No announcement yet.

Pro 14 games in sth africa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another great reference to see which tv channels are showing the game is this site: https://liveonsat.com/x-rugby-union.php

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

Chris looked in pain going off on the cart- but haven't seen anything about the extent of his injury.

Munster site has JVG saying '“After an initial review on Chris Cloete’s ankle injury we’ve released him from the touring group as he won’t be available for the immediate future.

“In retaining a group of 28 available players we’ve brought in Academy back row Jack O’Sullivan, who arrived today.”
      Cloete being out is a massive blow. Arguably, he is the only player that we have no real replacement for. Conor Oliver, Jack O'Donoghue and Tommy O'Donnell are all good players, but are very different players and nowhere near the breakdown threat that Cloete is. O'Mahony is probably the most similar to Cloete.

Getting Cloete back is crucial for our champions cup hopes, imo. With O'Mahony, Cloete and Beirne on the pitch, I think we might have the most threatening breakdown in europe. It's the one clear advantage that we have over all most every team in europe. All three can be world-class on their day and I don't think it's a coincidence that Munster's best performance(vs Exeter away) last year came when all three were starting.

Shane Daly has been really impressive. Watching Cork Con last year, I thought that McHenry and French looked the most impressive of the Munster contingent on display, but Daly has really taken his chance. This week will be a different test, though. The Cheetahs' back three made a very quick Ulster back-three look very slow last week. If Daly can defend Volmink, he is the real deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

Don't think he really has the power for 8 that's required these days. He's a bit more rangy and better suited to 6 IMHO. Would be happy to be proved wrong but lads like JOS and Hodnett coming through look more in the CJ mold.
        I not sure he doesn't. He's taller but lighter than CJ and has more pace. I think he could have a similar style to Copeland. I'd like to see him get 3 - 4 matches at 8. He's certainly no less powerful than Deegan or Doris at Leinster IMO.
        He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Mumhain View Post

Cloete being out is a massive blow. Arguably, he is the only player that we have no real replacement for. Conor Oliver, Jack O'Donoghue and Tommy O'Donnell are all good players, but are very different players and nowhere near the breakdown threat that Cloete is. O'Mahony is probably the most similar to Cloete.

Getting Cloete back is crucial for our champions cup hopes, imo. With O'Mahony, Cloete and Beirne on the pitch, I think we might have the most threatening breakdown in europe. It's the one clear advantage that we have over all most every team in europe. All three can be world-class on their day and I don't think it's a coincidence that Munster's best performance(vs Exeter away) last year came when all three were starting.

Shane Daly has been really impressive. Watching Cork Con last year, I thought that McHenry and French looked the most impressive of the Munster contingent on display, but Daly has really taken his chance. This week will be a different test, though. The Cheetahs' back three made a very quick Ulster back-three look very slow last week. If Daly can defend Volmink, he is the real deal.
          Don’t agree at all on Cloete. I think he’s s bit overrated and wouldn’t have him in our full strength starting pack. With POM and Beirne starting, another poacher is not what we need. TOD brings more balance with his carrying and linking game.

When JOD or Botha/CJ is at 6, Cloete is a useful option at 7 because he brings what they don’t, but I’d prefer a back row of CJ, POM, Botha or Beirne, POM, CJ (with Fineen in the row).

Cloete is also a penalty machine. Gives away as many as he gets turnovers.

Comment

Don’t agree at all on Cloete. I think he’s s bit overrated and wouldn’t have him in our full strength starting pack. With POM and Beirne starting, another poacher is not what we need. TOD brings more balance with his carrying and linking game.

When JOD or Botha/CJ is at 6, Cloete is a useful option at 7 because he brings what they don’t, but I’d prefer a back row of CJ, POM, Botha or Beirne, POM, CJ (with Fineen in the row).

Agree 100%. I'd have no problem if himself and Botha were gone at the end of the year and the money spent on one top-class player in whichever position the management felt we were really lacking (4, 7, 12, 15).

While he is here though hope he gets back to his best from 18 months ago and I hope the injury doesn't keep him out for too long.

Comment

Originally posted by AwayFromHome View Post

Agree 100%. I'd have no problem if himself and Botha were gone at the end of the year and the money spent on one top-class player in whichever position the management felt we were really lacking (4, 7, 12, 15).

While he is here though hope he gets back to his best from 18 months ago and I hope the injury doesn't keep him out for too long.
              Cloete is contracted until 2022 and is IQ at the start of next season. He's going anywhere. Botha will be gone next season though.

Comment

Cloete is a horses for courses player, and a really valuable asset depending on the weather/opposition. Last year he was also playing dummy SH at some lineouts which gave us a more powerful option close in. Compared to the others, he doesnt have the running game, but alas we don't always have the ball for that. He's a huge competitor in the tight, and yes, gives away the odd pen, but that is because like any other player in his role he is invariably pushing legality to the limit- and some refs are at best inconsistent in how the ref the breakdown. So for me he's not the complete player but he is invaluable at what he does. I dont think we'll miss him this week, but a dirty day in Swansea next month he'll be in his element. Botha was impressive last week, but for me others are, or will be, as effective in terms of what he brings.

Comment

Don't forget folks, this game kicks off much earlier than usual for a Friday - 5.15pm.
                  Tis but a scratch.

Comment

This game will be hugely informative I think.

First proper test of the new systems and whatnot, game at altitude

Any sort of result down there would be a huge boost I think
                    I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                      This game will be hugely informative I think.

First proper test of the new systems and whatnot, game at altitude

Any sort of result down there would be a huge boost I think
                      Winning would be a big statement. On the other hand if we lose at altitude to a very good side while missing 12 internationals ourselves then I don't think that will be informative of anything in particular. While I wouldn't want us to do an Ulster I wouldn't be writing Ulster's season off either on the basis of the beating they took last week.

Comment

I get your general point, but Tommy O'Donnell definitely doesn't have a better carrying game than Cloete. Cloete was consistently used as a first-phase carrier for the Kings. As jagawayagain mentions, he was also used as a dummy scrum-half for Munster and has been involved in a number of phase-play moves. The only area where Tommy O'Donnell is superior is in his discipline and as a line-out option. O'Donnell probably has a higher tackle percentage as well, but that I think that's more down to the type of tackles both players go for.

I partially agree with your point about the balance of the back-row, but if Cj Stander can get back to his best bally-carrying form, I don't think it becomes as big an issue.
                        Last edited by Mumhain; 11th-October-2019, 13:48.

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
                          Don't forget folks, this game kicks off much earlier than usual for a Friday - 5.15pm.
                          This is going to be tricky...getting out of work is bad enough. Arriving home and announcing I'm going to watch a rugby match right away.... there's no way a marriage counsellor is going to take my side.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Horse View Post

This is going to be tricky...getting out of work is bad enough. Arriving home and announcing I'm going to watch a rugby match right away.... there's no way a marriage counsellor is going to take my side.
                            You're not using the right marriage counselor - There should be a recommendation for one who understands the importance of rugby in the "I know a fella who..." thread

Comment

Can you not just watch it in the pub? Here's how:
                              "You'll never believe what happened love ..."

"... then I came straight home once it was all sorted."

Anyway, for those watching via Ace Player, the code is up on KT's subreddit already. If you haven't got it all sorted by now, get your finger out!
                              Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Loughman pinged for lying in the ruck. Cheetahs penalty, then another one for into the ensuing lineout maul from the side by Archer.

Our rush defence is good so far.
                                Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Working...
                                X