Creating the buzz about Munster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creating the buzz about Munster

As a regular visitor to Musgrave and frequent enough visitor to Thomond park as well as being a GAA fan I was struck by the colour and excitement of yesterdays Munster hurling final. The GAA has a big problem or players having multiple masters resulting in fixture chaos and burn out but they have got something right here. They averaged over 25k for 11 Munster hurling championship games. That is some going - 11 packed Thomond's with only Munster support. A lot of this years games were onesided but most games were do or die and every team felt they had a great chance before Waterford tailed away, they will be back though. The Leinster hurling championship while it didn't draw the same crowds was one for the ages. Aside from the Carlow games every second of every game was battled for like life depended on it.

It is hard to get excited by the Pro14. We will qualify for a semi and will do so playing weakened sides. If we hit a rough patch we can drop in a few big names to push on. All games in Cork that I have attended in recent years have been cake walks. Cardiff this year was in the melting pot for a while but I don't think too many in the ground felt we were in danger. Not much we can do when teams send second strings over to play us. The kids in Musgrave still love it and cheer every try in each 30/40 point win but there is not much there for them to build a real grá for Munster compared to when we had miracle matches and shear amazement at unlikely victories of a team that showed repeatedly they were indeed greater than the sum or their parts. There are often crowds as small as 5/6/7k in Thomond for Pro14 fixtures, the cracks are papered over by announcements of 11/12/13k counting our regular 10k season tickets presold. It's great, money in the bank, but god Thomond is hollow when they don't take their seats.

It's with that in mind that I am happy with our Champions Cup group. Even if we don't qualify if we can be in the mix until the last day we get - 3 packed houses in Thomond and massive TV audiences for the away games (plus the travelling support). I think we need the excitement of it to get the buzz back. We have lost something, the imagination of the general public and we need to get it back. The hurling crowds show there is a huge sporting fan base in the province. Our Pro14 isn't going to attract them, it's all about the Champions Cup. Wouldn't it be great to get a minimum 6 champions cup weekends when the core and extended Munster support are watching, like the old days. We have the group to build that sort of excitement this year, lets hope we can make it happen on the pitch.

I think the most important element of that buzz is people believing that Munster have a chance in the competition. I don't recall, in the years when we were chasing it, that a more of less competitive group drove that.

It's odd how different this streak of losing Semis feels to the HEC winning era. Munster have to eliminate the sense that their exit from the competitions is a formality. In that sense, the group could be very important. Sticking one on Sarries or Racing away would be a major marker.
    "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post

It's odd how different this streak of losing Semis feels to the HEC winning era. Munster have to eliminate the sense that their exit from the competitions is a formality. In that sense, the group could be very important. Sticking one on Sarries or Racing away would be a major marker.
      Agree, but worth noting that the winning era was preceded by many losses, but (in hindsight at least) it felt different. We didn't know whether we could get there or not, and so often an off day/bad luck/decisions that went against us, fired the hope that we could go further- the luck HAD to change (or would it?). For example, we could/should have beaten Northampton, Neil Back's hand, etc. Moreover we seemed to be getting better/closer each year. These recent semi defeats were not bad luck, off days etc, we just weren't anything like good enough. The gap between us and those who beat us has grown, and we need(ed) a big change in some areas, (or small change everywhere), to be closer. That's not how I remember it a decade plus ago. To make matters worse, we have dropped from top dog in Ireland to a situation where our nearest and dearest have consistently out done us when winning trophies. Markers like beating Leinster consistently again, beating one of Sarries and Racing at away and both at home, will show us the gap is narrowing again- and not because the field is coming back to us, but we are genuinely better than we were- it's a fair while since we were improving year on year.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

Agree, but worth noting that the winning era was preceded by many losses, but (in hindsight at least) it felt different. We didn't know whether we could get there or not, and so often an off day/bad luck/decisions that went against us, fired the hope that we could go further- the luck HAD to change (or would it?). For example, we could/should have beaten Northampton, Neil Back's hand, etc. Moreover we seemed to be getting better/closer each year. These recent semi defeats were not bad luck, off days etc, we just weren't anything like good enough. The gap between us and those who beat us has grown, and we need(ed) a big change in some areas, (or small change everywhere), to be closer. That's not how I remember it a decade plus ago. To make matters worse, we have dropped from top dog in Ireland to a situation where our nearest and dearest have consistently out done us when winning trophies. Markers like beating Leinster consistently again, beating one of Sarries and Racing at away and both at home, will show us the gap is narrowing again- and not because the field is coming back to us, but we are genuinely better than we were- it's a fair while since we were improving year on year.
        Absolutely.

I remember feeling gutted in San Sebastian against Biarritz, and against Scarlets at Stradey. Really felt we'd underperformed and hadn't done ourselves justice at all. I've not felt that way after recent knock out losses.

Part of it is how the game is played these days too, I think. With the nature of defence systems and the ruck attack, when a team like Sarries get the beatings of you you never for a second look like being in the game. These teams set out to dominate and smother.

A few years ago you were more worried that Jason Robinson would get on the ball against Sale and do something spectacular, or that Tuilagi would get the ball on the wing against Tigers and run over you.

Now it's full spectrum control and domination with these sides. You have to beat them in every department of the game, like.
        "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Everyone on here is just getting older! Younger fans are probably elsewhere.

Comment

The buzz about the Munster Hurling Championship is a long time coming. GAA football is now so uncompetitive that people are getting jaded, even in Mayo it's detectable with Dublin simply unassailable and the old powerhouses Meath, Mayo, Kerry and so on disappearing in the dust as Dublin flies ahead.

