Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Munster chasing in-demand Mathieu Bastareaud with 'concrete offer'

April fools ???

Mathieu Bastareaud is alleged to have received what has been described as a “concrete offer” to join Irish side Munster on a short-term deal covering the start of the 2019/20 season.

The long-serving France midfielder’s club future for the remainder of the calendar year is in a state of flux following his omission from his country’s squad for the World Cup in Japan.

The rumbustious French centre had assumed he would be going to the finals in Japan and had said his goodbyes to Toulon, as he has a contract signed to play with Rugby United New York in America in their 2020 MLR season.

He is still under contract with Toulon until December 1 before he temporarily leaves them for his half-year stint in New York. However, they did not include him in their plans for the start of the new 2019/20 Top 14 season as they believed he would be unavailable due to representing his country in Japan.

That assumption was torn asunder on June 18 when Jacques Brunel left Bastareaud out of the 31-strong France squad for the finals, the centre even failing to be included in the standby list of the players also announced.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/munst...concrete-offer

Originally posted by mac22 View Post
    April fools ???

Rugbypass, same difference
    When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

He would do awful damage to the chicken tenders and gravy reserves of stock in Chut and for this reason alone I am against this supposed move.
      I am the million man.

Comment

I hope this report is someones idea of a joke

Comment

Of course, the article goes on to say there is no chance of him coming here as French clubs are chasing him to be a medical joker during the world cup but why mess with a sensationalist headline for Rugbypass
          Last edited by Crazyemerald; 4th-July-2019, 20:52.

Comment

Taking the notion in isolation and musing on it why are people so dead set against him rocking up to UL?

30 year old 18 stone international captain whose already won the cup and knocked out Sexton more times than anybody

Noted for his physicality, his turnover threat and his bulk tieing in tacklers aplenty. The idea of him giving Joey and BigChris options is hugely exciting to my eye

Whose to say he's not the next Langford, the next Jim Williams, the next Dougie?

All year there's whinging we can't match the Bosh of Sarries so getting the fattest nastiest bruiser around is some kind of kamikaze move?

Smell the coffee. He would be a huge addition
            I am the million man.

Comment

A French rugby playing away in every single game, it’s a recipe for disaster.

Comment

Can't see Munster chucking the sort of money he'd be offered elsewhere for a short-term deal, but he'd be one hell of a joker. I've made fun of him a bit myself in the past for being a bit one-dimensional but at his best he has ridiculous skills.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                  Taking the notion in isolation and musing on it why are people so dead set against him rocking up to UL?

30 year old 18 stone international captain whose already won the cup and knocked out Sexton more times than anybody

Noted for his physicality, his turnover threat and his bulk tieing in tacklers aplenty. The idea of him giving Joey and BigChris options is hugely exciting to my eye

Whose to say he's not the next Langford, the next Jim Williams, the next Dougie?

All year there's whinging we can't match the Bosh of Sarries so getting the fattest nastiest bruiser around is some kind of kamikaze move?

Smell the coffee. He would be a huge addition
                  He's better than just a bruiser, to be fair. Maybe a bit stupid at times but capable of some rugby intelligence most centres can't match.

Comment

Just no. Makes no sense to me TBH. We’re in a relatively easy conference in the PRO14. We’ve enough depth and quality at centre. Farrell & Scannell prob won’t go to the World Cup if Henshaw, Ringrose & Aki are fit. At a time we’re trying to balance books and pay of debt I see no logic or potential in this move.

Hopefully all a load of boll*x! But worried RTÉ are reporting it.
                    Last edited by KerryRed; 5th-July-2019, 06:26.
                    "The PRO12 is our domestic league, it's what you earn your bread and butter from; it's what pays the bills. We need to broaden our emphasis and get an understanding in Irish rugby that the domestic league from now on is most important and that's what qualifies you now for Europe.'' Garrett Fitzgerald, CEO Munster

Comment

Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post

He's better than just a bruiser, to be fair. Maybe a bit stupid at times but capable of some rugby intelligence most centres can't match.
                      That's the thing, and he has a passing game too. I don't think it will happen, but the idea makes huge sense to my eye. He will get a wage Munster cannot match, just like Handre Pollard

He would add a lot of experience and leadership to a relatively young squad. Munster need a guy who will slot in and get settled rapido, the French and Toulon gamestyle has been as saffer led as our own lately. He is built for that slow game

The only way Sammy Arnold or Scannell could match his game would be for one to eat the other whole in the hopes he put on 40 kilos of bulk

Wiki already says he going to NY in December

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190705-073257.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	2572681
                      I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post
                        Can't see Munster chucking the sort of money he'd be offered elsewhere for a short-term deal, but he'd be one hell of a joker. I've made fun of him a bit myself in the past for being a bit one-dimensional but at his best he has ridiculous skills.
                        I don't think he choice New York for the money.

Comment

Originally posted by KerryRed View Post
                          Just no. Makes no sense to me TBH. We’re in a relatively easy conference in the PRO14. We’ve enough depth and quality at centre. Farrell & Scannell prob won’t go to the World Cup if Henshaw, Ringrose & Aki are fit. At a time we’re trying to balance books and pay of debt I see no logic or potential in this move.

Hopefully all a load of boll*x! But worried RTÉ are reporting it.
                          You need at least 4 centers in your squad. I'm pretty sure Chris Farrell will travel to Japan. Whatever he'll play a lot is to be seen.

Comment

Well, if nothing else it would give the Zebo weightwatchers obsessives some new material.
                            Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Sounds great if it happens. Can see why people would be a bit unsure, but it's short term, the lad is a bulldozer which is something we lack, and he's an international captain.

I'd be wary that he may actually end up at the WC after all - or is that not possible if he's not listed on the standby?
                              "There are probably more annoying things than being hectored about African development by a wealthy Irish rock star in a cowboy hat, but I can't think of one at the moment"

Paul Theroux

Comment

Working...
                              X