No announcement yet.

Pro 14 games in sth africa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad news for Conor Oliver that O'Sullivan is preferred to him. Cloete put up a pic of his foot in a moon boot before his flight home so possibly a fracture of some sort.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Horse View Post

Friday is going to be very tough for us. Cheetahs have won the Currie cup and are playing at home for the third week in a row. As you point out the match is at altitude. In the previous two matches they have handed out hammerings to Glasgow* and Ulster.
      Even allowing for the World Cup and injuries, the beatings were remarkable.

*Glasgow also lost at home this weekend 21-25 to the Scarlets, so maybe the season hasn't started properly yet for them. Ulster, on the other hand, thumped the Ospreys in their first match.
      Munster's defence won't be anything like Ulster's. They kicked long to the Cheetahs and the chase was really poor. Pienaar has been a massive addition for them this season. Expecting plenty of tries at least.
      He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonstonitis View Post
        Bad news for Conor Oliver that O'Sullivan is preferred to him. Cloete put up a pic of his foot in a moon boot before his flight home so possibly a fracture of some sort.
        His size is always going to be an issue. We have so many good back row players coming through and they’re all big, powerful lads, which is a necessity now.

I could see POM shifting across to allow Botha and CJ to play 6 and 8, with Coombes, JOS and Hodnett challenging them in time. TOD isn’t going to give it up without a fight either, obviously. Just can’t see Oliver competing with that lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

His size is always going to be an issue. We have so many good back row players coming through and they’re all big, powerful lads, which is a necessity now.

I could see POM shifting across to allow Botha and CJ to play 6 and 8, with Coombes, JOS and Hodnett challenging them in time. TOD isn’t going to give it up without a fight either, obviously. Just can’t see Oliver competing with that lot.
          Agree- if you look at Cloete, he has built his game around his size, with incredible upper body strength - Conor doesn’t have those physical attributes, nor those of the lads coming through.

Comment

That's an interesting point. I never would have considered POM anything but a 6 but funnily enough his best performances for Ireland lately have been 7 and CJ's best performances came at 6. Could be an interesting move for Munster when they're back.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonstonitis View Post

That's an interesting point. I never would have considered POM anything but a 6 but funnily enough his best performances for Ireland lately have been 7 and CJ's best performances came at 6. Could be an interesting move for Munster when they're back.
              Yes, and I think there are a few more questions that will return with the lads when they are back with Munster. Daly, for example. Who drops out to incorporate our international back row...Possibility of playing Farrell at 12, Haley vs Conway at FB, which are our starting wings? Four hookers ...for two places- the perennial 10 problem.. lots to get our teeth into

Comment

There's something about JOD that makes us all forget him from time to time. I've done it myself even while admiring all the backrows you listed.

Comment

There's something about JOD that makes us all forget him from time to time. I've done it myself even while admiring all the backrows you listed.
                  Don’t know why I didn’t mention him! I had him in mind as a challenger at 6 and 8 too. Don’t see him as a 7, even though he’s played there for us numerous times.

Comment

Team for Cheetahs Named

1 Loughman,
                    2 Marshall,
                    3 Archer
                    4 Wycherly
                    5 Holland
                    6 O'Donoghue
                    7 O'Donnell
                    8 Botha
                    9 McCarthy
                    10 Bleyendaal
                    11 Daly
                    12 Scannell
                    13 Goggin
                    14 Sweetnam
                    15 Haley

Replacements
                    16 O,Byrne
                    17 Cronin
                    18 Knox
                    19 O’Shea
                    20 Gavin Coombes
                    21 Matthewson
                    22 Hanrahan
                    23 Nash
                    Last edited by TheRedRoar94; 10th-October-2019, 12:29.

Comment

Tough fixture ahead. A win for Munster would be great.
                      Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                      Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Posted this on the wrong thread.
                        Looks like a good team and bench. Lads like Knox, Coombes, Nash definitely being given a chance. Kevin O'Byrne is in super form and a good option to spring from the bench.
                        No Boomer though. Thought he looked good last week.

Comment

Originally posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post
                          Agreed. Easily our toughest test so far and maybe also for some time.

Comment

Originally posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post
                            A win would put a massive marker down for the season. The Cheetahs were hard to beat at home last year and they are a much better side this year. I'd be happy with a solid performance where our attacking patterns bed in some more and a 4-1 or 5-2 loss.

Comment

I think it's because he's drifted from being someone with massive potential who we were all excited about to being someone who's very good but hasn't kicked on. I keep thinking he's only young but he's 26 soon, I really hope he has a stormer of a season because he has the goods.

Comment

Welp, nearly everybody who travelled is getting a run out - O'Connor was involved last week, our other young prop (on the other side) Knox has his go this week albeit off the bench. Barron not involved this time, with Marshall straight in to start and KOB on the bench, Holland now starting ahead of DOS, Coombes onto the bench instead of Holloway, McCarthy & Bleyendaal starting at half-back this week vs Mathewson & JJ last week. No Jack O'Sullivan though, which is a pity - even poor oul' Jordi Murphy got to play for 20 minutes after going to the trouble of flying to the other side of the world. Overall though, it looks like the sensible approach to squad management continues (I can't help but feel that somehow there's a lesson in there to be learned for someone). I expect our bench to all get a good chunk of time on the field due to the effects of the altitude on the starters, but hopefully that won't be a deciding factor. Certainly must have been an issue for Ulster against these guys last week.

It surprises me to see TOD listed at 8 and Botha at 7 rather than the other way round - I wonder what the reasoning is there (EDIT - on the MR site the squad listing is more conventional with TOD 7, Botha 8). Glad Daly is getting another start - he was a standout performer last week, so hopefully we'll see more of the same from him. Ditto JOD. Cheetahs have, well, cheetah-like speed on the wings and nifty footwork to go with it, so our midfield and back three will have their work cut out to keep the defensive gaps closed. Every tackle will count. If we can be intransigent in defence and maintain our newfound attacking patterns while significantly reducing the amount of handling errors we were guilty of last week, we should have enough. I'll be happy with any sort of win against this side, especially with Ruan Pienaar pulling the strings.

I am considerably more interested in this game than Ireland v Samoa. Just sayin'.
                                Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Working...
                                X