No announcement yet.

Munster Squad 2019-2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wotton to Connacht is doing the rounds again.

Comment

Has Hell got a rugby team?
      Stand up for the Ulcer men

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post

We will be lucky to get a good Stadium sponsor for TP, debts on TP are causing IRFU bother and need to be addressed, players income is under pressure so if there is a willing sponsor out there, get them in.
        The TP debt is nothing more than an accounting issue within the IRFU. If Munster default the IRFU assumes 100% ownership of the stadium (the IRFU and Munster own 50% each) and Munster will continue to play there.

Comment

Originally posted by Wallyman View Post

The TP debt is nothing more than an accounting issue within the IRFU. If Munster default the IRFU assumes 100% ownership of the stadium (the IRFU and Munster own 50% each) and Munster will continue to play there.
          That's a bit simplistic way of looking at it, regardless of whose name it is in the debt stands, think it has now been renegotiated twice, it clearly states the funds to repay the debt is not as healthy as the projection, that is either down to less cashflow or greater costs.

Am inclined to go with less cashflow, yes, Munster will continue to play there but income receipts need to rise to pay debt, if ticket prices for match day as opposed to Season tickets are not selling, drop the price, it is better to have more punters inside the ground as they may purchase something else or come another day.

Standing still and doing nothing "let the IRFU take on the debt" is not the way forward.
          Last edited by Stanley; 30-June-2020, 17:18.

Comment

Latest update from JVG

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post

That's a bit simplistic way of looking at it, regardless of whose name it is in the debt stands, think it has now been renegotiated twice, it clearly states the funds to repay the debt is not as healthy as the projection, that is either down to less cashflow or greater costs.

Am inclined to go with less cashflow, yes, Munster will continue to play there but income receipts need to rise to pay debt, if ticket prices for match day as opposed to Season tickets are not selling, drop the price, it is better to have more punters inside the ground as they may purchase something else or come another day.

Standing still and doing nothing "let the IRFU take on the debt" is not the way forward.
              I think you’re missing the point. MR owes the IRFU but the IRFU owns MR. So, in reality, one part of the IRFU owes another part some money. The IRFU does not need to “take on the debt” because there isn’t a debt to an external party to be taken on.

If, due to the pandemic, MR can’t make the payments, it will simply be restructured again.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

I think you’re missing the point. MR owes the IRFU but the IRFU owns MR. So, in reality, one part of the IRFU owes another part some money. The IRFU does not need to “take on the debt” because there isn’t a debt to an external party to be taken on.

If, due to the pandemic, MR can’t make the payments, it will simply be restructured again.
                The pandemic financial woes and the Thomond Park debt aren't really linked. Despite the absolute guff reported in the Irish Times by Cummoski Munster are actually possibly in the best position of the provinces. Largest stadium means that we have potential for biggest crowds even with social distancing. Leinster for example still have a lease on RDS which they need to pay and even if they need to move games to the Aviva then they have to pay rent on two grounds for one match.

Munster are looking to finance Thomond debt through 10 year ticket sales and stadium naming rights. Ten year ticket renewals took place well before Covid and the money is in the bank already. Even if Munster defaulted on the stadium loan it's only an internal accounting issue between two entities of the same organisation.

The real problem for Munster is that as part of the previous restructuring Munster have given up to the IRFU match day revenue streams. That is money Munster should be keeping and putting back into their own budget for non centrally contracted players or whatever they deem fit. Also the naming money should it happen will now be shared with the IRFU not kept by Munster. It is these revenue streams that are differentiators between the provinces in terms of money. At the moment our new RWC winners are being paid for from outside our standard budget but it's hard to know how long that's sustainable.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using Tapatalk

\"God gave me the talent but the forwards gave me the ball\" - Jannie De Beer

\"I hesitate to use words like spiritual or religious, but to see what rugby means to Munster people is very moving\" Shaun Payne

I look back on 2008 at the Millennium Stadium as the highlight of my career because, although being capped by New Zealand and playing for the All Blacks was fantastic, this was special. - Doug Howlett

Comment

Wasn't there an interview with the Munster CEO not long ago that was markedly relaxed about the TP debt?
                  "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

I find the discussion on Munster having multiple playmakers very interesting. In Saracens’ and Connacht’s ( when Lam was coach ) attacking formations, there seemed to be more of an emphasis on developing the front-row players as playmakers and decentralizing the decision making from the 10, rather than having two set-in-stone decision makers, a la Ireland with Murray and Sexton. I think this is in part, why we saw guys like John Cooney - who aren’t out-and-out fly-halves - being able to step up and play at 10 without effecting Connacht too much.

Killer’s comments on munster’s attacking formation were insightful on the HOR podcast. He was basically saying that JVG was a big believer in the 2-4-2 formation that Penny tried to bring in 8 years ago. With that in mind, James French being one of four academy guys training with the senior squad is striking. He played most of his youth career in the back-row and is a very mobile and powerful prop - who could be well suited to playing that Buckley/Vunipola playmaking role as a first receiver. Ahern likewise, also seems like he would be well suited to playing either the Muldowney playmaking role or the DOC wide carrying-role.

Comment

Interesting interview with POM from the42.ie

Munster changes, the trophy hunt, Ireland's hurt - O'Mahony refreshed for rugby return

The 30-year-old feels he has benefitted from the lockdown.

21 minutes ago 535 Views No Comments
                      Share Tweet Email
                      BACK INTO THE swing of things over the past week with a Bronco test, weights sessions, and the rest of the slog that’s involved in pre-season, Peter O’Mahony is already beginning to feel like the lockdown is in the distant past.

