Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Munster Squad 2019-2020

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by tippete7trees View Post

    "And! Your mother was a Hamster and your father smelt of Elderberries!!!"
    I am afraid Billy V would just fart in his general direction
    Good things happen to those who wait, though mostly much too late.

    Comment


      Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post
      Yes- despite this imbecilic act.

      Comment


        If you added Zebo and D Ryan into that squad..............
        Stand up for the Ulcer men

        Comment


          Originally posted by tippete7trees View Post
          If you added Zebo and D Ryan into that squad..............
          Both have been massive, massive losses over the last few seasons.


          Munster, most agree, have two main issues against top teams - getting outmuscled up front, and lacking the spark to unlock defences out wide.

          "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

          "Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy


          "I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

          Comment


            Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post

            Both have been massive, massive losses over the last few seasons.


            Munster, most agree, have two main issues against top teams - getting outmuscled up front, and lacking the spark to unlock defences out wide.
            Zebo was used a lot by Munster as a first receiver and we still haven't replaced the effectiveness he brought to the role. Scannell played and continues to play a role from 12 but he does so as a distributor.
            Zebo used to come into the first receiver role in multi phase play and his biggest strength was being able to read the defence and know when to move in. He would slot in as first receiver and look for a forward he could isolate and look to step or beat with speed or footwork.

            We have tried to use Haley like that but he hasn't looked as effective as Zebo and when we have used Earls to do it, it has been as a strike move on a set play more often than not.

            Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using Tapatalk

            \"God gave me the talent but the forwards gave me the ball\" - Jannie De Beer

            \"I hesitate to use words like spiritual or religious, but to see what rugby means to Munster people is very moving\" Shaun Payne

            I look back on 2008 at the Millennium Stadium as the highlight of my career because, although being capped by New Zealand and playing for the All Blacks was fantastic, this was special. - Doug Howlett

            Comment


              Originally posted by overthehillprop View Post
              Zebo was used a lot by Munster as a first receiver and we still haven't replaced the effectiveness he brought to the role. Scannell played and continues to play a role from 12 but he does so as a distributor.
              Zebo used to come into the first receiver role in multi phase play and his biggest strength was being able to read the defence and know when to move in. He would slot in as first receiver and look for a forward he could isolate and look to step or beat with speed or footwork.

              We have tried to use Haley like that but he hasn't looked as effective as Zebo and when we have used Earls to do it, it has been as a strike move on a set play more often than not.

              Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using Tapatalk
              Joey to 15?
              When things go wrong, blame McGahan

              Comment


                Originally posted by B.A. View Post

                Joey to 15?
                I like the idea of JJ and Joey both starting and switching roles between 10 and 15 especially with De Allende and Farrell in the centres.

                If adopted as the style it lends itself to easing in more of the young outhalves coming up and getting Jake Flannery more game time at 15.

                Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using Tapatalk

                \"God gave me the talent but the forwards gave me the ball\" - Jannie De Beer

                \"I hesitate to use words like spiritual or religious, but to see what rugby means to Munster people is very moving\" Shaun Payne

                I look back on 2008 at the Millennium Stadium as the highlight of my career because, although being capped by New Zealand and playing for the All Blacks was fantastic, this was special. - Doug Howlett

                Comment


                  Originally posted by B.A. View Post

                  Joey to 15?
                  I see the logic, but aren’t we fairly short on 10’s as it is?


                  Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  \"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane\"

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by overthehillprop View Post
                    I like the idea of JJ and Joey both starting and switching roles between 10 and 15 especially with De Allende and Farrell in the centres.

                    If adopted as the style it lends itself to easing in more of the young outhalves coming up and getting Jake Flannery more game time at 15.

