Thomond Park naming rights discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
    Could make a similar argument about the entire ground, in fairness - it's only full a few times a season after all. It's just as valid to argue what's the point of any company paying to have their name on a ground when it's only in use every couple of weeks on average? But in any case, thanks to distancing regulations no ground is going to be anywhere near full for at least the majority of the coming season regardless so this is a pretty moot point.

I'm just trying to think outside the box a bit. Realistically, the total of four separate stand sponsorships is unlikely to exceed the full amount one might reasonably expect a stadium sponsorship deal to bring in. But despite the success of a few outlier companies on the back of the pandemic, many more hitherto robust companies are either going under or struggling to survive. So it's not being unduly pessimistic to acknowledge that our chances of getting anyone to pay for the naming rights to the ground, never mind the sort of wedge we might have expected just a few months back, have been significantly diminished for some time to come. Of course a lot will depend on how well and how quickly we come out of the coronavirus recession, but I think a deal to sponsor individual stands for e.g. two or three years could be an easier sell right now than the sort of figure that full naming rights would demand. Even if we only managed to get that in place for two out of the four, it'd be better than the square root of feck all that we have right now, like.
    its not the same. You eouldnt get near the same amount. Mention of the stands isnt going to be in much media coverage. Maybe on munsters website but not in match reports or much on TV.
    every time the ground is mentioned you get coverage. You dont get that with individual stands and you wont get anyone they'll sponsor north/south terraces when they're empty so often.
    give the stands names but name them after people involved in Munster rugby. Honour them that way and you name stadium after who gives you the best deal. Incorporate the sponsor into stadium name if you want to keep thomond in the name.
    companies sponsor a stadium for a return. There isnt a return if you just rename stands.

Comment

naming a stand doesn't get nearly the same recognition that the whole stadium gets. The exterior signage on the structure alone is worth a ton more than just on stands inside. Also,every print ad for the games and concerts have to feature the name, "BoI Stadium", "Renault Thomond Park" etc. There is bang for the buck there, and Munster should look into it if they need the money to continue a competitive operation on the pitch.

Comment

As others have highlighted, following the approach of “BT Murrayfield” and keeping “Thomond” in the name of the stadium in some form, seems like the best compromise between generating that extra revenue and keeping those core, traditional values that make Munster special.

In the short-term, similar to the renaming of Musgrave park, I’m sure the renaming of TP would make little difference to most Munster season ticket holder and would be forgotten about within a few months, but as Australian/South African/Welsh regional rugby has demonstrated, once you start disassociating teams from their original historical backgrounds it can can be a slippery slope to go down and can lead to some supporter detachment.

One of the things that Garrett Fitzgerald did brilliantly was managing to keep that old Munster attachment with the fans through the professional era, while at the same time, remaining fairly successful commercially. In many respects this was and still is Munster’s USP as has been highlighted by a number of high-profile journalists/analyst, including in Barnes’ recent article.

Tom McGurk’s words on Munster’s ability to combine the old amateur values with the newer commercial needs also springs to mind:

“ In a curious way something quite extraordinary has been achieved here [ At Munster ].
        You could call it a Munster solution to a Munster problem.
        They have managed to marry the demands of commercialization of the modern professional game to the old ethics of amateurism. “

Comment

Originally posted by Mumhain View Post
          As others have highlighted, following the approach of “BT Murrayfield” and keeping “Thomond” in the name of the stadium in some form, seems like the best compromise between generating that extra revenue and keeping those core, traditional values that make Munster special.

In the short-term, similar to the renaming of Musgrave park, I’m sure the renaming of TP would make little difference to most Munster season ticket holder and would be forgotten about within a few months, but as Australian/South African/Welsh regional rugby has demonstrated, once you start disassociating teams from their original historical backgrounds it can can be a slippery slope to go down and can lead to some supporter detachment.

One of the things that Garrett Fitzgerald did brilliantly was managing to keep that old Munster attachment with the fans through the professional era, while at the same time, remaining fairly successful commercially. In many respects this was and still is Munster’s USP as has been highlighted by a number of high-profile journalists/analyst, including in Barnes’ recent article.

