Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Us and the not-nots

Here we go!!!

Munster: Darren Sweetnam; Calvin Nash, Alex McHenry, Dan Goggin, Liam Coombes; Tyler Bleyendaal (C), Neil Cronin; Jeremy Loughman, Kevin O’Byrne, Keynan Knox; Darren O’Shea, Fineen Wycherley; Jack O’Donoghue, John Hodnett, Gavin Coombes.

Replacements from: Diarmuid Barron, James Cronin, Peter McCabe, Stephen Archer, Thomas Ahern, Seán O’Connor, Arno Botha, Tommy O’Donnell, Jack O’Sullivan, Craig Casey, Nick McCarthy, JJ Hanrahan, Ben Healy, Shane Daly, Rory Scannell, Mike Haley.
    When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Jaysus it’s great to read some of those names again...when he played there a bit last year Goggin was an interesting option at 12, good starting mixture of people likely to see a lot of play this season, and guys who might put their hands up.

Comment

Sweetnam at 15 is interesting - I think he has played there before alright, but not for ages. Delighted to see James Cronin named on the bench, I hope it goes well for him. As I said in another thread, DOS and Wycherley at 4 and 5 is something of a positional swap AFAIR - has Fineen played at 5 before now? No Billy Holland or Sammy Arnold is a bit of a surprise. Casey really impressed me last season so I hope he seizes his opportunity with both hands, plus it'd be good to see how Knox goes.

Dagnabbit, I wish I was able to go to this! I'm more excited by the start of the domestic season than the RWC. If anyone becomes aware of a stream/periscope etc please let me know.
      Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
        Sweetnam at 15 is interesting - I think he has played there before alright, but not for ages. Delighted to see James Cronin named on the bench, I hope it goes well for him. As I said in another thread, DOS and Wycherley at 4 and 5 is something of a positional swap AFAIR - has Fineen played at 5 before now? No Billy Holland or Sammy Arnold is a bit of a surprise. Casey really impressed me last season so I hope he seizes his opportunity with both hands, plus it'd be good to see how Knox goes.

Dagnabbit, I wish I was able to go to this! I'm more excited by the start of the domestic season than the RWC. If anyone becomes aware of a stream/periscope etc please let me know.
        I posted this elsewhere but I think that Fineen mentioned in the extended press conference that TRK released earlier in the week that Holland got a knock in training. Not 100% sure that I'm correct on that but it makes more sense as to why he isn't named in the squad.

Comment

#jed???

I am the million man.

Comment

Likewise, and count me in in the stream etc also, please!

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
              #jed???
              JVG read the other thread and thought... better not!

Comment

Big chance for DOS and Fineen

Darren is 26 now so it's time to show he can play more games. I called him Mushy O'Shea last season and felt bad about it afterward, he's a huge man and had some good games last season but it's critical some of these lads start to show they are quality.
                ​​​​​
                It is a great mix, even with all the artillery in Japan

Hugely optimistic about this season. New broom etc
                I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                  #jed???
                  Not getting into town until next week

Comment

I agree completely Cowboy, it'd be great (for both him and us) to see him deliver on his stats. The guy is an absolute giant - I had my picture taken standing between him and Mark Chisholm a couple of years back during one of those "meet the players" things in the MRSC bar. I looked like a feckin pygmy! As the saying goes, he has all the attributes so it's time to see him starting to fight his way into selection. Imagine what a partnership himself and Kleyn could become ...

I know what you mean about Mushy, and why you felt bad about it. Poor guy got glandular fever and it wiped him out for a long time - we all thought he was going to become a force of nature, but it didn't turn out that way. He did an interview a year or two ago about how badly his mental health was affected by his playing troubles - I'd hate for the same to happen to any more of our players. I remember there was some talk about whether he should have been/might have been a No. 8 instead of a prop, but I'm not sure was that just wishful thinking by someone on here or if it had been a genuine option at some point.

Anyway, back to tomorrow - might be a tad early with this, but I don't care.
                    GWAN MUNSTER!!!
                    Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Is Peter McCabe back with us this season? Thought he was gone to Connacht have I missed something?
                      Good things happen to those who wait, though mostly much too late.

Comment

Originally posted by ephileth View Post
                        Is Peter McCabe back with us this season? Thought he was gone to Connacht have I missed something?
                        He was released by Connacht and it was announced that himself and Paddy Butler are joining the Munster training squad,or words to that effect,whatever that means.
                        The early bird catches the worm but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Guinness View Post

He was released by Connacht and it was announced that himself and Paddy Butler are joining the Munster training squad,or words to that effect,whatever that means.
                          Thanks, I did miss it indeed!

Also, I was wondering why there was not more game time given to the academy lads in the celtic cup so far, but this line-up answers it a bit. 4 starting and a further 4 on the bench is a healthy sight.
                          Good things happen to those who wait, though mostly much too late.

Comment

Sammy replaced by McHenry today. TRK had him in the first team sheet announcements
                            Has Fineen put Johnny down yet?

Comment

Hope they stream this
                              Has Fineen put Johnny down yet?

Comment

Working...
                              X