Munster Squad 2019-2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by B.A. View Post
    What sort of player is Diarmuid Barron? I haven't seen much of him.
    From what I've seen he seems to be technically good. He also looks fairly quick off the mark. I remember him making a few breaks for ireland U20s.

Comment

Latest update as the squad return for 4 weeks of training before the match v Leinster on Aug 22nd

Squad Update | Munster Return To Training

27th July 2020 By The Editor

Tadhg Beirne has returned to training following an ankle injury. Munster Rugby

The Munster squad have returned to the HPC in Limerick following a down week with senior players and high performance staff undergoing their second round of PCR testing today.

The training programme for the return to rugby has so far seen the players train for four weeks from June 22 to July 17.

The squad had a down week last week and have returned for a four-week bloc of training ahead of next month’s Guinness PRO14 Interpro double-header.

Johann van Graan’s men take on Leinster on Saturday, August 22, at the Aviva Stadium (7.35pm) before facing Connacht at the Aviva on Sunday, August 30 (3pm).

On the injury front, there is positive news for Tadhg Beirne (ankle), Keith Earls (calf) and John Ryan (shoulder) as they all return to training this week.

Gavin Coombes (illness), Damian de Allende (groin) and Dave Kilcoyne (calf) will all be returning to training in the coming weeks.

Calvin Nash will undergo a scan on a wrist injury today.

Dan Goggin has undergone surgery on his ankle and has started his rehabilitation.

Jean Kleyn, Jeremy Loughman and Fineen Wycherley have sustained thigh injuries and are undergoing rehabilitation with the medical department.

Continuing to rehab: Joey Carbery (wrist/ankle), Mike Haley (calf).

Comment

....”Continuing to rehab: Joey Carbery (wrist/ankle)”

it would reassuring to know whether the rehab is working ....

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post
          ....”Continuing to rehab: Joey Carbery (wrist/ankle)”

it would reassuring to know whether the rehab is working ....
          i'm not a medical professional, but a guy his age who has been rehabbing a single injury this long (he was never 100%), is a terrible sign. The wrist is a whole other issue. I get the sinking feeling that he's going to have to be "managed" game to game by the medical staff for him to just be able to get out there. He presumably hasn't played contact sports in over half a year and he's still rehabbing the ankle. Kind of absurd tbh when the reports were never "this is a catastrophic injury" the way Dan Leavy's was.

Comment

Video | Introducing Damian De Allende

28th July 2020 By The Editor

New signing Damian de Allende.

Watch new centre Damian de Allende as he gives his first interview since joining Munster earlier in the summer.

The 28-year-old has joined from the Panasonic Wild Knights in Japan after playing a leading role in South Africa’s 2019 World Cup winning campaign.

Starting six of his seven appearances at the 2019 World Cup, Damian scored important tries in the knock-out wins over Japan and Wales.

His attacking form was matched by a physical defensive display as he made his presence felt at every stage with a huge work rate from midfield.

From Cape Town, he has made 47 appearances for the Springboks, scoring six tries.

He previously lined out for the Stormers and was voted South African Super Rugby Player of the Year in 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazyemerald View Post
              Video | Introducing Damian De Allende

28th July 2020 By The Editor

New signing Damian de Allende.

Watch new centre Damian de Allende as he gives his first interview since joining Munster earlier in the summer.

The 28-year-old has joined from the Panasonic Wild Knights in Japan after playing a leading role in South Africa’s 2019 World Cup winning campaign.

Starting six of his seven appearances at the 2019 World Cup, Damian scored important tries in the knock-out wins over Japan and Wales.

His attacking form was matched by a physical defensive display as he made his presence felt at every stage with a huge work rate from midfield.

From Cape Town, he has made 47 appearances for the Springboks, scoring six tries.

