X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post

They'd give you eye aids in real life.

Nick McCarthy is such a breath of fresh and reliable passing air
    Very impressed with McCarthy. Daly is a great prospect.

Comment

McCarthy played well, could push alby. Daly very impressive. Loughman good at carrying and scrum. I'm still waiting for the real JJ to emerge and refuse to believe that he's merely a solid pro14 level player.

Comment

39_9 full time decent enough performance although dragons offered little enough

Comment

That was reasonably satisfying - I know it's the Dragons and we would expect to beat them at home, but that was still a pretty decent win in the context of ourselves being a lot more impacted than Dragons by RWC absences (12 vs 3? 4?), on top of fielding a cobbled-together centre partnership, several junior/fringe lads making their senior debuts along with a couple of injury returnees putting in a good shift. There might have been a few green shoots to be seen in terms of our attacking patterns, e.g. the interplay between Scannell and Bleyendaal for the latter's try. Happy out.
          Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenny View Post
            McCarthy played well, could push alby. Daly very impressive. Loughman good at carrying and scrum. I'm still waiting for the real JJ to emerge and refuse to believe that he's merely a solid pro14 level player.
            Alby was, I think, our player of the season last year, and really delighted is McCarthy was that level. Given why else we have coming through at 9, that’s very encouraging (although I wasn’t keen on the move). How did TB play? I sympathise with the JJ view, but alas I fear it is s pipe dream.

Comment

Tyler had a fine game as did Rory at 13. Daly was probably the pick of the bunch. Loughman had a very impressive game too. Scrum was solid and he a few good carries.
              When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

Daly showed that he learned some nice tricks at 7's. That kick leading up to the try was beautiful.

Comment

First time in a while I watched a whole Munster game and didn't once wonder why we were running up that blind alley or wonder why we were making such and such decision
                  That there was 80 mins of coherent rugby for my money

I'm whelmed
                  I am the million man.

Comment

Top of the league.

Comment

Like one or two others I went over to Thomond Park this afternoon. Enjoyed the win, particularly Daly, Wycherley, Botha, and also Nick McCarthy who played with some authority which was encouraging.

Dragons didn't offer much beyond the booming boot of Sam Davies. Hibberd did his bit to help us. In my opinion the league is tightening up this season on competitiveness with Benetton and Cheetahs promising. We'll need to win all our home game and bonus them wherever possible. To be honest, I think Musgrave is a better ground when there's a sub-7,000 crowd there, and frankly, Thomond was like a graveyard today.

Anyway, it offered some therapy after Shizuoka. Next week away against the Kings will be important before a really tough jaunt to Bloemfontein which will be very tough, but better to get the South African safari out of the way early in the season.
                      "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                      Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Originally posted by blackwarrior View Post
                        Like one or two others I went over to Thomond Park this afternoon. Enjoyed the win, particularly Daly, Wycherley, Botha, and also Nick McCarthy who played with some authority which was encouraging.

Dragons didn't offer much beyond the booming boot of Sam Davies. Hibberd did his bit to help us. In my opinion the league is tightening up this season on competitiveness with Benetton and Cheetahs promising. We'll need to win all our home game and bonus them wherever possible. To be honest, I think Musgrave is a better ground when there's a sub-7,000 crowd there, and frankly, Thomond was like a graveyard today.

Anyway, it offered some therapy after Shizuoka. Next week away against the Kings will be important before a really tough jaunt to Bloemfontein which will be very tough, but better to get the South African safari out of the way early in the season.
                        To me, although very early days, the group fixtures seem easier than we had last year, Glasgow was a very difficult place to go. With regards to next week, I think your right- and prefer the idea of sharks first, rather than cheetahs.

Comment

Only watched it on TV due to work, but it was a good game after this morning’s disappointment. As others said I thought Daly, Loughman, McCarthy and Fineen played really well and we didn’t look too rusty for first game of the season. Billy brings lots of calm and I thought he, Kevin O’B and Sweets played very intelligent rugby.

A good start to the new season
                          "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Good win in bad conditions. Nice fluid style of play with plenty of running options. Not much static, one out rugby on display. Bodes well. It was far from perfect but

​​​​​KOB displayed some nice handling. The leadup to the Bleyendaal try was some great play from him. There was very little heads down, grind out an inch at a time, rugby, which is a bugbear of mine. They looked for offloads and keeping the attack flowing instead. Larkham already having a positive influence.

The new lads went well. JOS was the best U20 forward last year but I was a bit concerned about whether he could keep the pace and agility as he bulked up. He looks bigger now but still has that turn of pace. Looking forward to seeing more of him.
                            ​​

​​​​​​While a win was expected it was the type of game combined with the weather that usually resulted in a slugfest. Not today. That also has the added benefit of being less attritional and physically demanding apart from asking the players to run a bit more to give the ball carrier support and options.

Comment

For Tyler’s try, K’OB threw into the lineout, took the ball as SH and fired it out, then stepped in at first receiver off the ensuing ruck and put Tyler away with a deft little pass. Roy of the Rovers stuff!

Comment

Totally forgot about this game.... Looking forward to the highlights...
                                He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Working...
                                X