Munster Squad 2019-2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

I agree with you about B&I - but that’s partly self interest in terms of seeing red shirts closer to what now is home. In the current climate unless there’s TV money or sponsorship it’s doomed- and if there was extra going about it would probably go to the senior set ups. Coombes, for example, is a case in point- got a senior contract quite early on- hasn’t really had a run out because of our back 3 strengths, and desire to give centres a bit of a run in the wing. So now we hit the point where the guy is, basically unproven, holding a space against a guy who probably justifies a pro contact as much as Coombes did. Then we bring in a back 3 player who while obviously more experienced, and presumably much better at the moment- means a player coming through loses his opportunity to shine. If Gallagher is better than, say Daly, and will always be better than Daly, then that’s professional sport. But that’s a very tough assessment to make, and is made even harder through not seeing how the player does beyond AIL.
    It’s the age old problem, how do you judge a guys potential to play senior rugby for Munster based mostly on AIL form?
    The gap in the standard is just too big IMO.
    If French is being look at as a wing/fullback now then the scramble for back 3 contracts next year could be very interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    \"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane\"

Comment

Could an espoirs/20s agreement in all of the 6 nations be established? Whoever we play in league or cup with the seniors on a given weekend the seconds/muppets play their muppets as well?

Fanciful I know.
      I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Colliniho View Post

And while their academy options are decent, IMO they aren’t potential superstars like Clarkson or Hawkshaw. We could see sone of the centres pushed out and Barry Daly could be a bigger loss than anticipated.

In 3 games for the irish 20's Andrew Smith showed his undoubted quality on the wing.

Senior Wing options:
        Dave Kearney(31) - 148 caps, 41 tries.
        James Lowe(28) - 43 caps, 28 tries.
        Rory O'Loughlin(26) - 67 caps, 21 tries.
        Adam Byrne(26) - 57 caps, 20 tries.
        Cian Kelleher(26) - 14 leinster caps, 5 tries.
        Tommy O'Brien(22) - 3 caps, 1 try.

Senior Fullback options:
        Jordan Larmour(23) - 46 caps, 12 tries.
        Hugo Keenan(24) - 14 caps, 1 try.
        Jimmy O'Brien(23) - 17 caps, 3 tries.
        Ciaran Frawley(22) - 25 caps, 3 tries.

plenty of options and talent in the back three, many of whom deserve more gametime, hence the non-renewal of Kearney/Daly.

Two potential superstars at u20 level next season in Cosgrave and Osborne. May join academy straight from school. TBD.
        Last edited by ScrummieMan; 7-July-2020, 17:10.

Comment

Originally posted by ScrummieMan View Post

In 3 games for the irish 20's Andrew Smith showed his undoubted quality on the wing.

Senior Wing options:
          Dave Kearney(31) - 148 caps, 41 tries.
          James Lowe(28) - 43 caps, 28 tries.
          Rory O'Loughlin(26) - 67 caps, 21 tries.
          Adam Byrne(26) - 57 caps, 20 tries.
          Cian Kelleher(26) - 14 leinster caps, 5 tries.
          Tommy O'Brien(22) - 3 caps, 1 try.

Senior Fullback options:
          Jordan Larmour(23) - 46 caps, 12 tries.
          Hugo Keenan(24) - 14 caps, 1 try.
          Jimmy O'Brien(23) - 17 caps, 3 tries.
          Ciaran Frawley(22) - 25 caps, 3 tries.

plenty of options and talent in the back three, many of whom deserve more gametime, hence the non-renewal of Kearney/Daly.
          Aren’t O’Loughlin and O’Brien primarily centres though? And isn’t Frawley primarily a ten?

Comment

Aren’t O’Loughlin and O’Brien primarily centres though? And isn’t Frawley primarily a ten?

ROL has played on the wing and at both centre positions in europe and the pro 14.

JOB has played 13 and 15 in the pro 14.

Frawley has lined up at 10, 12 and 15 in the pro 14.

Since when is position versatility a negative in outside backs?

Comment

Originally posted by ScrummieMan View Post

ROL has played on the wing and at both centre positions in europe and the pro 14.

JOB has played 13 and 15 in the pro 14.

Frawley has lined up at 10, 12 and 15 in the pro 14.

Since when is position versatility a negative in outside backs?
              Who said it was a negative?

Can you put up one post without getting defensive?

I literally said in my first post that “some of the centres may move out”.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                Could an espoirs/20s agreement in all of the 6 nations be established? Whoever we play in league or cup with the seniors on a given weekend the seconds/muppets play their muppets as well?

Fanciful I know.
                English have an A league but only play 10 games before playoffs we wouldnt need to play every weekend in an a league.
                there should be some A games but we cant and shouldnt have players not playing in the AIL/for the clubs.

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
                  English have an A league but only play 10 games before playoffs we wouldnt need to play every weekend in an a league.
                  there should be some A games but we cant and shouldnt have players not playing in the AIL/for the clubs.
                  Why?
                  I am the million man.

Comment

Wouldn’t you agree that an A tournament with teams playing their second 23’s would be a much better standard than the AIL?
                    It wouldn’t be every week, but surely 7/8 games a season would benefit Munster and our fringe players?

Comment

Wouldn’t you agree that an A tournament with teams playing their second 23’s would be a much better standard than the AIL?
                      It wouldn’t be every week, but surely 7/8 games a season would benefit Munster and our fringe players?
                      did you read my post?
                      I said we should have A games but it shouldnt be every week and fringe/academy and some senior players should also play AIL a lot more.

Comment

did you read my post?
                        I said we should have A games but it shouldnt be every week and fringe/academy and some senior players should also play AIL a lot more.
                        I would love to see a full commitment to either an A league or the AIL. At the moment it's a little bit of both and neither is working out because of that.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using Tapatalk

\"God gave me the talent but the forwards gave me the ball\" - Jannie De Beer

\"I hesitate to use words like spiritual or religious, but to see what rugby means to Munster people is very moving\" Shaun Payne

I look back on 2008 at the Millennium Stadium as the highlight of my career because, although being capped by New Zealand and playing for the All Blacks was fantastic, this was special. - Doug Howlett

Comment

did you read my post?
                          I think there will be more players playing AIL next year. Especially the younger players who need to develop physically. Sadly I don’t think we’ll see a genuine A tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by overthehillprop View Post
                            I would love to see a full commitment to either an A league or the AIL. At the moment it's a little bit of both and neither is working out because of that.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using Tapatalk
                            Agreed. The B&I cup was nearly a development competition for us last year. Guys not playing AIL when they will get no other game time that weekend is frustrating for everyone

Comment

The muppets playing more with a munster development side means they play together more too. Wheres the benefit in 6 lads training half the week with Munster and then playing against one another in the AIL?

If these guys are going to become pros get them playing amongst and against pros as much as possible. Its 20 years since the AIL had any major influence on the Munster setup, **** or get off the pot IMO
                              I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by overthehillprop View Post
                                I dont see the problem with using both. If there is periods within the seasons where players can focus on each. You can have A competition at atart/end of season before clubs and the AIL is really up and running and when it has finished.
                                if you have As playing all year round you take from the clubs and that isnt good for the sport.

Comment

Working...
                                X