Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Munster Squad 2019-2020

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #46
    Originally posted by Cowboy View Post

    Shouldnt you be staring in the window of Canteen at Fla again?
    My post didn't say it was Canteen.
    Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

    Comment


      #47
      Hopefully Tadgh Beirne signing on for another 2 years is indicative of positivity in the camp!!

      Comment


        #48
        Originally posted by oilean View Post
        Hopefully Tadgh Beirne signing on for another 2 years is indicative of positivity in the camp!!
        Nice to tie down Casey too

        Comment


          #49
          Limerick gone soft. Too many walking around in tight pants drinking chai lattes working in northern trust. And wine bars opening up everywhere in the city.

          Comment


            #50
            Originally posted by ScrummieMan View Post
            [B]Underage internationals this season:

            Lock
            Paddy Kelly (St. Munchins College) - u19
            Eoin O'Connor (Waterpark RFC) - u19
            Thomas Ahern (Waterpark RFC) - u19
            Jay Traynor (Waterpark RFC) - u18b

            Backrow
            John Hodnett (Clonakilty RFC) - u20
            Alex Kendellen (PBC Cork) - u18a
            Good job ScrummieMan.
            That is some achievement by Waterpark.
            Anybody know why Daniel Okeke wasn't involved for Ireland's under 18? was it injury, school, or selection?
            Last edited by Mumhain; 9th-May-2019, 19:12.

            Comment


              #51
              Originally posted by Mumhain View Post
              Good job ScrummieMan.
              That is some achievement by Waterpark.
              Anybody know why Daniel Okeke wasn't involved for Ireland's under 18? was it injury, school, or selection?
              Thomas Ahearn is Dungarvan but moved to Waterpark for a year when already 18s but very good still. shame it doesnt kick on for them at 20s and adult level yet.

              Comment


                #52
                Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
                There isnt more from Tipp. Not sure why Limerick isnt. Dont see it as hurling but could be lot of things. Clubs not competing at AIL top level as much any more. Skills work not being put in compared to elsewhere?
                Limerick schools haven't produced a senior International back row to win multiple Irish caps since David Wallace left school in 1995. That is a collapse, no matter how it's viewed. Has there ever been an era as long between when Limerick Schools produced an International backrow?

                We need to move away from talk of what used to work and move towards finding a system that does. I don't think bringing players through for Munster or Ireland needs to be the complete end goal, but it's clear something is off.

                The answer is probably an underage academy like Limerick GAA are running and stop the schools panelling players. Personally think there's too much talk about what Munster rugby used to be, and not enough talk of what it could be, and how the overall underage standard could be raised. I'd rather see a Limerick/North Munster underage rugby academy improving standards across the board than a tedious schools v clubs debate.

                Kilcoyne is the last Limerick schools forward playing pro for Munster and he's 30 now. Strange days.
                It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

                Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

                Comment


                  #53
                  Originally posted by JoeyFantastic View Post

                  Limerick schools haven't produced a senior International back row to win multiple Irish caps since David Wallace left school in 1995. That is a collapse, no matter how it's viewed. Has there ever been an era as long between when Limerick Schools produced an International backrow?

                  We need to move away from talk of what used to work and move towards finding a system that does. I don't think bringing players through for Munster or Ireland needs to be the complete end goal, but it's clear something is off.

                  The answer is probably an underage academy like Limerick GAA are running and stop the schools panelling players. Personally think there's too much talk about what Munster rugby used to be, and not enough talk of what it could be, and how the overall underage standard could be raised. I'd rather see a Limerick/North Munster underage rugby academy improving standards across the board than a tedious schools v clubs debate.

                  Kilcoyne is the last Limerick schools forward playing pro for Munster and he's 30 now. Strange days.
                  There already is teams in place at a regional level which are the equivalents of GAA underage academy and these have been in place for years and years.
                  Stopping schools pannelling players isnt necessarily a solution. The key is kids playing rugby. Not where they play.


