X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wallyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Yatenga View Post

So far its Stephen Jones vs the rest of English rugby in terms of support for Sarries......am actually surprised at how outspoken some of the critics have been (Robshaw, Exeter etc)
    There's been rumblings and mutterings about it for a few years now, but I suppose most who were involved with rugby couldn't say anything before there was any proof. They're all getting a lot of built up frustration off their chests now. Ryan Walkinshaw though was able to be very vocal about it over the last few months as he's no longer involved in Gloucester.

Leave a comment:

• Yatenga
    replied
    Originally posted by Finnegan79 View Post

I think that there are strong suspicions among the other clubs, but to my knowledge, no other club owner / chairman, DOR, etc. has come straight out and said "yeah, of course Saracens are the top team, they buy whoever they want with zero regards to the salary cap, that's why they have a starting XV which is essentially a test side." If it is in writing, after an investigation into the matter, i have a feeling that the clubs will demand some action be taken. As for sympathy had they won, I don't know, probably some, but I think there would still be demands to get them back into line b/c you can't have the league be a one horse race every season. As it is, Exeter have been the only legitimate challengers to them for the last several years. That has to rankle some of the other club owners.
    So far its Stephen Jones vs the rest of English rugby in terms of support for Sarries......am actually surprised at how outspoken some of the critics have been (Robshaw, Exeter etc)

Leave a comment:

• Finnegan79
    replied
    Originally posted by lawrence View Post

isn’t it just generally accepted that they have been gaming the system, it’s just waiting for it to be seen in writing???

I wonder had england won the WC would there have been sympathy towards sarries? They would have been the club that gave the most players to the English team, and allowed the core of that team to play together over the last few seasons.
    I think that there are strong suspicions among the other clubs, but to my knowledge, no other club owner / chairman, DOR, etc. has come straight out and said "yeah, of course Saracens are the top team, they buy whoever they want with zero regards to the salary cap, that's why they have a starting XV which is essentially a test side." If it is in writing, after an investigation into the matter, i have a feeling that the clubs will demand some action be taken. As for sympathy had they won, I don't know, probably some, but I think there would still be demands to get them back into line b/c you can't have the league be a one horse race every season. As it is, Exeter have been the only legitimate challengers to them for the last several years. That has to rankle some of the other club owners.

Leave a comment:

• Waterfordlad
    replied
    Originally posted by Yatenga View Post

I dont envy the coaching ticket the job of figuring out selection for the EC games and by extension the Ulster game
    Presumably, they will want to start as many as possible v Ulster to at least allow them to put a hands up for selection.
    Great problem for the coaches to have. We need a stack of cover and talent right across all positions. Happy days

Leave a comment:

• Wallyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Sea Horse View Post
    The Back Row is shaping up for a tricky selection battle. Wonder if Beirne is now a lock, to fight it out with Fineen and Kleyn and Billy? Even then the Backrow is one of those x into three doesn't go problems from primary school (find x!).
    Well seeing as he's yet to start anywhere other than second row for Munster, I'd say he's been a lock for quite a while.

Leave a comment:

• Yatenga
    replied

With the big uncertainty being the reintegration of the 12 apostles!
    I dont envy the coaching ticket the job of figuring out selection for the EC games and by extension the Ulster game
    Presumably, they will want to start as many as possible v Ulster to at least allow them to put a hands up for selection.

Leave a comment:

• lawrence
    replied
    Originally posted by blackwarrior View Post

I hate seeing statements like this one, but Ospreys are unlikely to be full strength due to the RWC campaign. Simon Thomas has estimated that Wales front liners Alun Wyn Jones, Justin Tipuric and Owen Watkin won't figure, and Thomas estimates when the other Welsh players will return to club action here:
    It’s probably a bit cocky alright, but if we can’t go to Swansea and get a result with the condition of both teams then we have no business travelling to Paris or London.

The fixtures have fallen very nicely for us once we take advantage of it.

Leave a comment:

• blackwarrior
    replied
    Originally posted by lawrence View Post
    From this performance and the ospreys one against the Westies it’s hard to see us not getting a very good start in Europe over there.
    I hate seeing statements like this one, but Ospreys are unlikely to be full strength due to the RWC campaign. Simon Thomas has estimated that Wales front liners Alun Wyn Jones, Justin Tipuric and Owen Watkin won't figure, and Thomas estimates when the other Welsh players will return to club action here:

Leave a comment:

• lawrence
    replied
    Originally posted by Finnegan79 View Post

That story is being slow-walked in a way I've never seen for one with the possible implications if Saracens have indeed broken the rules. If Slade doesn't hit that miracle touch finder Saracens would probably have won that league 3 times in a row, and if it comes out that they've been gaming the system to assemble a team loaded with internationals from England and other nations and running rampant all over the Premiership and HC, other teams will be furious and rightly so. Everything they've done in the past 3-4 years would be called into question b/c they've been playing with a stacked deck they couldn't obtain within the rules.

isn’t it just generally accepted that they have been gaming the system, it’s just waiting for it to be seen in writing???

I wonder had england won the WC would there have been sympathy towards sarries? They would have been the club that gave the most players to the English team, and allowed the core of that team to play together over the last few seasons.

Leave a comment:

• Surveyor
    replied
    Great win and lots of good performances. For me KOB stood out, some great runs and an outrageous dummy on one, lucky for him Joe is gone or his international career would be over allready, you cant have hookers running around throwing dummies.

Leave a comment:

• LeakyBoots
    replied
    Very happy with that win and how the early part of the season is going, albeit with a caveat of standard of opposition. Early signs under Larkham are very good

Leave a comment:

• Finnegan79
    replied
    Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

Not to mention the salary cap announcement...if that hasn’t been buried.
    That story is being slow-walked in a way I've never seen for one with the possible implications if Saracens have indeed broken the rules. If Slade doesn't hit that miracle touch finder Saracens would probably have won that league 3 times in a row, and if it comes out that they've been gaming the system to assemble a team loaded with internationals from England and other nations and running rampant all over the Premiership and HC, other teams will be furious and rightly so. Everything they've done in the past 3-4 years would be called into question b/c they've been playing with a stacked deck they couldn't obtain within the rules.

Leave a comment:

• Sea Horse
    replied
    The Back Row is shaping up for a tricky selection battle. Wonder if Beirne is now a lock, to fight it out with Fineen and Kleyn and Billy? Even then the Backrow is one of those x into three doesn't go problems from primary school (find x!).

Leave a comment:

• lawrence
    replied

Hopefully JVG can knock the nonsense out of them quick fast.

Leave a comment:

• Sea Horse
    replied
    Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post
    Actually shapes up quite nicely for us, we really should win handily in Swansea, and with Racing coming to us next, we could be in a position to knock them out- or, give ourselves a handy lead at the top of the table, heading into the head to head games.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X