• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reded View Post
    Well played cheetahs
    Watched Leinster V Edin.
    We appear to be way off the Pace again. No silverware again this year,
    Think we need need a smaller high quality player pool, accepting that injuries will ruin many seasons but ‘illegal ‘ medical jokers could make us Competitive.
    Otherwise we are Leinster B plus our academy players. Previously this could have been competitive, but the playoff format means this strategy is doomed to failure.
    There is absolutely no comparison to be made between those opponents.

The Cheetahs were at full strength, at home, at altitude. Edinburgh were, like the rest of us, missing a rake of players and were playing Leinster in Dublin.

The Cheetahs at full strength are also better team than Edinburgh at full strength.

We’ve a pretty solid squad this season and there is absolutely nothing to panic about on the basis of that performance. The previous two games were a far better indicator.

Comment

I have to say, I think we needed Larkham to see us in a game like this where we struggled behind the scrum. At one stage the SA commentator made the point that the longer we held onto the ball the less likely we looked like scoring and to be honest I thought he was right. I'd love to see us start an out and out 13 and not guys who fill in or are part time outside centres. I think it's limiting us. I'd love to see McHenry or young French given a run there to see what they can do. It's early days I know but we can't seem to get on the outside regularly and really tear up a team out wide. Larkham would have seen yesterday the more limited side of our game and can make the necessary adjustments/changes needed or get guys working on what needs to be done.

Comment

Ruan Pineaar, at 35, is still some player (and on call for RWC). Completely dominated McCarthy, who, for me didn’t look anything special in that sort of company at least. I’d like to see Casey have a chance before too long.

At 10, for me the saga goes on, TB had a good game in the circumstances- brings a lot of poise and calm to the position. Fantastic to see him (what looks like) fully fit. JJ did as much as he could when he came on, more of a bustle about him, but so far this year playing steadier. Can either oust joey? Who will be number 2? Intriguing.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonyl View Post
          I have to say, I think we needed Larkham to see us in a game like this where we struggled behind the scrum. At one stage the SA commentator made the point that the longer we held onto the ball the less likely we looked like scoring and to be honest I thought he was right. I'd love to see us start an out and out 13 and not guys who fill in or are part time outside centres. I think it's limiting us. I'd love to see McHenry or young French given a run there to see what they can do. It's early days I know but we can't seem to get on the outside regularly and really tear up a team out wide. Larkham would have seen yesterday the more limited side of our game and can make the necessary adjustments/changes needed or get guys working on what needs to be done.
          Well, Farrell is obviously our usual starter at 13 when he’s fit and available, and he’s very capable of beating lads when he gets decent ball.

That said, he could also move in to 12, which would leave room for Daly to play in his preferred position. That could be an interesting combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

Well, Farrell is obviously our usual starter at 13 when he’s fit and available, and he’s very capable of beating lads when he gets decent ball.

That said, he could also move in to 12, which would leave room for Daly to play in his preferred position. That could be an interesting combo.
            I think Farrell to 12 is a very interesting possibility, with daly outside, Earls, Haley and Conway has a lot to recommend it. Nothing against Scannell as a player, jut I think Farrell, or indeed TB might have more to offer at 12.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

We were certainly shown to be wanting- I too was very positive about the pack we put on the pitch, and I’d be happy to see the same lads start the next game. Those conditions were very tough- the effort required was very evident on their faces too, but they were far better, used to playing together, at home and at altitude. I don’t think how we played is a real index of where we will be in a few weeks, but there are lessons to be learned.. At one point Archer went backwards in the scrum, both feet in the air- and .. but Fineen is settling into second row nicely, Jacko has added real strength and devil to his game, and our line outs worked well more or or less throughout. When what is basically a whole pack comes back from the World Cup, it will also be a huge boost, but I hope Fineen, Jacko and others will continue to be given the opportunities they are now grasping.
              We need a second centre of excellence in Meelin!
              'twas wicked yousir!

