracens' financially doped performance, who else
            from England
            came close to winning
            the European Cup
            ? Northampton did, at their peak 9-10 years ago, but that was a less competitive version of the Cup (to my mind at least).

Comment

With the final in France this year I can see a French winner, and on last years form Toulouse would have to be considered.

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post
                With the final in France this year I can see a French winner, and on last years form Toulouse would have to be considered.
                You could be right. And right about Toulouse winning it too, though with the French teams the Top 14 is a big priority, so if they are not going well in the league, their interest in Europe may drop off.

This used to be sarcastically called the Nigels Cup on this Forum, partly because the format was rejigged to suit the English (and French) sugar daddies. The drive to change seemed to be mainly from the English sugar daddies. Ironic that one of the English Sugar Daddies has messed up so badly, that the rich French clubs are in pole position (to my mind) and the English clubs far behind. That would change if the salary cap were raised or removed, but then every English club makes a huge loss.

Comment

Originally posted by Soda Bread View Post
                  Interesting the way Paddy Power has shortened the odds (before a game is played) for Munster in this years Heineken Champions Cup. Odds to top Group 4 shortened from 7/1 to 3/1 and to win the Cup back from 25/1 to 20/1. Obviously, the carry on at Sarries plus our recent good form the major reasons. I could 'cash out' now at a profit but my optimism is only heightened!
                  That is interesting. What are the odds for Saracens or Racing to top the group now? That's a big drop for Munster.

Comment

Saracens are still at 3-1 to win the competition outright. And at 8/11 to win our pool.

PP odds setters aren't fools, so they seem to be saying there will be little or no disruption to Saracens in Europe.

Comment

Sorry, meant to add that we're 9/4 to win our pool

Comment

Early days yet in the Top14, but Racing 92 are second last on 13 points, 4 points ahead of Stade Francais who the play next (in Stade). Stade's points difference is -133, whereas Racing's is a much healthier +7.

Comment

Sarries are a proud club that feed off a sense of bitterness and a **** them if they dont like us attitude. Easy to see this hardening their resolve to win the HEC once they ensure enough points to stay up in the Premiership (may not be easy I know). So assuming that this will not impact the current squad, and current "investments" I could see this motivating them and if anything being harder to beat. Next year might be a different story as they find it harder to retain the current big earners and sign new players.

Comment

Originally posted by Yatenga View Post
                            Sarries are a proud club that feed off a sense of bitterness and a **** them if they dont like us attitude. Easy to see this hardening their resolve to win the HEC once they ensure enough points to stay up in the Premiership (may not be easy I know). So assuming that this will not impact the current squad, and current "investments" I could see this motivating them and if anything being harder to beat. Next year might be a different story as they find it harder to retain the current big earners and sign new players.
                            If they don't cut salaries/players this season, then they'll be in line for another (smaller) fine and points deduction again next season. I can't see how this won't affect their current squad.

Comment

Originally posted by Wallyman View Post

If they don't cut salaries/players this season, then they'll be in line for another (smaller) fine and points deduction again next season. I can't see how this won't affect their current squad.
                              I havent read the ruling but as i understand it it wasnt about salaries it was about the co-investments that ERL said should be counted as salary. But moving forward if you own a company that say Sarries kicked in half the capital to set up or acquire, how will that be counted as salary in this or future years? Signing new players will be much harder as presumably you cant offer them those kind of sweetheart deals anymore but I dont know how it will impact their current set up

Comment

Originally posted by Yatenga View Post
                                That attitude is for the players and hard core fans- not unlike ourselves perhaps. however I wonder whether the success groupie fans that are attracted to any winning team/sport won’t like the cheating adjective, and the REC final defeat will also tarnish the Sarries brand in their eyes. Could be slim pickings financially this season.

Comment

Working...
                                X