Tom McGurk’s words on Munster’s ability to combine the old amateur values with the newer commercial needs also springs to mind:

“ In a curious way something quite extraordinary has been achieved here [ At Munster ].
          You could call it a Munster solution to a Munster problem.
          They have managed to marry the demands of commercialization of the modern professional game to the old ethics of amateurism. “

This is right on the money. I feel what was gotten wrong and with the renaming of Muzzer was the current mullets replacementofthe traditional name. Those of us from Cork recognise the Musgrave surname as part of Cork ‘merchant’ class- but was largely irrelevant to the grounds name. Leaving aside the questionable quality of the Independent, shedding the stadium name ( just like Aviva) broke a link with tradition. Thus I want to see Thomond retainer as part of any future name, and ideally with an internationally recognised Irish product /brand association.

Comment

Originally posted by Wallyman View Post

Depends on the business. Corporation tax takings in Ireland are 48% above expectations for the first 6 months of 2020, despite the lockdown, because the likes of the pharma and tech industries are booming.

Pharma businesses don't tend to go in for an awful lot of B2C marketing in a lot of countries. And while tax takes are going well in Ireland, a lot of those businesses are suffering elsewhere. Accenture is laying off hundreds of people this week, despite the general sense that this is a good market for tech companies. But again, how many B2B tax companies do loads of sports sponsorship?

Rugby sponsorship comes overwhelmingly from Financial Services, Alcohol, Automotive, Business/IT Services.

And while we're all understandably focused on the virus, and a lot of people are currently sheltered by furlough payments, I have to say that from what I've seen it's a ****ing bloodbath, and it's going to get worse.

We're heading into a much bigger recession than 2008. The biggest in centuries.
            "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post

And while we're all understandably focused on the virus, and a lot of people are currently sheltered by furlough payments, I have to say that from what I've seen it's a ****ing bloodbath, and it's going to get worse.

We're heading into a much bigger recession than 2008. The biggest in centuries.
              It’s hard to disagree with that, but my hope- and it’s not much more than that- is that this recession won’t be because of some weak debt positions, or the lack of some resource we depend on, but a more widespread challenge which affects most countries- and hence the path to repair and recovery may be different. A vaccine would be a sudden and general game changer. Otherwise those who thrive, and there will be many opportunities for some, will be those with the agility and vision to respond to the changes training environment. Those of us who depend on state coffers, or whose income depends on the physical presence of large numbers of people, will also need to be light on our feet. And returning to the main topic, naming rights probably constitutes the best chance of making up some of the lost match- day income.

Comment

Perhaps they should call it the ground for endless speculation.....:

Charge 1 euro for every post on here on topics like this & Munster Rugby "...will soon be millionaires"

:)))

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
                  give the stands names but name them after people involved in Munster rugby.
                  Big Pete would need two stands named after him, going to get a bit confusing
                  "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

The Gordon McIlwham Stand should attract a lot of investors.

Comment

Clinton Huppert, for fuksake.
                      Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Given that Musgraves are a very large trading group in Munster, just maybe they would be interested and rename it Musgraves Park.

Comment

He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
                            Given that Musgraves are a very large trading group in Munster, just maybe they would be interested and rename it Musgraves Park.
                            And just to shoot the canard before it gets too far off the ground...

“The ground, formerly known as Musgrave Park, was purchased by the Munster Branch I.R.F.U. in 1938, ....were named after the late Jimmy Musgrave who had been prominent in both Munster and Irish rugby for many years.”

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

And just to shoot the canard before it gets too far off the ground...

“The ground, formerly known as Musgrave Park, was purchased by the Munster Branch I.R.F.U. in 1938, ....were named after the late Jimmy Musgrave who had been prominent in both Munster and Irish rugby for many years.”
                              Yeah, he was President of the IRFU ( I think the only Corkman?) - I still think that's it's a pity his memory was not 'preserved' & that the naming rights were sold to you know who!
                              "Musgrave Park, referred to as Irish Independent Park for sponsorship reasons,[5][6] is a rugby football stadium in the city of Cork, Ireland. The ground is situated on Pearse Road in Ballyphehane. The ground was originally named after Jimmy Musgrave,[7] a past-president of the Irish Rugby Football Union, with naming rights later sold to Independent News & Media in 2014.[5] Owned by the Irish Rugby Football Union (IRFU), it is primarily used by Dolphin RFC, Sundays Well RFC, and Munster Rugby".

Comment

Oh, and by the way, decisions like these are never reversible - it only adds insult to injury - Musgrave Park can never be Musgrave Park again.

Comment

Working...
                                X