Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Celtic Cup 2019

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Found more details on the IRFU website: https://www.irishrugby.ie/provincial...cial-fixtures/
    Full fixture list including KO times and venue under 'Celtic Cup fixtures'
    Good things happen to those who wait, though mostly much too late.

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by ephileth View Post
      Found more details on the IRFU website: https://www.irishrugby.ie/provincial...cial-fixtures/
      Full fixture list including KO times and venue under 'Celtic Cup fixtures'
      Found these after I posted, but still remarkably little around. Any chance of a team/squad, at some stage, do you think?

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

        Found these after I posted, but still remarkably little around. Any chance of a team/squad, at some stage, do you think?
        In fairness I was hopeful when I saw the news on the MR website (https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2019/08/...s-this-friday/) but all they give us is "With the age-grade Interprovincial season well underway and the bulk of the academy players training with the senior squad, Head Coach Peter Malone will be calling on a number of club representatives to feature in the side this season."

        Almost reads as if they are not quite sure themselves what squad they will be picking from.
        Good things happen to those who wait, though mostly much too late.

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by ephileth View Post

          In fairness I was hopeful when I saw the news on the MR website (https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2019/08/...s-this-friday/) but all they give us is "With the age-grade Interprovincial season well underway and the bulk of the academy players training with the senior squad, Head Coach Peter Malone will be calling on a number of club representatives to feature in the side this season."

          Almost reads as if they are not quite sure themselves what squad they will be picking from.
          I was hoping we see a relatively senior side out, great opportunity to get clarity on some positions (not least 9 and 10) before the PRO14 starts and internationals come back.

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

            I was hoping we see a relatively senior side out, great opportunity to get clarity on some positions (not least 9 and 10) before the PRO14 starts and internationals come back.
            I wouldnt. There is still plenty of time and games before pro14. these games should be for younger players who wont be near pro14.

            There is LI and Connacht before pro14. Maybe later games in this comp introduce more senior players but not now.

            Comment


              #21
              Fully agree OL
              "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

              Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

              Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
                I wouldnt. There is still plenty of time and games before pro14. these games should be for younger players who wont be near pro14.

                There is LI and Connacht before pro14. Maybe later games in this comp introduce more senior players but not now.
                Agree fully but I'm a bit worried about the statement that academy players won't be available. Last year Bill J, Nash, Wootton, Daly, Coombes, Oliver, Wycherly and a few others simply did not get enough games. They were caught between being not quite good enough to break into the Pro14 side and too good/unavailable to play much at club level. That is not good for their development. Rugby players need to play competitive rugby and no amount of regular training can replace that. I'd like to see the players who will not get much of a look in for more that 4-5 Pro14 games get decent match experience in the Celtic Cup - that's what its for.

                Front row: J Wycherly/J French, Bannon/Clarke, Knox/Murphy/Masters
                Second row: DOS, Aherne, SOC, EOC, Kelly
                Back row: Coombes, JOS, Hodnett, J Daly, Oliver
                Half backs: Casey/Cronin/Stafford, Flannery/Healy
                Outside backs: McHenry, Nash, S Daly, L Coombes, Wren, Tynan, Wootton, McPhillips

                Senior contracted players who are bolded above are not likely to get a huge amount of game time in the Pro14 unless Larkham and Rowntree force a change in selection policy (which I hope they do). Also the best chance to force that change is not through senior training but through performances on the pitch.

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by AwayFromHome View Post

                  Agree fully but I'm a bit worried about the statement that academy players won't be available. Last year Bill J, Nash, Wootton, Daly, Coombes, Oliver, Wycherly and a few others simply did not get enough games. They were caught between being not quite good enough to break into the Pro14 side and too good/unavailable to play much at club level. That is not good for their development. Rugby players need to play competitive rugby and no amount of regular training can replace that. I'd like to see the players who will not get much of a look in for more that 4-5 Pro14 games get decent match experience in the Celtic Cup - that's what its for.

                  Front row: J Wycherly/J French, Bannon/Clarke, Knox/Murphy/Masters
                  Second row: DOS, Aherne, SOC, EOC, Kelly
                  Back row: Coombes, JOS, Hodnett, J Daly, Oliver
                  Half backs: Casey/Cronin/Stafford, Flannery/Healy
                  Outside backs: McHenry, Nash, S Daly, L Coombes, Wren, Tynan, Wootton, McPhillips

                  Senior contracted players who are bolded above are not likely to get a huge amount of game time in the Pro14 unless Larkham and Rowntree force a change in selection policy (which I hope they do). Also the best chance to force that change is not through senior training but through performances on the pitch.
                  Thanks-that was exactly the point I was
                  trying to make- we have pressing issues on the edge of the squad- and these fixtures seem to
                  me ideal for getting a sense of where these lads are competitively. There will be little enough time when the action starts in earnest, and players return from preWC and WC itself.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    From the Munster Rugby site

                    "Entry to all three home Celtic Cup round games are free for Full and Associate members of the MRSC. Members can redeem their ticket via their account by entering the promo code FREE.

                    Family Pack (two Adults and two Junior): €20

                    Adult: €10

                    Junior: €5

                    All tickets are general admission."

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Munster A:
                      Rob Hedderman (UCC),
                      Matt Bowen (UCC),
                      Louis Bruce (PBC Cork/UCC/U20),
                      Tommy Downes (CBC Cork/Galwegians/U20),
                      Ronan Quinn (Glenstal/Dublin University/U20);
                      Jack Crowley (Capt) (Bandon Grammar/U20)
                      Charlie O’Doherty (Newcastle West RFC/Young Munster/U20);
                      James French (Bandon Grammar/UCC/Academy),
                      Scott Buckley (CBC Cork/UCC/U20),
                      Corrie Barrett (RBAI/Garryowen);
                      Kevin Seymour (Garryowen),
                      Paddy Kelly (St. Munchins/Young Munster/Academy/U20);
                      Cian Hurley (CBC Cork/Clonakilty/U20),
                      David Hyland (PBC Cork/Cork Con/U21),
                      Luke Clohessy (Ard Scoil Ris/Shannon/U21)

                      Replacements:
                      Kieran O’Shea (Castletroy/UL Bohs/U20),
                      Aaron Hennessy (Ennis RFC/Nenagh/U20),
                      Luke Masters (CBC Cork/Cork Con/U21),
                      Eoin O’Connor (Waterpark RFC/Academy/U20),
                      Conor Mitchell (Young Munster),
                      Kevin O’Connor (Cashel RFC/U20),
                      Maccon Casserly (Crescent/Old Crescent/U20),
                      Pa Ryan (Ard Scoil Ris/Shannon).
                      Last edited by ScrummieMan; 23-August-2019, 06:55.

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Fair play to Kev Seymour. Would be great still having him involved with Nenagh
                        Jack Crowley is as much Bandon RFC as the grammar school.
                        Interesting to see Barrett involved as dont see too many from Belfast playing down here

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Thanks for adding the ages Bayern, greatly appreciated. When I saw the team on twitter earlier I was wondering how useful it was going to be to have Malone manage a squad of club players but it would seem that it is more like a sub academy squad. It could be a tough night for them up against some semi pros but overall it's probably good that the system is investing resources and gametime in these players.

                          Comment


                            #28
                            What would be the ages of the players that haven’t been shown? Like the fullback and right wing for example.

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Anyone know if there is a live stream to this game

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by Cathalsmart View Post
                                What would be the ages of the players that haven’t been shown? Like the fullback and right wing for example.
                                Hedderman could be U21, not sure about Bowen or the others.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X