Comment

Originally posted by Surveyor View Post

The point I was making is that on paper it was already a good Munster pack, Cronin, Marshall and Archer will still be the replacement front row and some may start. Botha, Jacko and Tommy will be vying for a starting place, may keep some of the internationals out of the team, and will be in the replacements at least. The return of the Internationals should improve the pack but not to the extent that the gulf we saw today will be bridged IMO. What really worries me though is that a pack that looked to me to be excellent in the context of our international absentees, and to be a reflection of some serious strength in depth, turned out to be anything but. I suspect that the altitude played a part in our second half collapse, and a cold wet and windy TP may similarly help us. It is of course also possible that the Cheetahs are just a lot better than us, which is no consolation at all.
                They're in Galway in 2 weeks time. That might give us a better idea of where they are. Connacht near full strength and at home (lord knows what the weather will be like, but I am boldly predicting now that the temperature won't be in the 20's and the air will not be thin!)

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

.. but Fineen is settling into second row nicely, J
                  He's gotten a lot of minutes and definitely looks the part. No silly penalties (I think) and plenty of athleticism and hard-nosed tackling. It's early yet, but he's going to press hard to be a starter in the big matches.

Comment

Not sure if it's discussed earlier but I got the impression that McCarthy's box kicking and line kicking was pretty accurate and obviously done to orders..

Comment

I'd enjoy watching Conway tried at #13 if there was a temporary gap to be filled or as part of some grand Larkham scheme to get the best players on the park ! He looks as if he could handle the tricky defensive duties of a 13 and he runs some very interesting lines when he gets the ball. Not saying it would work but I'd like to see it tried.

Comment

Originally posted by coolbawn View Post
                        Not sure if it's discussed earlier but I got the impression that McCarthy's box kicking and line kicking was pretty accurate and obviously done to orders..
                        It's too early to tell for me and maybe even unfair to judge him based on the recent match, but I hope he improves a bit from that performance. The same could be said for the collective performance of the team.
                        I suppose given the sacrifice he made and the courage that took, I was expecting more right from the off.
                        That's what a diet of Roy of the Rovers in my youth has done to me!

Comment

I miss the early season game against Leinster. It would give us a better idea where we stand. Now I feel the Saracens games in December will decide our Season and if we lose a few in the league early on we could be playing futile catch-up thereafter. Apologies for the negativity. We are playing 4/5 league games during the HEC. Three/ four of these are inter -pro and 1 against non HEC. These games are very difficult to call. Last year, Glasgow and us lost 5 and Leinster 6 games over the season. Think in recent years we have relied on our Intl’s to get us over the line in bigger games. After RWC their playing time will be limited. Any loss outside this time has big consequences for our season. The reason I put 4/5 above is we are usually very poor in game pre first HEC game. This year is our best chance to get a home draw in years in the league knock out stages.

Comment

I miss the early season game against Leinster. It would give us a better idea where we stand. Now I feel the Saracens games in December will decide our Season and if we lose a few in the league early on we could be playing futile catch-up thereafter. Apologies for the negativity. We are playing 4/5 league games during the HEC. Three/ four of these are inter -pro and 1 against non HEC. These games are very difficult to call. Last year, Glasgow and us lost 5 and Leinster 6 games over the season. Think in recent years we have relied on our Intl’s to get us over the line in bigger games. After RWC their playing time will be limited. Any loss outside this time has big consequences for our season. The reason I put 4/5 above is we are usually very poor in game pre first HEC game. This year is our best chance to get a home draw in years in the league knock out stages.
                            I think, shorn of the internationals, that early season /pre Hcup game loses a bit- and it might be instead the home game at new year might see strong sides selected. Agree about Sarries- but I think we’re in a good place for PRO14, because of our strength in depth. Relay good to be starting away to ospreys, home to racing- both very winnable games- we should be leading the group by the time we play sarries, and racing and ospreys could have two losses each, and basically be out of contention. The home game being first up, we could head to London with nothing to lose....does that help with the negativity??

Comment

Jaysus man, take a chill pill. Everyone's going to be hit by the world cup this season. But we'll have most of our 12 world cup players regularly available to us. Only Stander, Earls and POM will have had significant game time. We'll easily be in the league plays offs. Europe will be tough, but when isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Wallyman View Post

Jaysus man, take a chill pill. Everyone's going to be hit by the world cup this season. But we'll have most of our 12 world cup players regularly available to us. Only Stander, Earls and POM will have had significant game time. We'll easily be in the league plays offs. Europe will be tough, but when isn't it?
                                The other Munster players could see a lot of game time in the semi-final and final. Then the celebrations could take a lot out of them all!!

Comment

Working...
                                X