Pro 14 games in sth africa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pro 14 games in sth africa

Academy hooker Diarmuid Barron is included in the Munster squad for South Africa. INPHO/Laszlo Geczo

It’s a short turnaround for the squad following yesterday’s 39-9 win against Dragons at Thomond Park with a 28-man squad setting off for South Africa today.

Guinness PRO14 action continues with the Southern Kings in Port Elizabeth next Saturday and the Cheetahs in Bloemfontein on Friday October 11th.

Included in the squad is newcomer Jed Holloway who was issued with his work permit during the week, and Academy players Diarmuid Barron and Keynan Knox.

Munster Squad: Stephen Archer, James Cronin, Keynan Knox, Jeremy Loughman, Liam O’Connor, Diarmuid Barron, Rhys Marshall, Kevin O’Byrne, Billy Holland, Jed Holloway, Darren O’Shea, Fineen Wycherley, Arno Botha, Chris Cloete, Gavin Coombes, Tommy O’Donnell, Jack O’Donoghue, Neil Cronin, Alby Mathewson, Nick McCarthy, Tyler Bleyendaal, JJ Hanrahan, Shane Daly, Dan Goggin, Rory Scannell, Calvin Nash, Darren Sweetnam, Mike Haley.

Looks strong - incredible to think there are a dozen in Japan, and a few younger guys who might also be there. Initially I had hoped that a few more academy guys would get the trip as well, but their final Celtic cup fixture is on st Friday.

Comment

It's hard to tell because the Dragons may not have tested us enough, but I'd be on for leaving Billy and Fineen as the starting Locks next week. If Jed Holloway is involved, maybe start him on the bench. Darren O'Shea may be under pressure here.

Comment

Anyone know why JOS and Liam Coombes are not travelling? Injured, not wanting to disturb university studies or just not selected?

Liam Coombes loosing out to Nash & Goggin returning from injury seems normal but JOS missing out after a few good games in a row and making the bench ahead of Gavin Coombes last weekend seems odd.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post
          Looks strong - incredible to think there are a dozen in Japan, and a few younger guys who might also be there. Initially I had hoped that a few more academy guys would get the trip as well, but their final Celtic cup fixture is on st Friday.
          I don't think JvG is aware of the Celtic Cup or to the extent that he is it hasn't really figured in his plans. It seems to have been a place mainly to test out sub academy players and give a representative nod to a few very good club players, which is all fair enough in my view.

We are at the foot of the table now and I don't think we are going to beat Ulster by adding one or two academy players into the mix

Comment

For anyone planning on watching the Cheetahs game live on tv. It has been brought forward 1 hour and ko is now 17:15 Irish time

Comment

Originally posted by AwayFromHome View Post

I don't think JvG is aware of the Celtic Cup or to the extent that he is it hasn't really figured in his plans. It seems to have been a place mainly to test out sub academy players and give a representative nod to a few very good club players, which is all fair enough in my view.

We are at the foot of the table now and I don't think we are going to beat Ulster by adding one or two academy players into the mix
              I agree- and am disappointed we didn’t use it to develop fringe senior squad / academy players.

Comment

I agree- and am disappointed we didn’t use it to develop fringe senior squad / academy players.
                In a world cup year would it not have been better to do as has been done by Munster have done with looking at sub academy players and club players as fringe senior and academy players were needed to boost numbers within senior set up.

Comment

I really believe this is the strongest squad we have had in years. As you said hard to believe we are missing 12 and a few boys injured too. Hopefully some exciting times ahead for Munster fans. Looking forward to our group draw in Europe to see where we stand against the big boys over 4 games

Comment

I'd lean towards OL's view on this one also. Barron, Wych, DOS, JOS, McHenry, L Coombes, Daly, Hodnett et al probably got more from full time training with the senior team and game time against LI, Connacht and Dragons than they would have by playing for the As in the Celtic Cup.

Also he did leave some academy/fringe players with the As (J Wych, SOC, Casey, Healy, Tynan)

Comment

Originally posted by AwayFromHome View Post

I'd lean towards OL's view on this one also. Barron, Wych, DOS, JOS, McHenry, L Coombes, Daly, Hodnett et al probably got more from full time training with the senior team and game time against LI, Connacht and Dragons than they would have by playing for the As in the Celtic Cup.

Also he did leave some academy/fringe players with the As (J Wych, SOC, Casey, Healy, Tynan)
                      Very happy to be wrong...while we have strong looking squad now (as said above, probably the strongest we've had)...I want to see us developing players who are better than those currently starting... I don't know how this is best done, but being 4th/5th in line for a competitive match doesn't seem to me the way to do this, especially as the Celtic Cup and Pro14 barely overlap, and inevitably as the pro14 unfolds, there will be very few opportunities for competitive rugby with other elite emerging players.

Comment

Originally posted by dermotmccarthy View Post
                        For anyone planning on watching the Cheetahs game live on tv. It has been brought forward 1 hour and ko is now 17:15 Irish time
                        Without eirschport, is it on any of the proper channels?
                        Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

Comment

Head Coach Johann van Graan has named his side to face Southern Kings in Round 2 of the Guinnesss PRO14 at Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium on Saturday (4pm local/3pm Irish time).

There are four changes to the side that defeated Dragons in the opening round in Thomond Park, with Liam O’Connor, Darren O’Shea, Alby Mathewson and Dan Goggin all coming into the starting line-up.

O’Connor joins Kevin O’Byrne and Stephen Archer in the front row, while O’Shea partners Fineen Wycherley in the engine room.

It’s as you were in the back row of Jack O’Donoghue, Tommy O’Donnell and Arno Botha, with O’Donnell taking over the captaincy duties this week.

Mathewson joins JJ Hanrahan in the half-back pairing, and with Rory Scannell switching to the 12 jersey Goggin comes in at outside centre in an otherwise unchanged backline.

Named in the replacements is Academy hooker Diarmuid Barron, and the province’s short-term signing, Jed Holloway, who is line to make his Guinness PRO14 debut.

Munster: Mike Haley; Darren Sweetnam, Dan Goggin, Rory Scannell, Shane Daly; JJ Hanrahan, Alby Mathewson; Liam O’Connor, Kevin O’Byrne, Stephen Archer; Darren O’Shea, Fineen Wycherley; Jack O’Donoghue, Tommy O’Donnell (C), Arno Botha.

Replacements: Diarmuid Barron, James Cronin, Jeremy Loughman, Jed Holloway, Billy Holland, Neil Cronin, Tyler Bleyendaal, Chris Cloete.

Comment

James Cronin covering Loosehead and Loughman tighthead?
                            Jed Holloway on the bench, so Fineen lost out. Thought he was ok against the dragons, but they were so poor, it's hard to know.
                            Neil Cronin on bench, so McCarthy, who looked pretty good to me, armchair expert that I am, is also dropped

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Horse View Post
                              James Cronin covering Loosehead and Loughman tighthead?
                              Jed Holloway on the bench, so Fineen lost out. Thought he was ok against the dragons, but they were so poor, it's hard to know.
                              Neil Cronin on bench, so McCarthy, who looked pretty good to me, armchair expert that I am, is also dropped
                              Fineen is starting. Billy drops to bench.

Think we’ll see a bit of rotation at SH early in the season, to give lads a chance.

Comment

Working...
                              X