Into that mix comes something that should have happened decades ago, a Munster HC that isn't all over inside two games along with the resurrection of Cork and Limerick hurling. What's not to like? It should have happened ages ago but in GAA all the money and effort has gone into football. hurling gets one season into the round robin format and it seizes the spotlight. It's not surprising really for a game that's far more skillful and faster than football and has far more competitive teams now that the players have been given a few more games.
            Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by zeno View Post
              Everyone on here is just getting older! Younger fans are probably elsewhere.
              I don't think they're excited their either.

I think the loss of competitiveness, the fragmentation of TV coverage etc as well as the fact that people have less cash on their hip has dimmed things from a comparable point 10 years ago.

I don't think, for instance, that Leinster or Sarries, dominant as they are, have the level of cut through with rugby fans overall that Tigers, Wasps and Munster had a decade ago.

The main competition just isn't what it was, regardless of our place in it.

Comment

Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
                The buzz about the Munster Hurling Championship is a long time coming. GAA football is now so uncompetitive that people are getting jaded, even in Mayo it's detectable with Dublin simply unassailable and the old powerhouses Meath, Mayo, Kerry and so on disappearing in the dust as Dublin flies ahead.
                The Munster hurling championship wasn't even great this year, it was just that all 5 started out believing they could win it. Meanwhile there have been a number of excellent games in football. Unfortunately instead of wetting the appetite for the football championship they only served to show how Kerry, Mayo, Tyrone and Galway have all come back to the pack making the Dublin 5 in a row look all but guaranteed

Dublin in gaelic are similar to how Sarries and Leinster are perceived in the Champions Cup. There is a feeling that no matter how well teams do early season, meet one of these teams at the business end and your race it run. Dublin are further ahead of the pack than Sarries or Leinster though. An early home group win over Sarries is not impossible for us. It's the kind of result that would have people believing again and could kick start widening our fan base in the province again. Because the Munster teams of old set the bar so high, something special is required to get peoples attention now days. The Pro14 holds very little weight, it has been completely devalued weakened teams, predictability and Welsh apathy, we could be topping out conference comfortably and there will be no noticeable increase in gates or jersey sales.

Comment

It hasn’t been the same since EPCR hijacked the competition. And with BT now no longer on eir, I won’t be watching the champions cup next year other than the Minster games that I attend.

Comment

Originally posted by Viigand View Post
                    It hasn’t been the same since EPCR hijacked the competition. And with BT now no longer on eir, I won’t be watching the champions cup next year other than the Minster games that I attend.
                    You have a point there (about EPRC)- and TV- even in the UK, The BT sport change has been a dampener. Only HCUP i saw last years were the games I travelled to an the occasional C4 free to air. Only a slight tangent, the Premier subscription for all PRO14 was money very well spent, production is a bit crap, but all games every weekend is marvellous.

Comment

I don't think they're excited their either.

I think the loss of competitiveness, the fragmentation of TV coverage etc as well as the fact that people have less cash on their hip has dimmed things from a comparable point 10 years ago.

I don't think, for instance, that Leinster or Sarries, dominant as they are, have the level of cut through with rugby fans overall that Tigers, Wasps and Munster had a decade ago.

The main competition just isn't what it was, regardless of our place in it.
                      10 years ago this country was ****ed, proper ****ed

Mad to think it's 10 years ago but everyone was poorer then
                      I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post

10 years ago this country was ****ed, proper ****ed

Mad to think it's 10 years ago but everyone was poorer then
                        2009, yes. But the arc for us in Europe was what....98 to 2008?

We won the second HEC in May 2008. Lehman Brothers collapsed in the September.

These events may or may not have been linked :-) .... but that ten year period was no coincidence. The whole Munster travelling support thing exploded at a time when weekend city breaks in Europe were becoming part of the culture all round, when Ryan air routes were exploding etc etc.

Comment

2009, yes. But the arc for us in Europe was what....98 to 2008?

We won the second HEC in May 2008. Lehman Brothers collapsed in the September.

These events may or may not have been linked :-) .... but that ten year period was no coincidence. The whole Munster travelling support thing exploded at a time when weekend city breaks in Europe were becoming part of the culture all round, when Ryan air routes were exploding etc etc.
                          Plus, I'm in the construction industry, we poor plebs had leprosy about June 09 and it didn't hit the public jerbs for another 18(or so) months?

Things in our game are insane again now. Projects everywhere

But, that's all beside the point. What's rare is wonderful and they were wonderful days, but going to TP or IIP is still magic today, even without the trophies. Getting to know fellas on the terraces and stands, watching the lads strive to get better every year

Doesn't have to lead to silverware, but progression is more important now. Rassie said you could lose with loads of scores and nobody will turn up, but keep winning boring rugby games and you'll fill the ground. I agree with that sentiment
                          I am the million man.

Comment

Plus, I'm in the construction industry, we poor plebs had leprosy about June 09 and it didn't hit the public jerbs for another 18(or so) months?

Things in our game are insane again now. Projects everywhere

But, that's all beside the point. What's rare is wonderful and they were wonderful days, but going to TP or IIP is still magic today, even without the trophies. Getting to know fellas on the terraces and stands, watching the lads strive to get better every year

Doesn't have to lead to silverware, but progression is more important now. Rassie said you could lose with loads of scores and nobody will turn up, but keep winning boring rugby games and you'll fill the ground. I agree with that sentiment
                            I'd agree totally. The core of everything is being competitive. And it's a great process for rugby heads.

The bigger cut through will come again with success.

Comment

Plus, I'm in the construction industry ....
                              Are you a Cowboy Builder?? :0

"There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Working...
                              X