                    Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using Tapatalk
                    I worry about this- we need a nailed on dependably outstanding 10. After that we can think about these options. JJ has been consistently good, but rarely excellent. His ceiling, seems lower than Joey’s , but given how little Joey has played that’s perhaps wishful thinking. I want a 10 who is first choice for Ireland, or thereabouts. Thinking about options to take the onus off 10 by using alternative first receivers seems attractive because we’re uncertain about our 10, the teams that use this tactic to good effect have perfectly capable 10s, they are not covering inadequacies.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

                      I worry about this- we need a nailed on dependably outstanding 10. After that we can think about these options. JJ has been consistently good, but rarely excellent. His ceiling, seems lower than Joey’s , but given how little Joey has played that’s perhaps wishful thinking. I want a 10 who is first choice for Ireland, or thereabouts. Thinking about options to take the onus off 10 by using alternative first receivers seems attractive because we’re uncertain about our 10, the teams that use this tactic to good effect have perfectly capable 10s, they are not covering inadequacies.
                      South Africa use Willie Le Roux, England use Farrell, All Blacks use Barrett.

                      If anything Ireland are too predictable because everything in the backline has to go through Sexton.

                      Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using Tapatalk

                      \"God gave me the talent but the forwards gave me the ball\" - Jannie De Beer

                      \"I hesitate to use words like spiritual or religious, but to see what rugby means to Munster people is very moving\" Shaun Payne

                      I look back on 2008 at the Millennium Stadium as the highlight of my career because, although being capped by New Zealand and playing for the All Blacks was fantastic, this was special. - Doug Howlett

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

                        I worry about this- we need a nailed on dependably outstanding 10. After that we can think about these options. JJ has been consistently good, but rarely excellent. His ceiling, seems lower than Joey’s , but given how little Joey has played that’s perhaps wishful thinking. I want a 10 who is first choice for Ireland, or thereabouts. Thinking about options to take the onus off 10 by using alternative first receivers seems attractive because we’re uncertain about our 10, the teams that use this tactic to good effect have perfectly capable 10s, they are not covering inadequacies.


                        I'm not sure they conflict. It would broadly be the 10's call to deploy an alternative first receiver - it's just a tool in their kit.

                        I can see your point though. It would need to be a "front foot" call, rather than the equivalent of hiding the fly half on the wing to defend the set piece.
                        "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

                        "Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy


                        "I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by overthehillprop View Post
                          South Africa use Willie Le Roux, England use Farrell, All Blacks use Barrett.

                          If anything Ireland are too predictable because everything in the backline has to go through Sexton.

                          Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using Tapatalk


                          It makes us so susceptible to the rush. SH never breaks, FH always first receiver.

                          It's particularly frustrating when we know that Murray has the distribution to hit pretty much whoever he likes, and we have players like Larmour, Earls, Conway who can cause trouble with ball in hand.
                          "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

                          "Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy


                          "I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by overthehillprop View Post
                            South Africa use Willie Le Roux, England use Farrell, All Blacks use Barrett.

                            If anything Ireland are too predictable because everything in the backline has to go through Sexton.

                            Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using Tapatalk
                            Sure, I’m not against the tactic, and it’s great to have alternatives and keep the opposition guessing. However if you are basically compensating for a weakness in your 10 it’s a very different matter.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

                              Sure, I’m not against the tactic, and it’s great to have alternatives and keep the opposition guessing. However if you are basically compensating for a weakness in your 10 it’s a very different matter.
                              Re. Predictability. Everyone knew that Johnny the loop had his favourite play - the loop - and yet it worked for years - though not so much these days.
                              Last edited by AdolphusGrigson; 30-June-2020, 10:18.
                              ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

                              Originally Posted by mr chips
                              AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

                                And very sensible too- the Munster brand has very positive image externally, in part because of the way we follow our team, hassle free wherever we go, and that’s not only fans travelling from Ireland but many of us who also travel to games from elsewhere. This works for us on the field, and on the terraces, and it makes huge sense to make it work financially too (as long as we protect the essence of what we are- is no Independent Park bs).

                                We will be lucky to get a good Stadium sponsor for TP, debts on TP are causing IRFU bother and need to be addressed, players income is under pressure so if there is a willing sponsor out there, get them in.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X