X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Ghost
    replied
    Originally posted by Chrizzzie View Post

How much bad luck can we have. First Bleyendaal who had to end his career and Carberry looks like going down the same path.
    Holland too. Hopefully Joey can get himself healed properly and he'll be with us for years to come.

Leave a comment:

• Chrizzzie
    replied
    Originally posted by Sulla View Post
    Joey Carberry out for an indefinite period, ankle injury still not resolved
    How much bad luck can we have. First Bleyendaal who had to end his career and Carberry looks like going down the same path.

Leave a comment:

• Sulla
    replied
    Joey Carberry out for an indefinite period, ankle injury still not resolved

Leave a comment:

• Munsterboy
    replied
    Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post

Well, I don't know about "cares", but it matters.

There's a note in the "DOR" piece that basically says last season doesn't count. That he gets a free pass until he had some coaches there.

If he's the coach, then he doesn't, he's headed into his second full season and expectations shift.

We've made some good signings. We've got good coaches in place.

The rub of all of this is that no one, myself included, could tell you in a reasonably concise fashion what a JVG side plays like once all of this is bedded in. The DOR vs Coach debate is just a reflection of that fact really. One school of thought that says it's time to piss or get off the pot, one that says he's only actually starting his real job this season.

The mothership gave McGahan four seasons. We haven't appointed a coach that's won anything in over a decade, and that was McGahan winning two league titles with the 2008 HEC team while falling apart in Europe. Gaffney treaded water. They made a balls of both the Penney and the Rassie situation in one way or another.

To put it harshly, Munster rugby has had two successful coaching appointments in 22 years. And they were the same fella getting the job twice.

So JVG's extension, in the wake of all the disruption around Rassie, is no copper bottomed seal of quality for me.

Anyway, it's all just bar stool rambling anyway. JVG is in the seat, there's every hope the team will kick on this year under his stewardship.

If that doesn't happen, I think he's been there long enough to be accountable.
    I think there’s a school of thought between the two you set out.

Current situation:

Coaching team is well bedded in.
    Playing style, largely based around Larkham’s more dynamic offloading game should be much more familiar to the whole squad (as opposed to just the lads who didn’t go to the RWC).
    Two top class internationals coming in to add required grunt.
    A number of young lads emerging.
    A couple of quality long-term-injured coming back into contention.

All of that says to me that we should be challenging for silverware this season, and positively expecting some the year after. It’s not quit **** or get off the pot time IMHO, but nor is he only getting comfy and having a read of the paper.

Leave a comment:

• dropkick
    replied
    Originally posted by Colliniho View Post

Is he in danger of falling down a Billy Holland shaped hole at the very top level?

Not quite big and physical enough to be a top class second row, but not quite mobile enough to be a world class 6?

I’m just playing devils advocate here as I think he’s a smashing player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He looks more dynamic than BH. A different type of athlete. I'd say he would have no problem and he could also slim down.

Leave a comment:

• Finnegan79
    replied

That's true, but maybe as you say Snyman and Ahern can fix some of that.

I am interested to see who profits and loses from the law changes though. The game's administrators seem to be on a mission to reduce collision and increase running, and eventually that has to start shaping players.
    what struck me about the NZ matches was that for all the offside and breakdown policing, they seemed to miss a great many high tackles. I saw plenty of seat belt ones and arms sliding up that routinely get whistled up in the NH that went uncalled.

Leave a comment:

• Balla Boy
    replied
    Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

Itoje is a remarkable athlete, but he also plays in sides where quite a bit of heavy lifting is done by others, and that provides opportunities for him to play to his strengths. Fineen hasn’t really had that advantage, I like his (increasingly well controlled) aggression, and certainly wouldn’t be expecting him to go backwards, just because of Snyman. I am hoping that for Ahern and Fineen, having him around will actually be the making of them. ,

That's true, but maybe as you say Snyman and Ahern can fix some of that.

I am interested to see who profits and loses from the law changes though. The game's administrators seem to be on a mission to reduce collision and increase running, and eventually that has to start shaping players.

Leave a comment:

• jagawayagain
    replied

Contrary to our desire for more grunt here, you could argue that the size of locks has already peaked. If Itoje is the best lock in the world at 6'5 (and I think he is) then Fineen at an inch shorter and half a stone lighter with three years on him may not be in that bad a place.

I suspect the new interpretations, the aims to reduce impact and reduce traffic in the midfield could tilt the game back towards more mobile players, as the ELVs were supposed to a few years ago.
    Itoje is a remarkable athlete, but he also plays in sides where quite a bit of heavy lifting is done by others, and that provides opportunities for him to play to his strengths. Fineen hasn’t really had that advantage, I like his (increasingly well controlled) aggression, and certainly wouldn’t be expecting him to go backwards, just because of Snyman. I am hoping that for Ahern and Fineen, having him around will actually be the making of them. ,

Leave a comment:

• Balla Boy
    replied
    Originally posted by Colliniho View Post

Is he in danger of falling down a Billy Holland shaped hole at the very top level?

Not quite big and physical enough to be a top class second row, but not quite mobile enough to be a world class 6?

Contrary to our desire for more grunt here, you could argue that the size of locks has already peaked. If Itoje is the best lock in the world at 6'5 (and I think he is) then Fineen at an inch shorter and half a stone lighter with three years on him may not be in that bad a place.

I suspect the new interpretations, the aims to reduce impact and reduce traffic in the midfield could tilt the game back towards more mobile players, as the ELVs were supposed to a few years ago.

Leave a comment:

• Colliniho
    replied
    Originally posted by dropkick View Post

I do hope they'll have a look at Fineen playing 6. He might just be a bit too small for international rugby at lock but could be a brutish 6 who will add physicality.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X