Thomond Park naming rights discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by glorob View Post

You should get the job of PR for Munster Rugby.
    Been saying that for years

Comment

Originally posted by Soda Bread View Post

True, I couldn't resist taking a nibble but our ammunition is dry and ready, hopefully for the sake of unity never to be used.
      Whatever you might believe, you don't have any actual 'ammunition' that would stop a naming rights deal. Most fans now realise the world we live in and know what the realities are of competing in professional sport. On and off the pitch, it's a long time since 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by Wallyman View Post

Whatever you might believe, you don't have any actual 'ammunition' that would stop a naming rights deal. Most fans now realise the world we live in and know what the realities are of competing in professional sport. On and off the pitch, it's a long time since 2008.
        That's your opinion and in the absence of 'facts' available to us you're fully entitled to it but as already stated this forum will not be where this issue is resolved. I would also like to state categorically that our belief is that you can be a passionate Munster Rugby Supporter and vehemently opposed to to selling the family jewels (i.e. Thomond Park) at the same time, they are not mutually exclusive ideals.

Comment

That's your opinion and in the absence of 'facts' available to us you're fully entitled to it but as already stated this forum will not be where this issue is resolved. I would also like to state categorically that our belief is that you can be a passionate Munster Rugby Supporter and vehemently opposed to to selling the family jewels (i.e. Thomond Park) at the same time, they are not mutually exclusive ideals.
          Firstly, absolutely nobody claimed that you couldn't be a Munster supporter and oppose the renaming of TP. Less of the strawman made up arguments please.

Secondly you have absolutely no power to stop a private company from renaming one of it's assets. You are correct that the issue won't be resolved on here. It will be resolved in a boardroom with the signing of contracts. You're living in cloud cuckoo land if you believe any different.

Comment

We already have a home ground renamed with zero recriminations

Munster have 2 stadia, one of which was successfully renamed for them sweet sweet sponsorship moneys. You see where your argument disintegrates with this fact right?
            I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post

We already have a home ground renamed with zero recriminations

Munster have 2 stadia, one of which was successfully renamed for them sweet sweet sponsorship moneys. You see where your argument disintegrates with this fact right?
              They should just sell Muzzer and be done with it. We all know Thomond is the true home of Munster rugby.
              When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

Nobody is selling the family jewels, naming rights on rugby stadia is a relatively new medium of raising finance and has been successful, nobody is forcing you or your fellow Mun supporters to call it anything other than Thomond Park, it's just that when media is involved the sponsor's name is added, so what.

The Independent is now owned by a Belgian company and maybe they do not wish to be naming sporting grounds, who knows, their strategy around driving the paper behind a paywall is new, could be they may consider same again but somehow I doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wallyman View Post

Firstly, absolutely nobody claimed that you couldn't be a Munster supporter and oppose the renaming of TP. Less of the strawman made up arguments please.

Secondly you have absolutely no power to stop a private company from renaming one of it's assets. You are correct that the issue won't be resolved on here. It will be resolved in a boardroom with the signing of contracts. You're living in cloud cuckoo land if you believe any different.
                  "Secondly you have absolutely no power to stop a private company from renaming one of it's assets".

Firstly, yes we do have the power to 'influence' the decision making process and this is the road we will be taking by communicating directly with the Executive of Munster Rugby. We intend to articulate our opposition and pointing out that in 'our opinion' it would be financially a counter productive strategy to sell Thomond Parks' name. We believe that many other strategies could be developed to generate the same level of income.
                  Secondly, the Boardroom may not have the final say - if for example a legal challenge is mounted contesting the ownership of the name 'Thomond Park'. I personally would certainly not be involved in going down that route as it would be hugely divisive and do untold damage at a critical financial juncture but it is a 'last' option under review pending legal advice having reviewed the full planning application and the historical transfer of the name 'Thomond Park'. I don't profess to being a legal expert but I do know that you cannot sell that which you did not buy or cannot prove ownership of.

The last thing that we need in these trying times is a divisive confrontation on this issue, let's get on with rebooting Munster Rugby on and off the field of play!

Comment

"Secondly you have absolutely no power to stop a private company from renaming one of it's assets".

Firstly, yes we do have the power to 'influence' the decision making process and this is the road we will be taking by communicating directly with the Executive of Munster Rugby. We intend to articulate our opposition and pointing out that in 'our opinion' it would be financially a counter productive strategy to sell Thomond Parks' name. We believe that many other strategies could be developed to generate the same level of income.
                    Secondly, the Boardroom may not have the final say - if for example a legal challenge is mounted contesting the ownership of the name 'Thomond Park'. I personally would certainly not be involved in going down that route as it would be hugely divisive and do untold damage at a critical financial juncture but it is a 'last' option under review pending legal advice having reviewed the full planning application and the historical transfer of the name 'Thomond Park'. I don't profess to being a legal expert but I do know that you cannot sell that which you did not buy or cannot prove ownership of.

The last thing that we need in these trying times is a divisive confrontation on this issue, let's get on with rebooting Munster Rugby on and off the field of play!
                    HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHavHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaH aHaHaHaHaHaHaHa!!!!!!!!!! I haven't laughed so hard in ages. I'm sorry but you are delusional. There will be no legal challenge to a private company changing the name of one of its assets. You've admitted that you're no legal expert, so you should leave it there.

