Munster Squad 2019-2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Colliniho View Post

Agreed. The B&I cup was nearly a development competition for us last year. Guys not playing AIL when they will get no other game time that weekend is frustrating for everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The B&I cup ceased to exist in 2018. We've being playing in the Celtic Cup with the Welsh for the last two seasons. And last year most of the A team players were playing with senior squad because of the world cup.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
      The muppets playing more with a munster development side means they play together more too. Wheres the benefit in 6 lads training half the week with Munster and then playing against one another in the AIL?

If these guys are going to become pros get them playing amongst and against pros as much as possible. Its 20 years since the AIL had any major influence on the Munster setup, **** or get off the pot IMO
      Remove the A league and commit to the AIL should mean creating the equivalent at as the too level of domestic rugby. Whether that's with existing club's being ring fenced and loaded with pros from the provinces or creating new teams where that are guaranteed AIL top division status as well as the top club teams.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using Tapatalk

\"God gave me the talent but the forwards gave me the ball\" - Jannie De Beer

\"I hesitate to use words like spiritual or religious, but to see what rugby means to Munster people is very moving\" Shaun Payne

I look back on 2008 at the Millennium Stadium as the highlight of my career because, although being capped by New Zealand and playing for the All Blacks was fantastic, this was special. - Doug Howlett

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
        I dont see the problem with using both. If there is periods within the seasons where players can focus on each. You can have A competition at atart/end of season before clubs and the AIL is really up and running and when it has finished.
        if you have As playing all year round you take from the clubs and that isnt good for the sport.
        A little bit of both gives a solution to both the clubs and the province but doesn't solve the problem of continuous game time in a professional environment for players or the idea of pro v amateur players from a health and safety or insurance point of view. The clubs also lose out as they don't know when their best players will be available.

A regular reserve competition is the next logic step in terms of player development pathway and also aids the provinces in terms of continuity and consistency of coaching and playing

\"God gave me the talent but the forwards gave me the ball\" - Jannie De Beer

\"I hesitate to use words like spiritual or religious, but to see what rugby means to Munster people is very moving\" Shaun Payne

I look back on 2008 at the Millennium Stadium as the highlight of my career because, although being capped by New Zealand and playing for the All Blacks was fantastic, this was special. - Doug Howlett

Comment

Originally posted by overthehillprop View Post
          A little bit of both gives a solution to both the clubs and the province but doesn't solve the problem of continuous game time in a professional environment for players or the idea of pro v amateur players from a health and safety or insurance point of view. The clubs also lose out as they don't know when their best players will be available.

A regular reserve competition is the next logic step in terms of player development pathway and also aids the provinces in terms of continuity and consistency of coaching and playing
          Amateurs and pros playing against one another shouldnt be a problem in the right circumstances.
          Using both provides players with game time on a regular basis as well as playing in front of regular crowds. It can help keep people going to games who mightnt otherwise.
          You can have best of both worlds with British and Irish style competition with players playing decent level pro games while also playing club games.
          a regular reserve competition can happen with players also playing with their clubs. Set weekends for A games on weekends clubs are not going to be playing. We dont have the depth to add in another tier and take all the contracted players who regularly play AIL now.

Comment

Originally posted by overthehillprop View Post

Do the Leinster academy use their AIL clubs as a breeding ground? (Genuine question)

I get the feeling, somewhat sadly, that if you're in an academy or an espoir in England or France you're probably playing at a higher level week in week out than playing for Con, Shannon Garryowen etc
            I am the million man.

Comment

Do the Leinster academy use their AIL clubs as a breeding ground? (Genuine question)

I get the feeling, somewhat sadly, that if you're in an academy or an espoir in England or France you're probably playing at a higher level week in week out than playing for Con, Shannon Garryowen etc
              you can be in a professional academy and also play with and develop with the clubs.
              yes leinster do use the AIL to develop their players. All pros in Ireland will have played AIL in the years before they emerged to play consistently with their province.

Comment

Could an espoirs/20s agreement in all of the 6 nations be established? Whoever we play in league or cup with the seniors on a given weekend the seconds/muppets play their muppets as well?

Fanciful I know.
                That’s exactly what I’d like to see- both teams at same/close by venues- would make for an even better weekend-

Comment

Originally posted by Wallyman View Post

The B&I cup ceased to exist in 2018. We've being playing in the Celtic Cup with the Welsh for the last two seasons. And last year most of the A team players were playing with senior squad because of the world cup.
                  I think we’re well aware of that- the question is about future development- and what might enable a larger squad of academy/senior players to gain more regular and meaningful match experience with Munster.

if someone is consistently crap in AIL I think it’s unlikely they will be a serious contender for Munster- it’s harder to know when someone plays consistently well in AIL whether they can take the next and fairly massive step.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

That’s exactly what I’d like to see- both teams at same/close by venues- would make for an even better weekend-
                    Id feel the same, the chance to watch the youngsters after the big game could be brilliant. Big learning curve for them too being taken on the massive weekends in pool stages of the cup.

Two munster games on a weekend instead of one? sign me up.
                    I am the million man.

