No announcement yet.

Munster Squad 2019-2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With Scannell, he looks supper lean. Nearly too small. For someone who is rated to be strong scrummager, he seems to lack the pace or strength to break a gainline. Marshall on other hand is more of a ball player which can make for great impact. I think KOB could be a good option if he can cut out the messing. He is strong, carries well and has plenty of dog but lit spills over.

Am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by highfield View Post
      With Scannell, he looks supper lean. Nearly too small. For someone who is rated to be strong scrummager, he seems to lack the pace or strength to break a gainline. Marshall on other hand is more of a ball player which can make for great impact. I think KOB could be a good option if he can cut out the messing. He is strong, carries well and has plenty of dog but lit spills over.

Am I missing something?

The bit where some sort of terrible and unexplained lab accident merges the three of them into one super-hooker?
      "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post

The bit where some sort of terrible and unexplained lab accident merges the three of them into one super-hooker?
        Still wouldn't have a dynamic heavy carrier. It's the only thing missing from the options we have.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using Tapatalk

\"God gave me the talent but the forwards gave me the ball\" - Jannie De Beer

\"I hesitate to use words like spiritual or religious, but to see what rugby means to Munster people is very moving\" Shaun Payne

I look back on 2008 at the Millennium Stadium as the highlight of my career because, although being capped by New Zealand and playing for the All Blacks was fantastic, this was special. - Doug Howlett

Comment

Originally posted by overthehillprop View Post
          Still wouldn't have a dynamic heavy carrier. It's the only thing missing from the options we have.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using Tapatalk
          Maybe if we get a massive coat and put them on each other's shoulders?
          "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

I think Scannell's ball-carrying is better than he's been given credit for, but I agree it would be nice to have an out-and-out ball carrying hooker option. With that in mind, I wonder if Munster would take a gamble on Tadgh McElroy, who is playing club rugby for Clontarf. Along with Tierney-Martin, he was the most destructive ball-carrying hooker to play for the Ireland under-20s in recent years.

He is looking to get back into pro rugby, so a 3-month contract might be a relatively cheap gamble.

Comment

Originally posted by Mumhain View Post
              I think Scannell's ball-carrying is better than he's been given credit for, but I agree it would be nice to have an out-and-out ball carrying hooker option. With that in mind, I wonder if Munster would take a gamble on Tadgh McElroy, who is playing club rugby for Clontarf. Along with Tierney-Martin, he was the most destructive ball-carrying hooker to play for the Ireland under-20s in recent years.

He is looking to get back into pro rugby, so a 3-month contract might be a relatively cheap gamble.

We already have 4 senior hookers and 2 more in the academy, all for 1 spot on the pitch.

Do we really need a 7th?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              \"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane\"

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post

super-hooker
                I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Colliniho View Post

We already have 4 senior hookers and 2 more in the academy, all for 1 spot on the pitch.

Do we really need a 7th?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Fair point and probably not, I was thinking from the perspective of adding something different (a destructive ball-carrier) to our current options. A long-term decision would then have to be made (if it did somehow happen) whether he was good enough to replace one/two of our current options, rather than adding another option to an already crowded position.

At underage, he looked as much of a talent as Kelleher and Tierney-Martin, so I was surprised when Saracens released him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post

Just leveraging our commercial assets, like...

Comment

Great story and seems like a nice bloke. Between himself and Knox, we have some seriously powerful young tightheads - something we haven't had in a while.
                      Last edited by Mumhain; 21-July-2020, 14:31.

Comment

For a big man he can certainly shift.
                        When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

Great story and seems like a nice bloke. Between himself and Knox, we have some seriously powerful young tightheads - something we haven't had in a while.
                          Looks like he has good pace and speed from those clips
                          "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Fair point and probably not, I was thinking from the perspective of adding something different (a destructive ball-carrier) to our current options. A long-term decision would then have to be made (if it did somehow happen) whether he was good enough to replace one/two of our current options, rather than adding another option to an already crowded position.

At underage, he looked as much of a talent as Kelleher and Tierney-Martin, so I was surprised when Saracens released him.

Dont think he stood out as much as Kelleher or Tierney-Martin and I'll add Stewart and McKee from this years U20s as well. From what I remember he was a fairly solid, strong hooker who did the basics well. Cant have been too bad if Saracens were interested but there was some falling out with Leinster I believe.

There are a few decent hookers emerging in the country now so it's bad timing for him to be looking.

New Munster academy hooker, Buckley, looks a unit. Should be interesting to follow his progress.

Comment

Originally posted by dropkick View Post

Dont think he stood out as much as Kelleher or Tierney-Martin and I'll add Stewart and McKee from this years U20s as well. From what I remember he was a fairly solid, strong hooker who did the basics well. Cant have been too bad if Saracens were interested but there was some falling out with Leinster I believe.

There are a few decent hookers emerging in the country now so it's bad timing for him to be looking.

New Munster academy hooker, Buckley, looks a unit. Should be interesting to follow his progress.
                              Didn’t know about a falling out with Leinster, but his falling out with the IRFU was well-documented, when he rejected a Connacht academy contract in favour of a Saracens contract. At the time I thought it was a massive blow for Irish rugby - as we hadn’t really been producing too many hookers with his physical capabilities - but as you’ve highlighted, there have been a number of big prospects at hooker for the Ireland under-20s over the last few years.

Buckley is very impressive physically and looks a big prospect, but dynamic ball-carrying doesn’t strike me as a massive part of his game. He could definitely develop it, as he is very powerful and he has a lot of time on his side. Was very solid for Munster’s under-19s against Australia.

Comment

What sort of player is Diarmuid Barron? I haven't seen much of him.
                                When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

Working...
                                X