                  Comment


                    #54
                    Originally posted by Sketchy View Post

                    Nice to tie down Casey too
                    They have. Development contract next season, then full

                    Comment


                      #55
                      “Not where they play”, funny you should use that phrase as two reps form munster youths met with north munster reps in January regarding loans and transfers, and one of them said “ it shouldn’t matter which club they play for as long as they play”.
                      Not surprisingly he spent the rest of the meeting defending his comment, and dug himself in further by stating that maybe the number of clubs in limerick has to be looked at.
                      ” Stopping schools paneling players isn’t necessarily a solution”. This is not correct as if the players weren’t panelled they could play club and/or school as they see fit.
                      No panels = more rugby for players

                      The limerick schools have realized the quality of the JC and SC is poor due to the lack of quality matches in sufficient numbers so they will make up a league format next season to try to bridge the gap.
                      the easier solution would be to reduce numbers on panels and only have one panel.

                      Regardless of what you think of limerick rugby (clubs and schools)munster rugby needs it to produce rugby players and its clear to all that the current limerick schools by themselves never were and never will be the answer.
                      8 limerick city clubs entered only 1 team into u16 pan munster last season. If that doesn’t set alarm bells off , what will ?

                      Comment


                        #56
                        Originally posted by brightspark View Post
                        “Not where they play”, funny you should use that phrase as two reps form munster youths met with north munster reps in January regarding loans and transfers, and one of them said “ it shouldn’t matter which club they play for as long as they play”.
                        Not surprisingly he spent the rest of the meeting defending his comment, and dug himself in further by stating that maybe the number of clubs in limerick has to be looked at.
                        ” Stopping schools paneling players isn’t necessarily a solution”. This is not correct as if the players weren’t panelled they could play club and/or school as they see fit.
                        No panels = more rugby for players

                        The limerick schools have realized the quality of the JC and SC is poor due to the lack of quality matches in sufficient numbers so they will make up a league format next season to try to bridge the gap.
                        the easier solution would be to reduce numbers on panels and only have one panel.

                        Regardless of what you think of limerick rugby (clubs and schools)munster rugby needs it to produce rugby players and its clear to all that the current limerick schools by themselves never were and never will be the answer.
                        8 limerick city clubs entered only 1 team into u16 pan munster last season. If that doesn’t set alarm bells off , what will ?
                        Limerick/North Munster wants the best of both worlds and that cant happen unless you get schools not playing on weekends then you can have schools mid week and clubs at weekends but until things like that happen then there must be some form of restriction.
                        There needs to be some form of panelling/restriction or you will just see some kids play/start for both club and school and others play much much less rugby.

                        Comment


                          #57
                          I reckon safety concerns on behalf of parents is the major issue, much more reporting of and insight into head and neck injuries and cost of physio/A&E visits for shoulder/knee/ankle injuries.
                          The game, as we continue to play it, is overly confrontational.
                          Gwan Joe!!

                          Comment


                            #58
                            Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
                            There already is teams in place at a regional level which are the equivalents of GAA underage academy and these have been in place for years and years.
                            Stopping schools pannelling players isnt necessarily a solution. The key is kids playing rugby. Not where they play.
                            Tbf, it isn't, or at least, it's more than that. It's also ensuring kids are learning the right skills etc.

                            Though. I am absolutely open to suggestions as to why Limerick schools no longer produce forwards. Amazing there hasn't been one pro good enough for a lengthy career with Munster since Kilcoyne left school 12 years (or so) ago. St Michaels has produced more international forwards, let alone provincial players, than the entire of Limerick city in the last decade.
                            It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

                            Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

                            Comment


                              #59
                              Originally posted by ustix View Post
                              I reckon safety concerns on behalf of parents is the major issue, much more reporting of and insight into head and neck injuries and cost of physio/A&E visits for shoulder/knee/ankle injuries.
                              The game, as we continue to play it, is overly confrontational.
                              Safety isnt really an issue in many other places so cant see why its issue in Limerick only

                              Comment


                                #60
                                Originally posted by JoeyFantastic View Post

                                Tbf, it isn't, or at least, it's more than that. It's also ensuring kids are learning the right skills etc.

                                Though. I am absolutely open to suggestions as to why Limerick schools no longer produce forwards. Amazing there hasn't been one pro good enough for a lengthy career with Munster since Kilcoyne left school 12 years (or so) ago. St Michaels has produced more international forwards, let alone provincial players, than the entire of Limerick city in the last decade.
                                Michaels have came from nowhere and have spent a lot of money doing it. Not any comparison to Limerick or anywhere else in province. Their budget is ridiculous compared to anything in the province down here. The key is kids playing the sport first and foremost.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X