No announcement yet.

Thomond Park naming rights discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've changed the thread title to reflect the actual content of the thread, so that each time it's discussed it doesn't end up as a dog-whistle exercise aimed at one specific individual.
    Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
      I've changed the thread title to reflect the actual content of the thread, so that each time it's discussed it doesn't end up as a dog-whistle exercise aimed at one specific individual.
      Thank you, that makes sense. I welcome an open honest discussion, whether people agree or disagree but I don't think getting personal helps in any way. I never make personal remarks/ criticism of individuals - it's counter productive to a good debate.

Comment

What a fluiching idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by Soda Bread View Post

Thank you, that makes sense. I welcome an open honest discussion, whether people agree or disagree but I don't think getting personal helps in any way. I never make personal remarks/ criticism of individuals - it's counter productive to a good debate.
          While I disagree with you about the issue, I entirely support both the freedom to discuss, and the title change.

Comment

Luckily (or sadly, depending on your perspective) The Muff Liquor Company of Donegal is not in the running for the gig.
            Stand up for the Ulcer men

Comment

Originally posted by tippete7trees View Post
              Luckily (or sadly, depending on your perspective) The Muff Liquor Company of Donegal is not in the running for the gig.
              Probably rules out Thomond Paint and Decor Centre too.
              He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

I’d rather keep the name Thomand Park, it’s part of the provinces culture and history. But being aware that the professionalism changes things, we may have to. Musgrave Park is still Musgrave Park to me, doesn’t matter what corporate name is put on it.
                "The PRO12 is our domestic league, it's what you earn your bread and butter from; it's what pays the bills. We need to broaden our emphasis and get an understanding in Irish rugby that the domestic league from now on is most important and that's what qualifies you now for Europe.'' Garrett Fitzgerald, CEO Munster

Comment

Originally posted by KerryRed View Post
                  I’d rather keep the name Thomand Park, it’s part of the provinces culture and history. But being aware that the professionalism changes things, we may have to. Musgrave Park is still Musgrave Park to me, doesn’t matter what corporate name is put on it.
                  No one can ever take Thomand Park off us. Nobody.
                  I am the million man.

Comment

To be honest, I think they may find it difficult to get a company to put there name on Thomand Park. Not sure why any company would do so. Munster fans just won’t like it, hardly good PR for a company. Surely be some backlash.

Think it’s different building a new stadium, as the company sponsorship helped build it, but re-naming feels different to me. St.James Park in Newcastle had the same issue. Mike Ashley ended up using his own company in the end.
                    "The PRO12 is our domestic league, it's what you earn your bread and butter from; it's what pays the bills. We need to broaden our emphasis and get an understanding in Irish rugby that the domestic league from now on is most important and that's what qualifies you now for Europe.'' Garrett Fitzgerald, CEO Munster

Comment

I wonder if a company would pay a small fee to keep the stadiums name as Thomand Park, could be a good PR stunt, maybe someone like Gunniness who already have strong ties to the sport, just a thought. Build brand loyalty.

Could put it in there next ad campaign?!
                      Last edited by KerryRed; 3-July-2020, 12:08.

Comment

To be honest, I think they may find it difficult to get a company to put there name on Thomand Park. Not sure why any company would do so. Munster fans just won’t like it, hardly good PR for a company. Surely be some backlash.

Think it’s different building a new stadium, as the company sponsorship helped build it, but re-naming feels different to me. St.James Park in Newcastle had the same issue. Mike Ashley ended up using his own company in the end.
                        people said same about lansdowne road and plenty of other stadiums. Some fans might not like it. But most will just accept it's a necessary step to take

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
                          people said same about lansdowne road and plenty of other stadiums. Some fans might not like it. But most will just accept it's a necessary step to take
                          “The Aviva” was basically a new stadium, a new entity to Lansdowne though. Even though built on the same spot of land. The Aviva money helped build it. Don’t think it has the same effect when nothing changes to the actual stadium. Maybe wrong though.

Comment

It's not about endearing themselves to anyone. Some of the most successful advertising is highly annoying or controversial. They just need it to stick in your head or become a discussion point.
                            Not everyone will have the same feeling of attachment to the stadium name, so constant repetition of the brand on TV, papers, discussion -positive/negative - achieves their goal.

​​​​​​Even in fans, the negativity towards the brand will fade but the familiarity will persist

Comment

I think there would be a lot more support for the naming of individual stands (the Bank of Ireland Stand/the Toyota Stand etc) than the whole stadium. Might be an easier sell to potential sponsors as well, in terms of them having to pony up less dough for what would still be a high level of exposure ("... and he's slotted that one right between the posts, as the ball sails towards the Guinness Stand here at Thomond Park ..."). Same goes for the likes of "Heineken Stadium at Thomond Park " or whatever - something that retained the original name would be far less likely to encounter opposition or controversy.
                              Tis but a scratch.

Comment

“The Aviva” was basically a new stadium, a new entity to Lansdowne though. Even though built on the same spot of land. The Aviva money helped build it. Don’t think it has the same effect when nothing changes to the actual stadium. Maybe wrong though.
                                Munster renamed Musgrave Park. Ulster renamed Ravenhill. Leinster renamed Donnybrook. The RDS are looking to sell their naming rights. It happens everywhere. We now have BT Murrayfield. Real Madrid are looking to sell the naming rights to the Bernabeu and Barcelonas Camp Nou will have a sponsors name attached next season. At the end of the day the sponsorship income will more than overcome complaints or even boycotts by a small number of fans.

Comment

Working...
                                X