No announcement yet.

Pro 14 games in sth africa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy enough overall. The issues we had with holding onto the ball were frustrating, but I think are a signifier/symptom of a different approach courtesy of Larkham which still needs time to bed in. That attacking phase from deep which almost ended with a try for Sweetnam but for the KO with the final pass was where I think we're going with that, and when it clicks I think we'll be a much harder side to defend against. Daly is really putting his hand up and I think when Earls and Conway are back with us, there will be more pressure on Sweetnam as the next man in line for a wing spot. Keep going like this through the season and our internationals will be feeling the heat.
    Happy with Wycherley and JOD in particular. A couple of times I thought I should try to keep an eye out for DOS, but then got distracted each time so I forgot to really pay attention to him properly. Anyone have a view on how he performed? KOB was keen but a bit less effective today than last week, mainly through giving away penalties. O'Connor showed excellent hands on the run at one point - he's another I'm hoping to see more of this season.

Who did get MOTM in the end?
    Tis but a scratch.

Comment

The cheetahs will be a much stronger test but today was important to get 5 points.
      the handling errors aside I think we look like playing a more expansive game but at the right time which is encouraging. Shane Daly looks a real prospect too which is great to see .

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
        Happy with Wycherley and JOD in particular. A couple of times I thought I should try to keep an eye out for DOS, but then got distracted each time so I forgot to really pay attention to him properly. Anyone have a view on how he performed? KOB was keen but a bit less effective today than last week, mainly through giving away penalties. O'Connor showed excellent hands on the run at one point - he's another I'm hoping to see more of this season.
        DOS has definitely had better days in the Munster jersey. Showed good handling in the lead-up to one of the tries, but had a few fair few knock-ons. I think he will suit the 2-4-2 that Munster might be trying to play.

Comment

Who did get MOTM in the end?[/QUOTE]

Shane Daly awarded man of match

Comment

2 MOTM in a row for Daly?
            "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Daly’s ability to play 13 will be a big bonus when our lads return from the RWC. We can have Tyler or JJ on the bench to cover 10/12 and Daly to cover 13 and wing. Based on current form, he’ll be very hard to shift.

Comment

Daly seems to have vision and time ,A very promising start also Kevin O Byrne gave another lovely pass in the lead up to one of our scores much like last week. When you consider all the personnel away with Joe things are going not bad at all.

Comment

Good result considering the team we had out. Daly is looking like a real prospect and Hayley was very good, no more Kearney-esque tucking the ball under one arm and running into contact, great to see. A mention for JJ also, 2 solid games by him. He seems to be focussing on the doing the basics right and not always looking for the hail Mary move. He looks a more mature player this season.
                  When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

It's a tiny thing but Scannell ran an excellent blocking line/nudge for Albys try. He was standing at a pillar on the side of the ruck and just feinted right, it drew the first defender to him and not to Alby.

Really clever
                    I am the million man.

Comment

Highlights just kicked off on TG4
                      Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by RichardP View Post
                        Utter bull**** call! He landed on both hands.
                        Totally agree they were talking balls. Still a yellow for going over the vertical

Comment

Lots of good performances there, especially, in the forwards, Fineen, Jacko and Botha, backs Daly and Haley particularly. JJ did all was asked of him and more, very committed defensively, but not a lot in attack- but focussed through and efficient. I’d take a few more games like that from him. The handling, 12 plus errors made us very disjointed, and cost tries. I’m not sure how the ref awarded fineens try, made the YC decision he did, or missed the forward pass for theirs (and double movement?). Very good, if lacklustre performance. For me only DOS didn’t make a mark. It says above Daly hot MOTM, he looks a fine eager and mercurial player (maybe a bit of Zebo about him?), Jacko must have been close to MOTM, had a storming game. This was the easy one- next week will tell us a bit more.

Comment

Another very encouraging display. The handling needs to improve but there was a nice cutting edge to Munsters display.

Mike Haley done more in this game than he's done since he joined. It's like a completely different player to the one who just caught the ball and set up rucks, Kearney style. The fullback is one of the most important attacking positions in the game so if we can see more of that then it's like having a new player.

Arno Botha and JOD look to be enjoying the new style too. Passing to the nearest forward who is standing still and facing 3 defenders isn't much fun. JOD especially is a more of a rangy runner and will like the more expansive game.

Another excellent game from Daly. Keep it up and he will be pushing for HEC starts. He was tackled early for his disallowed try.

As for the handling errors, many of them came from Wycherley. He's a very good young talent but it's an area he needs to work on. He also made Archer knock on by giving him a bad pass from a few yards away.

Comment

Originally posted by dropkick View Post
                              Another very encouraging display. The handling needs to improve but there was a nice cutting edge to Munsters display.

Mike Haley done more in this game than he's done since he joined. It's like a completely different player to the one who just caught the ball and set up rucks, Kearney style. The fullback is one of the most important attacking positions in the game so if we can see more of that then it's like having a new player.

Arno Botha and JOD look to be enjoying the new style too. Passing to the nearest forward who is standing still and facing 3 defenders isn't much fun. JOD especially is a more of a rangy runner and will like the more expansive game.

Another excellent game from Daly. Keep it up and he will be pushing for HEC starts. He was tackled early for his disallowed try.

As for the handling errors, many of them came from Wycherley. He's a very good young talent but it's an area he needs to work on. He also made Archer knock on by giving him a bad pass from a few yards away.
                              Agree all round- except with regard to Haley. He was very good here, but showed flourishes last year, did find contact more often than was good, but still a young guy. Am still not quite sure what we’re doing in midfield, Goggin was good, but we finished with three good playmakers at 10,12,13. Will be very interesting to see what sort of a hand Daly makes of centre, could be a fascinating back line this year.

Comment

Apart from getting a YC, how did James Cronin do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                                Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Working...
                                X