But the 30-year-old has been appreciative of the opportunity that rugby’s shutdown from March onwards provided. It meant family time and a chance to get a breather from the non-stop battering that’s involved in professional rugby.

While some have already written him off as being in decline, the Munster and Ireland flanker has a feeling that the extended break has been good for his longevity.

“I think it was great,” said O’Mahony today. “For someone around my age who, even speaking to a few of the guys who have finished up, I haven’t really had any long-term injury, touch wood, since the 2015 World Cup.

GreenAware ambassador Peter O'Mahony.Source: Dan Sheridan/INPHO

“So I’ve pretty much as good as played every game since then. It’s been a big workload on my body.

“I probably couldn’t have asked for better timing to have 12 or 13 weeks off from rugby to rejuvenate. Who knows, it might give me another couple of years at the other end of it.”

There is much to look forward to in rugby over the next year and beyond, including the Lions tour of South Africa next summer – something O’Mahony will surely have in the back of his mind after the frustration involved in 2017.

But he stresses that his attention is focused only on the challenges involved when rugby gets going again with Munster’s clash against Leinster on the weekend of 22/23 August in the Aviva Stadium.

By 19 September, we will have a Pro14 winner and O’Mahony is as intent as ever to lift his first trophy as Munster captain. The lockdown was good for him personally and O’Mahony believes it was beneficial for his province too.

“I’ve always said there is a huge hunger there but we needed to change some things that obviously weren’t working for us,” he explained. “I think we’ve used the time well as a group to change some things that hopefully make a difference over the next few months and might make us be able to take that step further.

“I’ve been delighted with the way we’ve used the time, to be honest with you, we’ve had some great meetings that have changed some things in the set-up that will hopefully make us better as a group and make us more competitive, which is what we need.”

Without going into detail, O’Mahony adds that some of those changes Munster have made are around leadership, the forward pack, and “as players personally,” leaving them in a strong position to drive on under head coach Johann van Graan.

O'Mahony at Munster training last week.Source: ©INPHO

O’Mahony feels that Stephen Larkham and Graham Rowntree are now better bedded into their roles after joining last year and says they’re “putting their stamp on the Munster team at the moment.”

There were negative headlines for Munster during the lockdown as James Cronin was banned for one month due to an anti-doping violation that was deemed to be unintentional and due a dispensing error by the pharmacy.

Comment

Continued

“Look, James is well able to look after himself,” said O’Mahony of whether he spoke to the prop in his position as Munster captain. “He had that to sort out and that was up to him really. It wasn’t really up to us to get involved. That was his own gig and he needed to sort that, which he has done and that’s pretty much that.”

Asked what lessons Munster can take from the saga, O’Mahony said he didn’t have anything else to add on the matter.

He also opted against commenting on Rugby Players Ireland’s current negotiations with the IRFU regarding possible salary cuts for players, given that he is part of RPI’s executive board.

With Munster keen to end their 2019/20 campaign on a high note before launching swiftly into the 2020/21 season, O’Mahony could be a busy man in a red jersey, although Ireland hope to be back in action soon too.

Their two postponed Six Nations games against Italy and France are currently pencilled in to be played on the last two weekends of October, with potentially another four or even five Tests following depending on how World Rugby finalises the autumn calendar.

O’Mahony was dropped to the bench for Ireland’s Six Nations opener this year but found himself sprung into action early on against Scotland when Caelan Doris suffered a concussion.

O'Mahony responded strongly to being dropped in the Six Nations.Source: PA

The Cork man duly excelled against the Scots and then Wales before Andy Farrell’s men’s form dipped in a painful defeat away to England.

That was to be their final game before lockdown but as the resumption of rugby looms, O’Mahony can take encouragement from his most recent form – even if the back row competition for Ireland is only going to get more ferocious with the likes of Dan Leavy and Jack Conan back in the mix.

“It was a tough way to go, preparing for a game all week and all of a sudden you had nothing,” says O’Mahony of Ireland’s Six Nations campaign being halted by the Covid-19 outbreak. “It was very strange but these things happen

“I was happy with some aspects [of his performances]. There’s always lots of stuff to work on, in my opinion.

“It was a pity to go out the way we went out in our last game because I think we’re better than that. That was probably the thing that hurt the most.

“Hopefully we’ll get a chance to get back out there, some of us certainly will, we don’t know who yet but we need to put that last performance right.”

Comment

Alex Wootton joining Connacht on a one-year loan. Reading that article, I didn't realise/had forgotten he'd been with us so long - joined the Academy in 2014 and got his senior contract in 2016.
                          Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
                            Alex Wootton joining Connacht on a one-year loan. Reading that article, I didn't realise/had forgotten he'd been with us so long - joined the Academy in 2014 and got his senior contract in 2016.
                            Strange one, as that takes him up to the end of his contract. He’ll be a free agent when his loan finishes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            \"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane\"

Comment

Originally posted by Colliniho View Post

Strange one, as that takes him up to the end of his contract. He’ll be a free agent when his loan finishes

Good move got Alex - his contract was unlikely to be extended by Munster- this gives him game time and opportunity for a longer term deal with Connacht I suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by Redcafe1 View Post

Good move got Alex - his contract was unlikely to be extended by Munster- this gives him game time and opportunity for a longer term deal with Connacht I suspect.
                                I’m surprised it is a loan. Unless Munster are still paying a chunk of his salary or there is a recall option, it’s essentially a permanent one year deal.

\"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane\"

Comment

Working...
                                X