And you will be ignored by the executive of MR. Munster have actual experts in professional sport financing (our current CEO was Commercial Director with Leicester City) so I'd think they'll know more about bringing in income than you do.

Comment

1/. Can't resist taking the bait.

2/. Floats a straw man or two.

3/. Claims superpowers and high level influence.

4/. Brings up the vague notion of a potential legal challenge. Truly Trumpesque.

5/. Gets batted down continuously like a game of whack a mole. That's got to hurt.

6/. Claims MFs won't be the place to sort this issue despite constantly debating it here.

In short the gift that keeps on giving!
                      Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                      Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

This is great stuff. Tell us more.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

This is great stuff. Tell us more.
                          To be honest, I would love to but as I and others have stated the decision won't be made on this Forum. We are making our case & trying to influence the decision making process directly with the Executive of Munster Rugby. As regards a legal challenge, thankfully after serious discussion that has been very much put on the back burner & is very unlikely to ever happen as it would be hugely divisive & confrontational. Imagine that rag of an anti-Munster paper - the sponsors of Musgrave Park, wouldn't they just love it - not to mention our Leinster friends! No, we have decided not to go down that road in these very challenging financial times.
                          But, seeing as we have been accused of being delusional (and many other things!) here's a little tit-bit of information for you. A few years ago we made an appointment/visited the Limerick Planning Office and spent a number of hours reviewing the full planning file (3 boxes!) for the re-development of 'Thomond Park Stadium' - note, not 'Thomond Park' ( a mute but legal point). There was some very, very interesting material there which was photocopied and reviewed by interested parties - enough said.
                          Anyway, I am delighted/relieved that our approach will be to engage & hopefully convince Munster Rughy that the naming rights will not be sold.
                          It is interesting to read Ian Flanagan comments on the issue today in the Irish Times - which gives us time to express our views fully:
                          "Further revenue will be generated by selling the naming rights to Thomond Park. “There are probably two or three relatively serious conversations underway. They have largely been put on pause. We’ll pick them up when it’s the right time to do that,” said Flanagan.

Comment

...for the re-development of 'Thomond Park Stadium' - note, not 'Thomond Park'...
                            I'm not sure what relevance there is in the distinction though. Isn't Thomond Park the land, and Thomond Park Stadium is the stadium in Thomond Park? Either way, it's the stadium that would be renamed. Probably in a similar way to how Murrayfield is now BT@Murrayfield. I wouldn't be surprised to see something like Toyota@Thomond Park or Guinness Stadium @ Thomond Park or whatever.

Personally I'd be in favour of taking the cash as most people will continue calling it Thomond Park anyway.

Comment

To be honest, I would love to but as I and others have stated the decision won't be made on this Forum. We are making our case & trying to influence the decision making process directly with the Executive of Munster Rugby. As regards a legal challenge, thankfully after serious discussion that has been very much put on the back burner & is very unlikely to ever happen as it would be hugely divisive & confrontational. Imagine that rag of an anti-Munster paper - the sponsors of Musgrave Park, wouldn't they just love it - not to mention our Leinster friends! No, we have decided not to go down that road in these very challenging financial times.
                              But, seeing as we have been accused of being delusional (and many other things!) here's a little tit-bit of information for you. A few years ago we made an appointment/visited the Limerick Planning Office and spent a number of hours reviewing the full planning file (3 boxes!) for the re-development of 'Thomond Park Stadium' - note, not 'Thomond Park' ( a mute but legal point). There was some very, very interesting material there which was photocopied and reviewed by interested parties - enough said.
                              Anyway, I am delighted/relieved that our approach will be to engage & hopefully convince Munster Rughy that the naming rights will not be sold.
                              It is interesting to read Ian Flanagan comments on the issue today in the Irish Times - which gives us time to express our views fully:
                              "Further revenue will be generated by selling the naming rights to Thomond Park. “There are probably two or three relatively serious conversations underway. They have largely been put on pause. We’ll pick them up when it’s the right time to do that,” said Flanagan.
                              ..... the plot from an episode of 'Allo 'Allo?
                              I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Ghost View Post

I'm not sure what relevance there is in the distinction though. Isn't Thomond Park the land, and Thomond Park Stadium is the stadium in Thomond Park? Either way, it's the stadium that would be renamed. Probably in a similar way to how Murrayfield is now BT@Murrayfield. I wouldn't be surprised to see something like Toyota@Thomond Park or Guinness Stadium @ Thomond Park or whatever.

Personally I'd be in favour of taking the cash as most people will continue calling it Thomond Park anyway.
                                There is no difference, he's talking through his rear end. The name of a development in a planning application means absolutely nothing (it definitely isn't a legal point as he claims). Many are just listed listed as the address and then called something completely different when built. Lansdowne Road wasn't referred to as the Aviva Stadium in the planning docs either, but it was still called that.

And all the 'interesting material' he talks about is on public record. Anyone can go and review the planning archives. Although he obviously sees some conspiracy where the documents are going to disappear and makes it sound like a clandestine visit.

At the end of the day MR are fully aware of the conditions of planning when the stadium was redeveloped and there was nothing saying that the couldn't rename the stadium. No matter what Soda believes or thinks he knows.

Comment

Working...
                                X