He previously lined out for the Stormers and was voted South African Super Rugby Player of the Year in 2015.

as good of a signing as he is, I feel that Scannell has been a bit hard done by; he never let the team down. Is he a world class talent, no, but he has more skills than he gets to show and it was sort of sad watching him be underused. He isn't a Bundee Aki wrecking ball type player. I have a feeling that he and other guys just below the top tier will play important roles in this upcoming season with the international schedule taking out massive chunks of the calendar while the domestic leagues are still going on.

Comment

Originally posted by Finnegan79 View Post

as good of a signing as he is, I feel that Scannell has been a bit hard done by; he never let the team down. Is he a world class talent, no, but he has more skills than he gets to show and it was sort of sad watching him be underused. He isn't a Bundee Aki wrecking ball type player. I have a feeling that he and other guys just below the top tier will play important roles in this upcoming season with the international schedule taking out massive chunks of the calendar while the domestic leagues are still going on.
                ​The thing is, if we want to be winners, then we need players better than Scannell. We fall down every year at the business end of the season, not during the season when the internationals are away. Below the top tier isn't going to cut it in such an important position at the business end.

Comment

We are never going to win anything if we have to reply on one single inside center. we need more depth. Especially for the brutal season that is in front of us.

Comment

There is plenty of room for Chris Farrell, Damian de A plus Rory & Dan next season. We will have folks away, injuries etc.
                    "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post
                      There is plenty of room for Chris Farrell, Damian de A plus Rory & Dan next season. We will have folks away, injuries etc.
                      5 centres (including a guy just out of the academy who some of us were very surprised got a contract) is not a lot of centres. We are far from overloaded there.
                      French has played more in the back 3 in the last 12 months, and apart from him we have no other centres in the academy.
                      It’s easy to see why we offered Sammy another deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      \"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane\"

Comment

Originally posted by Wallyman View Post

​The thing is, if we want to be winners, then we need players better than Scannell. We fall down every year at the business end of the season, not during the season when the internationals are away. Below the top tier isn't going to cut it in such an important position at the business end.
                        Yeah, although I don't think that the talent has let them down so much as the game plan to a large extent. The box kicking is great when it works, but once that got found out, there had to be a plan B, similar to what Ireland went thru after 2018, and teams found them out. You have to be able to switch gears mid match, Munster just haven't been able to do that. I have been pleased with what I saw this past season in terms of getting the ball wide more often, trying to do more than one out runners bashing thru the opposition. If you can overpower teams, go for it, but when you cannot, you have to get something else going. The game against Gloucester at Kingsholm was a perfect example. Gloucester weren't world beaters, but they were a GP side that made their top 4 that season and Munster opened it up and throttled them at home. They seemed afraid to allow themselves to do that with any sort of consistency week to week. Too often they retreated into the conservative shell. I'm not saying they should be Fiji and sling it all over the pitch with reckless abandon, but I do feel that a little more guile in attack would have helped. Hopefully year 2 of Larkham's methods will pay dividends.

Comment

Originally posted by Finnegan79 View Post

26 years old and 125 caps doesn't seem hard done by to me?
                          I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post
                            Right now we have Goggin and Damian injured so indeed plenty of room.

Comment

DeAllende is different gravy, I am confident he is going to be what Jean DeVilliers didnt quite manage.

We've been crying out for a top end 12 for a decade, getting the 12 who won the last RWC is dreamland stuff.

It was him and Owen Farrell in both twelve jersies FFS.

He's gonna take the head off Bobby Henshaw first chance he gets I just know it
                              I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                                DeAllende is different gravy, I am confident he is going to be what Jean DeVilliers didnt quite manage.

We've been crying out for a top end 12 for a decade, getting the 12 who won the last RWC is dreamland stuff.

It was him and Owen Farrell in both twelve jersies FFS.

He's gonna take the head off Bobby Henshaw first chance he gets I just know it
                                I may have mentioned it before but I cannot fuppin wait to see them tear the heads off some blue magoos.
                                When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

Working...
                                X