Comment

Id feel the same, the chance to watch the youngsters after the big game could be brilliant. Big learning curve for them too being taken on the massive weekends in pool stages of the cup.

Two munster games on a weekend instead of one? sign me up.
                      I dont see it getting any interest. The crowds aren't fantastic for plenty of the actual pro14 games so there isnt going to be near interest in these second tier games. I'd much rather we refocus efforts on AIL and use that far better and you can develop next tier of players who could step up to pro level

One of the great thing about the b&I cup was there were plenty of first teams competing in the championship sides.

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
                        I dont see it getting any interest. The crowds aren't fantastic for plenty of the actual pro14 games so there isnt going to be near interest in these second tier games. I'd much rather we refocus efforts on AIL and use that far better and you can develop next tier of players who could step up to pro level

One of the great thing about the b&I cup was there were plenty of first teams competing in the championship sides.
                        I think paralleling the HCUP groups is the thing to do- have the U21/etc earlier on the same day/ night before - same city if not same ground.

The B&I tended to have teams that were, perhaps more AIL like, albeit of a higher standard, am thinking particularly of Ealing, Doncaster, Rotherham etc- who were almost always physically stronger- which I’m not sure was ideal- as the physical battle tended to negate other skills being shown. In an ideal world the competition would be between clubs who had strong academies, but the funding is out of the question for the foreseeable future/ hence the suggestion it shares costs with HCUP.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

I think paralleling the HCUP groups is the thing to do- have the U21/etc earlier on the same day/ night before - same city if not same ground.

The B&I tended to have teams that were, perhaps more AIL like, albeit of a higher standard, am thinking particularly of Ealing, Doncaster, Rotherham etc- who were almost always physically stronger- which I’m not sure was ideal- as the physical battle tended to negate other skills being shown. In an ideal world the competition would be between clubs who had strong academies, but the funding is out of the question for the foreseeable future/ hence the suggestion it shares costs with HCUP.

I thought the B&I was a bit like the AIL in that sense to be honest. You go up against the likes of Jersey or Ealing or Esher and you're as likely to be propping against a 35 year old tight head who never quite went pro as you are against an academy peer.

But the likes Paul O'Connell are quite effusive about just that fact when they talk about their club days.

I do think those sorts of confrontations as a young player breed a different sort of professional. At some point, getting schooled for 80 minutes by some horrible old bastard of a prop or a blind side is going to stand you in good stead.
                          "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Munsterrugby.ie have posted an interview with RG Snyman

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2020/07/...ing-rg-snyman/

Video | Introducing RG Snyman

9th July 2020 By The Editor

RG Snyman at Munster Rugby training Munster Rugby

Watch new second-row RG Snyman as he gives his first interview since joining Munster earlier in the summer. The 25-year-old was a member of the winning Springbok team at the Rugby World Cup 2019 in Japan.

Snyman began his career with the South African side the Blue Bulls. He moved to Japan in 2017 to play for Top League side Honda Head before signing for Munster ahead of the 20/21 season.

The combative second-row was first capped by the Springbok in 2018 and has made 23 appearances to date.

RG Snyman at Munster Rugby training Munster Rugby

Watch new second-row RG Snyman as he gives his first interview since joining Munster earlier in the summer. The 25-year-old was a member of the winning Springbok team at the Rugby World Cup 2019 in Japan.

Snyman began his career with the South African side the Blue Bulls. He moved to Japan in 2017 to play for Top League side Honda Head before signing for Munster ahead of the 20/21 season.

The combative second-row was first capped by the Springbok in 2018 and has made 23 appearances to date.

Name: Rudolph Gerhardus Snyman

Position: Lock

Height: 2.07m/6ft 9ins

Weight: 117kgs/18st 4lbs

Date of Birth: 29/01/1995

Place of Birth: Potchefstroom, South Africa

Comment

Anyone know how Ben Betts is doing these days? I see he's back in Limerick training with Dan Goggin. With Parker and Scott gone it wouldn't be the worst signing (admittedly I haven't seen him play since the 20's RWC)

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post

I thought the B&I was a bit like the AIL in that sense to be honest. You go up against the likes of Jersey or Ealing or Esher and you're as likely to be propping against a 35 year old tight head who never quite went pro as you are against an academy peer.

But the likes Paul O'Connell are quite effusive about just that fact when they talk about their club days.

I do think those sorts of confrontations as a young player breed a different sort of professional. At some point, getting schooled for 80 minutes by some horrible old bastard of a prop or a blind side is going to stand you in good stead.
                                I’m sure that’s true too- (they physical challenge of an experienced opponent)- but at least in B&I you are facing it occasionally, and with players if approximately your own level on your side. I recall a few games where the superior fitness and speed triumphed over doughty opponents, and indeed others where we raced into a bit of a lead and got dragged back as the sheer bulk of the opposition counted. The key point is that rather than facing an AIL side with a few academy players in your own and the opposition sides- you are preparing as an elite team to face whatever the opposition is- and the Ealings etc Of this world have some decent players .

Comment

Working...
                                X